Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Charging for drinks in the Club lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Charging for drinks in the Club lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21, 2020, 11:04 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
Residence Inn Philadelphia Center City provides a free drink during the evening social. IIRC it is limited to one per person and was for beer or wine. I have had some US IHG properties also provide free drinks during the evening social (Staybridge Suites San Jose, CA and Holiday Inn Express Houston Downtown near the Stadium). I think the Sheraton Imperial in Raleigh also provided free beer/wine during happy hour (at least as of last year). It is definitely a YMMV situation with most US based properties not offering free booze of any type. E.g. free booze is the exception, you should expect to pay in most cases in the US.

--Jon
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
I’ve always been surprised there isn’t a “What US hotels provide free alcohol” thread/wiki on Flyertalk.
GoSh4rks likes this.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 4:12 pm

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
The only properties in the US I can recall going to with free alcohol in the lounge are the Nines in Portland, the former Radisson Blu in Philadelphia
Of ones I can recall that charge: the Hilton Minneapolis, the Doubletree Little Rock
Old Jan 23, 2020, 5:46 pm

Programs: UA
I swear Renaissance Austin served complimentary beer and wine in 2016.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:02 pm

Every Residence Inn I've stayed at has either one free beer or wine during happy hour. I've been at a few that have pretty much unlimited for the happy hour, but they pretty much only last an hour. As for the FS hotels...not one every had free booze in the lounge. Either honor bar, or a real bar. I was offered a glass of champagne at check in at the St. Regis once. None of this really bothers me anyway, since I don't drink.

But, I haven't stayed at every Marriott in the US, so, YMMV.
Old Jan 23, 2020, 9:28 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Gold, Pualani Gold
It would be nice if we could add the info on whether or not lounges served free beer/wine to the master thread of global lounges that shows if they are open on weekends. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marr...worldwide.html
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:10 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Agree it is rare for a US property to have free booze daily, but they are out there. The Adolphus in Dallas comes to mind. Some Springhill Suites and Residence Inns also have this but definitely not all.

Plus I have seen many properties do a “manager’s reception” with free drinks (either for just elites or for all) on one or more nights a week. Westin DC City Center and Sheraton Baltimore North are examples of this.

Somebody upthread claimed that most US Sheratons have free booze in the lounge. This has not been my experience - I have stayed at over 20 US Sheratons and have never encountered one.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 6:22 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mr. BoH

Somebody upthread claimed that most US Sheratons have free booze in the lounge. This has not been my experience - I have stayed at over 20 US Sheratons and have never encountered one.
Same here. In fact, my last experience at a Sheraton lounge was that I was charged $50 for 3 glasses of crappy wine (2 people). There was no price displayed, so I expected somewhere around $11/glass. I haven't seen a price that high at other lounges in any brand I frequent.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 3:38 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Gold, Pualani Gold
I've noticed the same as everyone else. I've never had free alcohol of any kind in a U.S. lounge. However, all the lounges I've been to overseas (Europe, Asia, Australia) included free alcohol/wine, and sometimes other options. Also, I rarely get a room upgrade as a Titanium member in the States. I get upgraded in Europe about 80% of the time. The U.S. properties really need to step it up. If I only traveled domestically, I would lose interest in maintaining my elite status.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 4:24 pm
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Really? I've never seen this in a USA Sheraton lounge in the last decade or so, although I can think of one place that did this many years ago because it seemed cheaper than paying a lounge attendant. I don't understand why they didn't do an honor bar like some Sheratons do, nor why they weren't concerned about liability for drunken or underage people taking their alcohol. I had the impression that too many club level guests were holding the lounge door open for twenty or so of their closest friends, which might also have been responsible for the change in policy.
US Sheratons are one of the few that offer free wine and beer in my stays in the Marriott system. I was in for an unpleasant surprise in the San Juan Sheraton when they charged for said beer.
Old Jan 24, 2020, 8:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by kklems
US Sheratons are one of the few that offer free wine and beer in my stays in the Marriott system. I was in for an unpleasant surprise in the San Juan Sheraton when they charged for said beer.
agreed. Was surprised to see it at the Sheraton Palo Alto ... but then again it seemed right at $600 a night
Old Jan 28, 2020, 3:52 pm

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
The JW in Grand Rapids provided complimentary wine and beer last weekend.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 4:01 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, HH D, UA GS, Perm BonVoyed
Sheraton Downtown Dallas had free beer & wine in their lounge as of Sunday.

All big three hotel families offer free beer and wine at their extended stay type properties mid -week. (IHG/STAYBRIDGE SUITES, Marriott Residence Inns, and Hilton Homewood).
Of course, local laws permitting...

And Hilton's Embassy has free beer, cheap wine, and awful booze seven days per week.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.