FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - 2020 Category Changes : effective March 4, 2020
Old Feb 5, 2020, 3:13 pm
Adelphos

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
The 35K night certificates are basically only useful for "utilitarian" stays nowadays. I have a few of those a year that range from $125 to $175. But should I keep a $95 card just for that certificate? Probably not. So the Amex Marriott Bonvoy will get cancelled shortly given I already have the Brilliant

The 50K cert with the Brilliant can be used for far more hotels, but it will be harder to maximize. Still I will keep the card for now for the 15 nights. At some point I will apply for the Chase card and cancel the Brilliant.

Some of the changes reduce the appeal of off peak redemption - the luxury properties in Barcelona are pricing around $365 a night right now, and cost 50,000 in the current categories (off peak). Those same properties go to 70,000 points off peak, taking the offseason value per point down to 0.05.