Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Need few more nights to hit platinum. Can i book for my friends and get the nights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Need few more nights to hit platinum. Can i book for my friends and get the nights?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

If I’m not mistaken, my brother used his free night certificates to book for my family a few times. I think he got night credits to his account as well. During check in, the preauthorised my credit card as well. But at checkout, there had been no charge as we didn’t use any minibar.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by CPRich
No, it's not.
Except it is in practice.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:43 pm

Just do it. Right now or in the next day or so. If it works, you will know in 7 days or so. If they don't give it to you, you have a few days left to book a stay of your own. If it does not automatically post, you could have an issue getting it posted, but that is the risk it sounds like you would be willing to take.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
Just do it. Right now or in the next day or so. If it works, you will know in 7 days or so. If they don't give it to you, you have a few days left to book a stay of your own. If it does not automatically post, you could have an issue getting it posted, but that is the risk it sounds like you would be willing to take.

What about out check out? Does any of us have to be physically there? If not, the friend will save a trip to go there to check out.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 5:52 pm

Why don't you call the hotel in the morning and let them know the room has been vacated? Gets the friend off the hook.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by xooz
Why don't you call the hotel in the morning and let them know the room has been vacated? Gets the friend off the hook.
So one can check out by just calling? If it is 2-3 days, just call on the last day?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:26 pm

Programs: WJ Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by jrey
So one can check out by just calling? If it is 2-3 days, just call on the last day?
Unless there's something you actually need to speak to someone about, you don't need to "check out". Just leave the room and that's it.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 6:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimsthe1
Unless there's something you actually need to speak to someone about, you don't need to "check out". Just leave the room and that's it.
If just leaving, how do they know if it is a late check out or not? What about key card?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:40 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
They might check you out early if no one is occupying the room, housekeeping might determine this or they might determine it by lack of key scans.

If I’m not mistaken, my brother used his free night certificates to book for my family a few times. I think he got night credits to his account as well. During check in, the preauthorised my credit card as well. But at checkout, there had been no charge as we didn’t use any minibar.

This will likely work most times, but occasionally it won't.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
They might check you out early if no one is occupying the room, housekeeping might determine this or they might determine it by lack of key scans.

This will likely work most times, but occasionally it won't.
Thanks. How or what should I do to prevent them to check me out too soon, sooner than the last night?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 10:58 pm

Programs: WJ Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold, Accor Platinum
Thanks. How or what should I do to prevent them to check me out too soon, sooner than the last night?
Just have your friend put the do not disturb sign on the door and then have him make it look like he slept in the bed, leave the key cards in the room. Done and done. On day of checkout they will inevitably open the room, see you're not there and check you out. Or to make it even easier you can check out via the app.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: Yes
Please let us know what property this is at so we can let them know you’ll be arriving, pun intended.

But really, do you need to defraud Marriott?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:12 pm

Programs: QC Life, QFF Gold, VA Gold, HH nothing,IHG Gold
I might have purchased a room and added my mum as the guest, I may have have forgotten to book the flights and so couldn’t use the hotel but my mum did.
this was when I was gold with a hotel program.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 8:31 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Originally Posted by Horace

I agree that any one of the Marriott Bonvoy affiliated credit card is a good way to get a 15 elite qualifying nights each year. However, someone who applies in December 2019 won't see the 15 nights until well into 2020.
I applied for mine in mid-October and had them by the end of the month. Might be a few days late at this point.
Old Dec 20, 2019, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
If just leaving, how do they know if it is a late check out or not? What about key card?
First time staying at a hotel?

The hotel will know you've checked out when housekeeping enters the room to find it bereft of clothes and personal belongings. They'll clean the room to Vacant Ready standard and then inform the front desk (often by computer), which will then generate an e-mail statement/receipt and e-mail it to you.

In a few cases, you'll get an "express check-out" folio under your door at about 5 AM, though this practice is disappearing.

You can leave your key card in the room, or take it with you and dispose of it later. The key card becomes inactive when the hotel's system checks you out of the room.
jimsthe1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.