Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

2020 Category Changes : effective March 4, 2020

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 5, 2020, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CodeAdam10

https://points-redemption.marriott.c...arriott-bonvoy

Annual hotel category changes will take effect March 4, 2020

Official notification :

Category Changes
This year’s category changes will take effect on March 4 giving our members a month’s advance notice to make informed decisions about redeeming their points for stays. Access the complete list of hotels for each redemption category and learn more here.
Across the Marriott Bonvoy portfolio of participating hotels:
· 71% will remain unchanged while 29% will be affected by the 2020 annual category change process with 7% of hotels decreasing in points needed for a free night and 22% are increasing.
· Most of the 2020 annual category change movement (84%) takes place between categories 1-5 for a standard redemption stay.
In the next month, take a look at your upcoming stays to see if you should lock in rates now (make sure to attach a certificate to your stay), or redeem after March 4 at some great hotels that are moving down in category, like JW Marriott Hotel Singapore South Beach or W Aspen.

Inventory Controls
Every hotel participating in our travel program offers members standard rooms for award redemptions every day of the year. However, during the busiest times of the year, participating hotels may limit the number of standard rooms available for redemption, but only for a predetermined number of days annually.
Previously, only some hotel brands had access to inventory controls. This tool will be extended to all hotels beginning today. With this modification we’ve also added restrictions. The number of days hotels can use inventory controls is being reduced. This will result in fewer days in total subject to inventory controls portfolio-wide in 2020 compared to 2019. This change will have no impact on stays that are already booked.

Print Wikipost

2020 Category Changes : effective March 4, 2020

Search this Thread

Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:13 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
The 35K night certificates are basically only useful for "utilitarian" stays nowadays. I have a few of those a year that range from $125 to $175. But should I keep a $95 card just for that certificate? Probably not. So the Amex Marriott Bonvoy will get cancelled shortly given I already have the Brilliant

The 50K cert with the Brilliant can be used for far more hotels, but it will be harder to maximize. Still I will keep the card for now for the 15 nights. At some point I will apply for the Chase card and cancel the Brilliant.

Some of the changes reduce the appeal of off peak redemption - the luxury properties in Barcelona are pricing around $365 a night right now, and cost 50,000 in the current categories (off peak). Those same properties go to 70,000 points off peak, taking the offseason value per point down to 0.05.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
hotels that will drop a category:

St Regis Tianjin, China (it’s a rather grand property with old world glamour), cat 3 from 4
Sanya Autograph Collection, China, cat 3 from 4
Taipei Sheraton, Taiwan, cat 4 from 5
Hong Kong W, cat 7 from 8

Hotels that have remained unchanged thankfully:
St Regis Shanghai, cat 5
St Regis Osaka, cat 7

Hotels that should have dropped but did not:
St Regis Toronto, cat 7
Sheraton Centre Toronto, cat 5

Hate to see the following moving up:
Westin Kyoto from 5 to 6
Ritz Carlton Macau from 6 to 7
St. Regis Toronto won't drop with the RC also at Cat7 and similar cash rates between the two. Given the actual quality of the product I agree that it should though.

Marriott Park Lane going to Cat8 is possibly the best example of the rapid price inflation that has occurred in the past 2-3 years. I stayed there at the end of 2017 for 5 nights for 180,000 points. That same stay now, a little over 2 years later, could be 400,000 points.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:20 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
If you add the off-season category increases we're probably looking at a near 30% increase in one year. For those who particularly like the former SPG hotels what's worse is the removal of the last "no blackout" benefits from Starwood days are now completely gone forever, even if Marriott hasn't been policing it for the last year when hotels weren't following T&Cs anyways.

I really feel for people who still put a high proportion of their stays to Marriott. You are getting screwed and it is only going to go in one direction from here.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
The inventory control could be a bigger deal than the category changes. As a 35k cert holder myself, I totally get the issue about how much harder it is to use - but I fear the inventory controls may well be what limits cert usage even more than the category changes.
GUWonder and EuropeanPete like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:24 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
I really feel for people who still put a high proportion of their stays to Marriott. You are getting screwed and it is only going to go in one direction from here.
I still put a large majority of my paid work stays to Marriott - why? Because they have more hotels located where I need to travel, they have a number of hotels I like (regardless of the loyalty program), and most importantly, it is easy to earn points for Hilton and Hyatt stays through credit card spend while it is less so for Marriott... These changes are negative but they won't really change my behavior
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:36 pm

Programs: AC 25K, AS MVP Gold, BA Bronze, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
For some of us there's not really a better option. One of the cities I spend ~12 nights a year in has zero Hilton and Hyatt options. Another 15+ a year are in Tokyo and Kyoto; in the former I get better accommodations than Conrad, Andaz, PH often for half the price of those, and in Kyoto the RC is the best of the big 3 chains.

I'm going to Langkawi later this year. Hyatt and Hilton? Literally nothing.

Also, as someone with 0 business travel, Marriott Platinum is attainable and Globalist just isn't, especially since Hyatt decided to let their cobranded card be put under 5/24 so there's no way for me to get a boost from that.

I wish Hyatt had been the one to buy SPG.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by christianj
I’m not usually good at predicting the future but I think I will go out on a limb here and say there will be a lot less Marriott Chase and Amex cards out there pretty soon. For me the bloodbath in NYC is a dealbreaker once the renewal comes up on my card.
Right.
Before this annual change we have already decided not to keep 2 AMEX in the household. Now may not be any come renewal time!
The Chase grandfathered business card is $30 cheaper than the AMEX version and its FN cert posts promptly at anniversary instead of 8 to 12 weeks on the AMEX cards, that some folks still dont see theirs after that period has passed.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:42 pm

Wow, what a brutal devaluation--the inventory controls are even worse in my case because that was the only realistic way for me to wring any value out of free nights: stay somewhere something's going on based on the category rate rather than the marked up rate. Those days are gone.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by gengar
The inventory control could be a bigger deal than the category changes. As a 35k cert holder myself, I totally get the issue about how much harder it is to use - but I fear the inventory controls may well be what limits cert usage even more than the category changes.
I expect the inventory controls to be abused to hell and back and points redemptions to be nigh impossible for anyplace remotely desirable to stay.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by Adelphos
The 35K night certificates are basically only useful for "utilitarian" stays nowadays. I have a few of those a year that range from $125 to $175. But should I keep a $95 card just for that certificate? Probably not.
That is basically the conclusion I am coming to. The potential annual savings are not worth keeping the account around. My Chase Bonvoy “Boundless” card will not be renewed.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:27 pm

=> Take the Bonvoyed 2020 Edition Survey! <=

View Results
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:30 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by volabam
I expect the inventory controls to be abused to hell and back and points redemptions to be nigh impossible for anyplace remotely desirable to stay.
I agree. I don't trust Marriott to do a good job policing the number of total dates per hotel on which there are controls. I imagine it'll be very hard going forward to get redemptions at popular hotels, in popular locations, on popular dates/high seasons....Just when one can (could?) truly maximize points value.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
so many new cat 8s, a cat 9 can’t be far behind.

brutal for certs but even more brutal for cat 6 or cat 7. I’ve already defected,
at least they gave notice, so I can book a couple soon to be cat 8s.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:23 pm
Community Director Emerita

Originally Posted by pazza2000
To try and take some small positive away, is there any nice properties that have moved down a category, or any that you are surprised have thankfully remained unchanged?
Cristallo in the Italian Dolomites, a beautiful property, is moving from 8 to 7.
margarita girl and pazza2000 like this.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
I see many nice properties moving down. Several JW's, the LM Ile des pins, a bunch of Luxury collections, the Pres Wilson is always very expensive, a bunch of nice W's, etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.