Search

Credit Card Holds

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing, nowhere!
Credit Card Holds

I have a small pending transaction against my credit card for a stay at the Marriott Fairfield El Segundo for incidentals (a cash hold). We checked out on 15-Dec and the charge is still pending 8 days later on 23-Dec. Should this have been released by now? How much longer should I wait before speaking to the hotel?

It's an international credit card if that makes any difference.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 12:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
If by "international" you mean that the hold was placed in the UK and that the card issuer is elsewhere, it can take a billing cycle (30 days). If it is small enough not to impinge on your credit line, I would wait and then send the car issuer (bank) a note after 30 days.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 1:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
If by "international" you mean that the hold was placed in the UK and that the card issuer is elsewhere, it can take a billing cycle (30 days). If it is small enough not to impinge on your credit line, I would wait and then send the car issuer (bank) a note after 30 days.
Other way round - UK credit card with a hold made in the US.

We're talking peanuts really, I just resent holds against my card when once upon a time, a simple imprint of the card would do.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 4:31 pm

Hospitality industry credit card transactions remain pending for 15 days (maybe more depending on local rules) to allow for transaction completion. If the transaction is not completed (i.e, closed) within 15 days it will automatically expire and the money on hold reverts back to the holder’s account (in fact it never left the account, but was just held until completion).

Credit credit holds are just pending transactions that the merchant reserves the right to complete within the specified timeframe. The main difference about hotel cc holds is that the merchant is allowed to complete the transaction for an amount higher than the original authorization by the credit card issuing bank when the transaction was initiated, whereas generally speaking there is a ceiling for other type of transactions.
Old Dec 23, 2019, 5:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
Hospitality industry credit card transactions remain pending for 15 days (maybe more depending on local rules) to allow for transaction completion. If the transaction is not completed (i.e, closed) within 15 days it will automatically expire and the money on hold reverts back to the holder’s account (in fact it never left the account, but was just held until completion).

Credit credit holds are just pending transactions that the merchant reserves the right to complete within the specified timeframe. The main difference about hotel cc holds is that the merchant is allowed to complete the transaction for an amount higher than the original authorization by the credit card issuing bank when the transaction was initiated, whereas generally speaking there is a ceiling for other type of transactions.
Thank you for that information, very interesting.

Do they have to tell me at checkout if the transaction amount is higher than the hold?
Old Dec 23, 2019, 6:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The reason for the practice is that if it turns out that there is damage to the room, you smoked in a non-smoking room or took minibar items just before checkout, that those can be added after your departure. Typically, you have authorized that as part of the check-in process (if you read through the dense language which is available to you in writing at the counter).
Old Dec 23, 2019, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
The reason for the practice is that if it turns out that there is damage to the room, you smoked in a non-smoking room or took minibar items just before checkout, that those can be added after your departure. Typically, you have authorized that as part of the check-in process (if you read through the dense language which is available to you in writing at the counter).
I understand. I just think the same thing could be achieved by an imprint of the card rather than an actual hold.

It doesn't matter in any case. The hold has just been released.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.