Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Denied all Elite Benefits due to Online Travel Agent Booking

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Denied all Elite Benefits due to Online Travel Agent Booking

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:28 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by warakorn
It always puzzles me. On the one hand the hotels are complaining about the high commissions that need to be paid to the OTAs.
On the other hand the hotels are releasing cheaper room buckets to these OTAs, but are not offering those cheaper rates on direct sales channels.
What we’re discussing here is the hotel equivalent of a Basic economy fare, for which you typically get no seat assignment miles and elite benefits. Marriott doesn’t want you (you the business traveler) to book this hence they give no benefits or credit. It’s supposed to be sold to price sensitive traveler who doesn’t care about elite benefits. Plus its easy to avoid - don’t book through OTA.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 2:48 am

Of course Marriott will deny those benefits, unfortunately. Marriott wants everyone to book direct with them, paying a premium in the process ( 10, 20% or more), so that they can provide those ‘free’ benefits , like points, lounge, breakfast.
iskingolf likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:01 am

I managed to convince my (now ex) employer that if they book me using a non OTA corp rate I would get comp breakfast and free pressing etc, hence I would be reimbursing from the company less travel expense, which worked.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:25 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Marriott LTG, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by lingua101
is this true?

It probably gone pre-merger.

is it written as part if T&C or a goodwill done by the hotel? and I have found many instance like this in some other forum. Elite Gold/Platinum and they do not even understand the basic rules

but seriously with 2,500 nights he should fall into savvy traveler, not?
It is true...my priceline booking did not get me nights or points credit but I got the elite benefits.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:33 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Lifetimenotelite
I’m guessing the defenders on here are likely the same person and likely a Marriott Corporate employee.

lifetime benefits came at cost they didn’t come free and now they are screening members.

anyone who is legacy SPG need not reply to this thread...
I'm no Marriott apologist by any means, but how does OP after 2500 nights not know basic rules of the game? Marriott is right not to extend benefits

Nights booked this way do NOT let member accrue points or get benefits. How can one be outraged when properties follow program rules? They obviously trying to bypass paying out commission to an agent thus no benefits.

Get mad at your company travel agent not Marriott... but actually company travel agent probably just trying to keep costs down... just as Marriott is. Companies don't exist to stuff points in employee accounts.

This is why customer service often starts looking at my complaints with a grain of salt - too many members freak out when they shouldn't.

I will probably be banned for this post.
cawhite, Happy, yorkboy24 and 1 others like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:38 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
I think those on business who have received elite status, points and benefits, courtesy of their company, often not having to spend a penny themselves (no pun intended UKers), should simply appreciate this rather than complain when their company changes its policy.

There are many 100% leisure travellers or those self-employed who have to actually spend money to earn their status with no corporate rates available to us.

So if you want to continue to take advantage, sort it out with your company and don’t blame Marriott or look for sympathy from those who have to do it the hard way (and even without credit card options / nights when outside US).
Happy, Temedar, iskingolf and 3 others like this.

Last edited by yorkboy24; Jan 7, 2020 at 6:42 am
Old Jan 7, 2020, 3:49 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Actually I'd be outraged of Marriott extended benefits for someone who bypassed the system

Not really of course... but one gets the idea.

For senior employees I let them choose where to book & earn as a benefit for their loyalty. For example I'm staying at a Hyatt next week so I can re qualify for Globalist sooner but suggested my employee to stay at the more expensive St Regis next door because he wants Marriott points.

For junior employees? I tell them where to book from a cost standpoint

Not sure how employees can get outraged at how travel managers book rates. Maybe OP needs to return to his previous company
MSPeconomist likes this.

Last edited by SHLTP; Jan 7, 2020 at 4:30 am
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:15 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Not at all. They still get money.
But a lot less than they would on other booking methods
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:44 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Your company is basically making a restricted Expedia booking for you and you’re blaming Marriott. This is on your company not Marriott.
True, OP you need to talk to whomever has some oversight of corporate travel at your office. My guess is your company found a way to save money on hotels, but in exchange for whatever savings its getting you as the employee lose out on benefits.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 5:48 am

I’m guessing the defenders on here are likely the same person and likely a Marriott Corporate employee.

lifetime benefits came at cost they didn’t come free and now they are screening members.

anyone who is legacy SPG need not reply to this thread...
No one is “screening members” except for you with “anyone who is legacy SPG need not reply to this thread.” Rules are in place to protect the hard earn benefits of lifetime elite members. Yes, protect your benefits! Protect your benefits from those who do not follow the rules and try to deceive the system. You may not like the rules, which is your choice to decide. Yet you can’t arbitrary ignore a rule for your own benefit and expect the same rule to be enforced on others. If this rule “offends you” then stay somewhere else.

Oh, I am in no way associated with Marriott, but I back them in this decision 100%!
cawhite likes this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not at all. They still get money.
Guess you are finding out that those "free" benefits really aren't free.
writerguyfl, KRSW and hhdl like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
It was only in late 2018, less than a year and a half ago, that Marriott stopped honoring elite benefits for OTA bookings. Those of us who visit this forum regularly know the current policy, but we're a small minority. For others, even those with a long history and a ton of lifetime nights, it's easy to see how they might not.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Lol I wish. This is really something Marriott needs to strong arm Expedia about, these rates are meant for college kids and 20 somethings etc, not well healed corporate travelers.
Marriott should just make these rates available at its direct sales channels. Problem solved! No more commission to Expedia and other OTA.

Marriott wants everyone to book direct with them, paying a premium in the process ( 10, 20% or more), so that they can provide those ‘free’ benefits , like points, lounge, breakfast.
Well, if Marriott sells Basic rates only via OTAs, then I doubt that your statement (Marriott wants everyone to book direct with them) is correct.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:54 am

Programs: AA Plat/2MM, DL Silver, UA Silver (via Marr), Marr LTT, HH Gold (via cc), Hyatt Disc
Originally Posted by swag
It was only in late 2018, less than a year and a half ago, that Marriott stopped honoring elite benefits for OTA bookings. Those of us who visit this forum regularly know the current policy, but we're a small minority. For others, even those with a long history and a ton of lifetime nights, it's easy to see how they might not.
Agree, but OP continues to be outraged and castigates FT members who point our the facts. Personally, I would have replied with something like "well, that sucks, but thank you for clarifying what is going on".
Happy, trooper and Zorak like this.
Old Jan 7, 2020, 6:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by yorkboy24
I think those on business who have received elite status, points and benefits, courtesy of their company, often not having to spend a penny themselves (no pun intended UKers), should simply appreciate this rather than complain when their company changes its policy.

There are many 100% leisure travellers or those self-employed who have to actually spend money to earn their status with no corporate rates available to us.

So if you want to continue to take advantage, sort it out with your company and don’t blame Marriott or look for sympathy from those who have to do it the hard way (and even without credit card options / nights when outside US).

Ugh...have to go off topic for a minute here, even though I agree the OP is completely incorrect.

Every once in a while a post is made insinuating that people who travel on their own dime are somehow more deserving of the benefits. Besides only being marginally related to this thread, it's incorrect for many reasons:

1. I'd wager there are very few people who ONLY spend their company's money. They all take vacations and personal trips too.
2. Corporate money is more important to Marriott than your personal money, because it's a much much larger pool. They should reward corporate travelers the same, if not more.
3. "Leisure travelers" do not HAVE to spend the money, as you stated. They choose to. Corporate travelers have to, often being taken away from home and family when they wish they weren't. I agree with your point about small employers not getting corporate rates. However, many corporate travelers are locked into staying at certain hotels because of these rates and contracts. A small employer has many more options, and more control over price and experience.

All that said, you're 100% correct that this is a problem the OP needs to take up with his employer. Just not sure I agree with your reasoning to get there .
cawhite likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.