Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Need few more nights to hit platinum. Can i book for my friends and get the nights?

Need few more nights to hit platinum. Can i book for my friends and get the nights?

Old Dec 19, 2019, 7:26 am
Original Poster

I am a few nights short to hit 50 this year. I can travel for the rest of the year. Can I book and have a friend check-in for me?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:42 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Marriott Rewards, Southwest Rapid Rewards
Not likely.

Do you have the credit card? $95 annual fee for 15 nights towards your status is the cheapest way to get some extra nights.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 8:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jrey
I am a few nights short to hit 50 this year. I can travel for the rest of the year. Can I book and have a friend check-in for me?
There have been a number of questions similar to this as the end of the year approaches. This new thread will probably be combined into a another.

The answer is no. You need to "stay and pay" to get elite nights from a hotel stay. That means you need to check in personally at the property. Having a friend check in doesn't qualify. Using online check-in (and then not actually showing up) doesn't work either.

Platinum Elite is a big improvement over Gold Elite. And the Annual Choce benefit at 50 nights is certainly worth achieving.

Consider looking for cheap rates in your area. You don't even have to sleep in the room.

Originally Posted by TXJeepGuy
Not likely.

Do you have the credit card? $95 annual fee for 15 nights towards your status is the cheapest way to get some extra nights.
I agree that any one of the Marriott Bonvoy affiliated credit card is a good way to get a 15 elite qualifying nights each year. However, someone who applies in December 2019 won't see the 15 nights until well into 2020.

Last edited by Horace; Dec 19, 2019 at 12:52 pm
Old Dec 19, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: None - previously UA
It may work, you need to add friend to reservation, but theres a risk your points wont post and a low risk of being flagged for abusing program rules.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
It may work, you need to add friend to reservation, but theres a risk your points wont post and a low risk of being flagged for abusing program rules.
I know someone who has done this and had no problem. It is certainly against Marriott policy, and in my estimation, not worth the risk of being fired from Bonvoy.and forfeiting points.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: Yes

In a nutshell, you’re asking if you cheat will you get away with it.

Please don’t do this. Not only does it violate the program rules, it dilutes the program before those of us who have earned the status.
MSPeconomist and Beano like this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Sorry. I wasn’t cleared before. I have already got 15 from credit card. I wanted to use points to book a cat 1 too book under my name and have a friend who can go check in added to the reservation. Would this be too risky if he go check in by himself? I don’t need points. Just a few more nights.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:08 pm
Original Poster

I think I had seen somewhere that people use points to book for others. Will the point owner get the nights?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:17 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I think I had seen somewhere that people use points to book for others. Will the point owner get the nights?
No. The proper way to do this is to gift the award cert, the certificate is put in the other parties name - no nights for you. If you just make an online award booking for others it's still in your name and they may not be allowed to check in.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:32 pm

Sorry. I wasn’t cleared before. I have already got 15 from credit card. I wanted to use points to book a cat 1 too book under my name and have a friend who can go check in added to the reservation. Would this be too risky if he go check in by himself? I don’t need points. Just a few more nights.
  • The answer to your question of will this work? Yes. You can book and add a friend then have them checkin.
  • Is it against the rules? Yes.
  • Will you get caught? Unlikely.

I don't think this thread needs more discussion. Of course people will say you shouldn't do it but it is what it is. Do it at your own risk if you feel comfortable with the risk + moral implications. It doesn't matter what others think.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You're potentially at risk also if the "friends" create a disturbance, damage the room, smoke on the property, or even just charge lots of stuff to the room, as well as if the friends do a no show.
Beano likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
You're potentially at risk also if the "friends" create a disturbance, damage the room, smoke on the property, or even just charge lots of stuff to the room, as well as if the friends do a no show.
Dont they take his credit card instead of mine for deposit when he check in?
Old Dec 19, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Dont they take his credit card instead of mine for deposit when he check in?
No.

For the night to count as a qualifying stay, you have to stay and pay. They take your credit card when you present it at the front desk. After all, it's your reservation.

Otherwise, a group of people could all share one Marriott Bonvoy number under one real or fake name — and everyone would contribute to earning status and then benefit from that status.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The rule in most hotel frequent guest programs is that for a night or stay to count for elite status, the (candidate) elite must "stay and pay."

If the stay is charged to someone else's credit card, in principle, neither the payer nor the stayer should get any credit.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by omghaxcode
  • The answer to your question of will this work? Yes.
No, it's not.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.