Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

2020 Category Changes : effective March 4, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10

https://points-redemption.marriott.c...arriott-bonvoy

Annual hotel category changes will take effect March 4, 2020

Official notification :

Category Changes
This year’s category changes will take effect on March 4 giving our members a month’s advance notice to make informed decisions about redeeming their points for stays. Access the complete list of hotels for each redemption category and learn more here.
Across the Marriott Bonvoy portfolio of participating hotels:
· 71% will remain unchanged while 29% will be affected by the 2020 annual category change process with 7% of hotels decreasing in points needed for a free night and 22% are increasing.
· Most of the 2020 annual category change movement (84%) takes place between categories 1-5 for a standard redemption stay.
In the next month, take a look at your upcoming stays to see if you should lock in rates now (make sure to attach a certificate to your stay), or redeem after March 4 at some great hotels that are moving down in category, like JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach or W Aspen.

Inventory Controls
Every hotel participating in our travel program offers members standard rooms for award redemptions every day of the year. However, during the busiest times of the year, participating hotels may limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption, but only for a predetermined number of days annually.
Previously, only some hotel brands had access to inventory controls. This tool will be extended to all hotels beginning today. With this modification we’ve also added restrictions. The number of days hotels can use inventory controls is being reduced. This will result in fewer days in total subject to inventory controls portfolio-wide in 2020 compared to 2019. This change will have no impact on stays that are already booked.

Print Wikipost

2020 Category Changes : effective March 4, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:07 pm

Sheraton Grand Wuhan now up from cat 2 to cat 3 - just way too high for that property; gonna have to change my vacation plans now.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 6:21 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by bosleto
Sheraton Grand Wuhan now up from cat 2 to cat 3 - just way too high for that property; gonna have to change my vacation plans now.
Its a much nicer property than Sheraton Grand Shanghai, which is going to cat 4 I think
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:00 pm

Programs: World of Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy LTP; IHG Plat
This is really bad change. however I have no tons of point anyway. In my country there is no co-branded credit card to rack them up. (Just earned points from hotel stay only.)

it seems to me that marriott is trying to promote their legacy branded hotels to higher category and demote spg legacy branded hotels to lower category.

Ex. 28 hotels entering cat 8, 17 of which are marriott legacy branded hotels.
4 hotels leaving cat 8, all of them are spg legacy branded hotels.

anyway, this year is the last year that i will give most of my hotel stay to marriott as i want 1 more year to achieve lifetime platinum status with them. In 2021 i will go back to Hyatt and chasing their globalist status.
EuropeanPete and lsquare like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:17 pm

Programs: Marriot Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by sdix
Inventory control. Ugh.........
I’ve not been following this. Does inventory control mean some properties will not allow more than x rooms with points? I’m used to airlines where usually the last seat on the plane is available for points, if you’re willing to spend.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:21 pm

So what did you expect? Marriott CEO Ari(?) is just a clone of Doug Parker at AA.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:34 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Radisson Gold, Hyatt Globalist, M life Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by mrmoo
I’ve not been following this. Does inventory control mean some properties will not allow more than x rooms with points? I’m used to airlines where usually the last seat on the plane is available for points, if you’re willing to spend.
It means hotels can block awards on some nights. Now limited to 10 nights a year.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:42 pm

Originally Posted by jn in ca
It means hotels can block awards on some nights. Now limited to 10 nights a year.
The 10 nights a year limit is a fig leaf. They can chop a day each out of all the big peak travel weeks (e.g. Christmas, Thanksgiving, Spring Break) or for sports towns the night before each big home game and still effectively eliminate redemptions with an above average value.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:44 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Earn & Burn

Earn & Burn & Hoard

Earn & Burn & Hoard & Devaluation...

Time to burn my 1.05M stash of BonVoyage Points
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachfan
so many new cat 8s, a cat 9 can’t be far behind.

brutal for certs but even more brutal for cat 6 or cat 7. I’ve already defected,
at least they gave notice, so I can book a couple soon to be cat 8s.
I'm gonna book a cat 7 at peak rate that is going up to cat 8. Hopefully, after the category changes take effect, their wonky IT will lead to me being eligible for a points adjustment
Old Feb 5, 2020, 8:55 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Where do you see ten nights per year? The Lurker did not post the number of days.

Originally Posted by jn in ca
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:09 pm

Going to have to book some stays before March to draw down my ~1.1M balance, and glad I’ve burned ~700k the past year...RC Kapalua, Marriott Wailea and Mauna Kea all going up a category. StR Punta Mita too.

Am somewhat tied to Marriott based on availability, but will start to ALWAYS look for something Hyatt in the future. Seems awfully short-sighted.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Unobtainium, Delta Diamond
Originally Posted by pbfoot
Going to have to book some stays before March to draw down my ~1.1M balance, and glad I’ve burned ~700k the past year...RC Kapalua, Marriott Wailea and Mauna Kea all going up a category. StR Punta Mita too.

Am somewhat tied to Marriott based on availability, but will start to ALWAYS look for something Hyatt in the future. Seems awfully short-sighted.
This really sucks... Mauna Kea on the big island was on my list of places to return. I am sad that the Mauna Kea is going up to category 7.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 9:33 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by dcstudent
Where do you see ten nights per year? The Lurker did not post the number of days.
Marriott stated that properties wouldn't be able to request as many controlled dates but I don't see anywhere where they explicitly said only 10 per year.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:27 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I’ve literally never been in this situation, but I’m holding a reservation for a hotel (the Ile des Pins) that’s going down a category. Will the Lurkers be able to refund me the difference? As there’s no more availability for my dates, I can’t cancel and rebook.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 11:19 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Marriott stated that properties wouldn't be able to request as many controlled dates but I don't see anywhere where they explicitly said only 10 per year.
According to Gary Leff, Marriotts previously got 10 nights automatically, and could request up to 60. Marriott Adds Capacity Controls All of which is somewhat academic, since Marriott doesn't enforce rules against renegade properties.
EuropeanPete likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.