Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-specific Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This is the consolidated Marriott related Coronavirus Discussion thread. For general travel related Coronvirus discussions/information check out the newly created Coronvirus and Travel forum.

Marriott has released an official statement concerning the Coronavirus: https://marriott-re-2019ncovc.com/ See post #116 (thanks Intl359Widget) in this thread for more details.

Print Wikipost

Marriott-specific Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 5, 2020, 6:06 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Marriott rolled back the category changes for China, perhaps they should do the same for the US as well.

https://thepointsguy.com/news/marrio...ainland-china/
Old May 5, 2020, 6:10 pm

Programs: Marriott
I contacted a property in NYC through Facebook and they told me in so many words. "too bad, so sad."They are CAT 6 now and my reward nights won't qualify if I change.
Old May 5, 2020, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by sherriflinda
I contacted a property in NYC through Facebook and they told me in so many words. "too bad, so sad."They are CAT 6 now and my reward nights won't qualify if I change.
That’s what happened to peteremcc. I thought his second response to the hotel was excellent!
Old May 5, 2020, 8:45 pm

Programs: Marriott
Originally Posted by margarita girl
That’s what happened to peteremcc. I thought his second response to the hotel was excellent!
ah yes, I see that now. I will try an approach outside of Facebook. I was surprised. Now to locate the hotel manager email
margarita girl likes this.
Old May 11, 2020, 8:25 am

Programs: AA LT Gold; BA Silver; Hilton Diamond
Just got off the phone with Marriott and I'm hopeful. Briefly- pre-paid for a reservation at the JW in Quito 3/19. They cancelled- I couldn't get there anyway because Ecuador closed its airports to transiting passengers and I was coming in from Bolivia to connect for my flight home. Called 3/26, told they were 30 days behind. Called today and got someone who asked far more questions so she could get into my account- I supplied the confirmation number, cancellation number, and other info the 3/26 person didn't request. She said that it was clear I was owed a refund but they're 60-90 days late. She also set up a case and gave me the case number.

I'm still going to have to make a decision about whether to file a cc dispute in mid-June if no refund but I'm cautiously optimistic. I even stayed on the line for the survey and gave her very good ratings.
Old May 13, 2020, 11:32 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Call and ask your credit card company. I called Amex and told them that the charge was 59 days old (Amex's policy is 60 days), I was promised a refund, but I have not received it yet, and asked whether it would be appropriate to dispute the charge as a precautionary measure. The agent told me yes. The dispute process will take just as long. You can always manually close the dispute once the refund hits your account. Just make sure that you have tangible evidence (such as an email, chat transcript, etc) saying that you are due a refund and provide it to your credit card company.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:10 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Had an interesting experience tonight where I booked the ATL SpringHill Suites and upon arrival found that the hotel was closed. There was a sign indicating that all guests were being upgraded to the Renaissance across the street so I walked over and they honored my rate however there is no complimentary breakfast which is why I booked the SpringHill.

In 500+ Hotel Nights, I have never experienced anything like this before so I was surprised.

I decided to phone the Titanium line to see what my options were for this walk and they informed me that this is not considered a walk since the hotel is closed and their T&Cs indicate that a hotel must be open and operating in order to receive the URG.

They suggested that I reach out to the GM since I am receiving less than what is being offered at the SpringHill but indicated that the new hotel would honor the same rate that I paid so I guess this isn’t a big of a deal given the COVID situation.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:37 pm

Programs: AS MVPG & BoardRoom
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Had an interesting experience tonight where I booked the ATL SpringHill Suites and upon arrival found that the hotel was closed. There was a sign indicating that all guests were being upgraded to the Renaissance across the street...so I guess this isn’t a big of a deal given the COVID situation.
Yep, not a big deal. Not even a small deal. You were upgraded to a better hotel at a low rate.

First World Problem.

I hope you don’t waste the GMs time insisting on your lost breakfast.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Yes. I missed out on 7 nights in Vietnam and 2 nights in Bangkok for a Feb trip that was supposed to route through China.

Luckily, I’m LT Titanium and thanks to another awful promo from Marriott, thinking of switching my remaining stays over to Hyatt anyhow.
First World Problems.

The last promo from Marriott has been working out great for me. I have received 40,000+ Bonus Points for the 2,000 pt additional per stay.

Sorry I am not following FT groupthink and constantly complaining about how unfair our privileged lives are and how we are so mistreated by Hotel & Airline policies. I can’t help but feel quite fortunate we are to have all we do.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old May 30, 2020, 9:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by arcticflier
First World Problems.

The last promo from Marriott has been working out great for me. I have received 40,000+ Bonus Points for the 2,000 pt additional per stay.

Sorry I am not following FT groupthink and constantly complaining about how unfair our privileged lives are and how we are so mistreated by Hotel & Airline policies. I can’t help but feel quite fortunate we are to have all we do.
Good grief. You quoted something I said more than 3 months ago before anyone knew the devastation that this pandemic would wreak on the entire planet. I’m in agreement, there are far greater issues now than a lousy Marriott promo.
SPN Lifer, Mr. BoH, Kacee and 3 others like this.
Old May 30, 2020, 9:29 pm

Since each of us has equal say on this forum, I would like to suggest a Paradigm shift.

Lets each promise to make posts that are not filled with petty hotel experiences & negativity.

Please, no more threatening to change to a new Hotel Group. Either Do it or Don’t. There is no Maybe.

Please, do not assume every one is as unhappy as you about Bonvoy. Or about life in general.

Please do continue with the pompous and arrogant bragging of which 5-Stars you just found respite. It so reminds me of the Grey Poupon TV commercial of the 80’s and always makes me laugh.
Old May 30, 2020, 11:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Intl359Widget
Had an interesting experience tonight where I booked the ATL SpringHill Suites and upon arrival found that the hotel was closed.
Understood that it's a brave new world, but they could have at least notified you by email. Did your reservation still show as live in the App?
Old May 31, 2020, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
Understood that it's a brave new world, but they could have at least notified you by email. Did your reservation still show as live in the App?
That is the odd part, I did not receive any kind of notification from the property until I arrived at their location which is one of my pet peeves. The stay at the Renaissance was superb and they upgraded me to a Suite so I'm not bothered considering that they honored my previous rate which was much lower than what the Renaissance was asking for when I first booked.

I did suggest to the FDA that the SpringHill should give some kind of heads up in advance if possible so customers aren't confused.

All's well that ends well.
margarita girl and Kacee like this.
Old May 31, 2020, 9:49 am

Originally Posted by arcticflier
Yep, not a big deal. Not even a small deal. You were upgraded to a better hotel at a low rate.

First World Problem.

I hope you don’t waste the GMs time insisting on your lost breakfast.
Cryptic much? It is indeed a First World Problem but the fact that the hotel that I booked with didn't notify me of the change which can appear to be misleading considering they're now still selling rooms while being closed.
SPN Lifer and unclepants like this.
Old May 31, 2020, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Not to mention that you do, indeed, live in the First World.
Intl359Widget likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.