Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott-specific Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 6, 2020, 5:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: hhoope01
This is the consolidated Marriott related Coronavirus Discussion thread. For general travel related Coronvirus discussions/information check out the newly created Coronvirus and Travel forum.

Marriott has released an official statement concerning the Coronavirus: https://marriott-re-2019ncovc.com/ See post #116 (thanks Intl359Widget) in this thread for more details.

Print Wikipost

Marriott-specific Coronavirus Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2020, 11:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Hilton has announced that all reservations worldwide, including advance purchase and noncancellable, may be cancelled up to 24 hours prior to arrival without charge.

Meanwhile silence from Marriott.
Rd3 likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 1:29 am

Programs: Marriott TITANIUM, BWR Dia, IHG, Millemiglia Alitalia
Originally Posted by Kacee
Hilton has announced that all reservations worldwide, including advance purchase and noncancellable, may be cancelled up to 24 hours prior to arrival without charge.

Meanwhile silence from Marriott.
Hilton announced also that some news will be soon released about earning/keeping ELITE STATUS for 2021 .
Hope the same from Marriott since I live in Italy and I am not able to travel at all now !!
Old Mar 12, 2020, 3:30 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by outlawashere
Maybe Marriott is trying to cull their platinum and titanium member?
the members might just switch side as sometimes the factor that bring members book marriott is their elite benefit.

and the perception of marriott ignorance will make more people leaving.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 4:19 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
I keep getting emails from Hyatt about coronavirus. I might've missed it but I don't think I've gotten anything from Marriott and I live in the main danger area most of the time...

​​​​​​I truly think United and perhaps Marriott want to use this to cull/ get rid of elites and their heavy costs. The reality is Marriott doesn't want the high tier elites that choose to be w Marriott... They want people who stay 20-40 nights a year and are thrilled with a free glass of wine or road warriors that are forced to stay at Marriott because of corporate contracts

​​
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Ok so now a total ban of travel from Europe to the USA which all but ensures corporate travel grinds to a halt even domestically in the us. The Nba season is suspended, NCAA games to be played without fans, nhl likely to suspend too

if Marriott doesnt extend status now they have their collective heads up their ...
Old Mar 12, 2020, 5:54 am
htb

Programs: UA*G(1K), PC Diamond Amb, Marriott Titanium, Accor Platinum
I've received an email from IHG regarding cancellation policies, and that they've cut Elite requirements by 25% or more.
Looking forward to something similar form Marriott. I'll be at 46 nights at the end of March...
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:33 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
If Marriott do not make an announcement by the end of the day it feels like they are very much out of touch with the world and more importantly their customers and it does not reflect well on them and certainly would give even more validity to the thought process they really don't care about anything apart from short term bottom line.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:51 am

Programs: SQ Krisflyer, QR Privilege Club, MB LT Plt (1K+ nights thx MB)
Maybe MAR IT have difficulties to cope with system wide ad-hoc extension of account status, who knows ... the impression of their IT is extreme incompetence.
unclepants likes this.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
Originally Posted by Nuhusky
The Nba season is suspended, NCAA games to be played without fans, nhl likely to suspend too

if Marriott doesnt extend status now they have their collective heads up their ...
Yeah, so you're travelling somewhere for that basketballl game and it's cancelled. Your airline will allow you to cancel or change without penalty, but Marriott won't allow you to cancel your hotel reservation. Nice.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:04 am

Just came here to see what’s up with Marriott and it looks like they really don’t have their act together. I changed my flight to leave MUC Friday instead of Saturday anticipating that Saturday will be a nightmare going back to the US. Contacted the Le Méridien and they are charging a 90% cancellation fee for Friday night. FWIW I’m plat, not sure that means anything.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by thelark
Just came here to see what’s up with Marriott and it looks like they really don’t have their act together. I changed my flight to leave MUC Friday instead of Saturday anticipating that Saturday will be a nightmare going back to the US. Contacted the Le Méridien and they are charging a 90% cancellation fee for Friday night. FWIW I’m plat, not sure that means anything.
chargeback
Old Mar 12, 2020, 7:58 am

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
If Marriott do not make an announcement by the end of the day it feels like they are very much out of touch with the world and more importantly their customers and it does not reflect well on them and certainly would give even more validity to the thought process they really don't care about anything apart from short term bottom line.
Marriott is greedier than Hilton
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:02 am

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by htb
I've received an email from IHG regarding cancellation policies, and that they've cut Elite requirements by 25% or more.
Looking forward to something similar form Marriott. I'll be at 46 nights at the end of March...
I'm currently at 30 Nights for 2020 and just canceled 9 remaining nights for March with no reservations for April.

I might have to cancel my trip in May (That would be a reduction of an additional 8 nights) which means I'll be somewhat behind in my YoY Marriott stays so I'm hoping to see something similar to offset the weakened demand environment.
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:04 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by hoipolloi
chargeback
Under what terms would that be approved?
Old Mar 12, 2020, 8:07 am

Originally Posted by hoipolloi
Marriott is greedier than Hilton
Which is becoming more obvious to everyone!

I think its to early for hotel groups to announce if criteria for qualification will be altered, but they should take the stress away from people wit booked travel over the next several weeks and allow all reservations to be cancellable like Hilton. If they don't they really are abusing the situation and making things a lot more stressful for people already suffering!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.