Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Average Cost Per Night at Year's End: High/Low

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2019, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni

I'll go low.

At just over $82 per night I am clearly not Ambassador-worthy: 80 nights/$6,597. I'd need to average over $650 a night for 20 nights to move up. Yikes.

I admit that 15 night cc credits and a bunch of award stays pushed down the average, but this year was more about Fairfields over St. Regis; Residence Inns over Renaissance. If not for bar bills, who knows how low this nightly average might have been.

Last edited by Oxon Flyer; Dec 30, 2019 at 3:21 am Reason: Change Stays to Nights in the title
Old Dec 29, 2019, 8:53 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
$301 avg for me

titanium for 2020 but I will end $3,000 shy of ambassador
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Just within the first two posts, each has calculated avg. spend differently.

Post #1 has applied average spend based total nights (paid+award+credit card).

Post #2 has likely used a different methodology. At $300+/night, and even at the minimum 75 nights (Ti), the poster would be well over the $20K spend mark if using the same methodology as #1.

Classic example of apple v. orange.

Last edited by Repooc17; Dec 29, 2019 at 9:05 am
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:21 am
Original Poster

Location: SoCal; DO-RAGS: Old Gold tagged, PIP, LatPass 1/2, AA 4MM, HH LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium/LT Plat, Omni
Originally Posted by Repooc17
Just within the first two posts, each has calculated avg. spend differently.

Post #1 has applied average spend based total nights (paid+award+credit card).

Post #2 has likely used a different methodology. At $300+/night, and even at the minimum 75 nights (Ti), the poster would be well over the $20K spend mark if using the same methodology as #1 .

Classic example of apple v. orange.
Good point, and any confusion is due to poor titling on my part. If a Mod would kindly change "Stays" to "Nights" in the title, then maybe we'd continue more on course. Although, average $ per stay is an interesting stat as well, so who am I to micro-manage?

Luckily I got my apples free at the fitness centers, otherwise my nights would be up about one dollar per.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:32 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador (Titanium Lifetime), BA Gold, Ex-Hertz 5* PC, Ex-HH Diamond, Ex-BD*G
I agree with Repooc17 - It's quite complex to really calculate with bonus nights, counting redemption nights in your total (I remember when they didn't), bonus nights via promos, credit card nights, rewarding events etc...

In my case, my simple average for 102 "nights" is USD145/night. However as 30% of my nights are bonus/redemptions (no credit cards or events, but a generous double up promotion), the actual paid amount would be just shy of USD200/night for my ~70 really paid nights. Since I stay primarily in Asia where room rates are lower I am still staying at full service brands for the most part.

Still, I'm lifetime Titanium and unlikely to hit Ambassador this doesn't really matter though all that much, I just enjoy my stays at the chain, especially the "new" SPG chains like St Regis .
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:39 am

Programs: BAEC Gold; Marriott Ambassador
So having just hit 100 nights on the nose I managed an average $ per night of $212.54, or if I exclude the 7 award nights an average $ per night of $228.54. I didn't have any additional bonus nights, the remaining 93 were all hotel stays
Old Dec 29, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott LTT + Ambassador
If you look at the detail of your nights credit on the website you can see the breakdown of redemptions, etc to get to your paid stays

I averaged $261.29 in 2019. that was $30,310 spent on 116 nights stayed (148 total nights credited)
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
my average is $110 in 2019. 34k spend and 310 nights. no CC night credits.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
$200/night over 24 paid nights (only stayed in 16 myself). 31 more award/CC nights.

Paid spend will drop even further in 2020.
supatight80 likes this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 10:48 am

Programs: Marriott AmBE ; AA EXP; Amtrak Select Executive; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
$200/night over 24 paid nights (only stayed in 16 myself). 31 more award/CC nights.

Paid spend will drop even further in 2020.

I see that you're a hyatt globalist now. i am planning to move some of my stays over to hyatt next year. I'm curious to know what you think about hyatt compared to marriott? i'm also thinking about making the switch over.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:15 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
$203.50 average on paid stays. No point in showing averages on total stays imo... who cares how many free nights or cc nights someone had since we paid $0 for them?

Quick perusal shows most who take out free/cc are averaging ~$200 per night. Except one fellow, nuhusky who clearly stays at nicer hotels than us and averages ~$300!
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:26 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
$169/night on paid stays. (Approximately, just using the spend tracker on the Marriott site as my total cost).

$145/night on BIB nights, including paid and award nights.

When including CC nights, platinum elite night credit, and the generous double night targeted promo earlier this year I come down to $69/“night credit” for the year. (I’m guessing that’s on the low side!)
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
$140/night on paid stays. I believe that's before taxes and "service" fees?
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by littlevoices
I agree with Repooc17 - It's quite complex to really calculate with bonus nights, counting redemption nights in your total (I remember when they didn't), bonus nights via promos, credit card nights, rewarding events etc...
It’s really easy if you hit Ambassador, b/c Marriott provides a summary of your nights on the App. So I know I’ve had 54 paid nights in 2019. This pencils out to a per night number a little on the high side, especially when you consider it does not include taxes, fees, and many kinds of incidental spend. I actually don’t think it’s very smart of Marriott to make this figure so readily calculable - having seen it, I’m inclined to do some cutting back next year
margarita girl and UA-NYC like this.
Old Dec 29, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Average spend says more about your employer and travel habits than anything relevant to FT.

I, like others, track my average spend and include the value of rebates from cashback, points, promos, BRG, etc. I admit that it can be fun to see how low I can go, but that's because it's my own money. If it was a client / employer's, who cares?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.