Wiki Posts
Search

Split Prepayment

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2020, 5:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Split Prepayment

My wife took a Delta bump for a $1500 gift card. We have a November Mexico City trip, so I thought the Marriott card would be great. Then I read it can't be used to prepay a reservation (??) so I took the Amex card. They sent two, $1000 & $500. Apparently there in no way to prepay with two cards. I did the math to split the reservation but the results either leaves me owing $48 more than the card has or leaves me with a $250 on the card which isn't enough to pay for another night. I can't wait until I get there as the cards expire in July. I've called in and emailed both Marriott and the hotel without success. I would never have believed it could be so difficult to give a business $1500.00.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 6:52 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not a lot of places will do this, but emailing is the absolute worst way to go about asking for what amounts to a policy waiver.

Call the property during the business day and ask for a manager. Explain the issue and ask for the manager's help in solving the problem. Do not make it about how much business you are giving the property because $1,600 may be a lot to you, but it is a rounding error for a major property in a large city.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 7:55 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
or use your normal cc for Mexico City and use the AMEX cards for other normal spending between now and July. no need to try to manage difficult situation when a simple solution exists
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Silver, AA EXP, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
I emailed the Bonvoy lurkers here. I know that $1500 isn't make or break but it's what the hotel is in business to collect. Given the general malaise that is Bonvoy, I question the value of trying to maintain platinum anyway so I'll probably just go to an Airbnb.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.