Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Problems with getting enhanced wi-fi with room # & name

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2019, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Marriott, as everyone knows, gives free enhanced wi-fi to elite members. Am I the only one who runs into problems with this?

Most hotels it works. But at some places, it says it doesn't recognize my name and room number. Other times it denies me internet connection (but it works if I don't select high speed). I've tried calling the number provided but sometimes give up in frustration and the rest of the times it takes an hour or more to SOMETIMES get it fixed. And you better not select standard speed. I found out the hard way that there doesn't seem to be an easy way to then changeover to upgrade without spending an hour or more on the phone with tech support. In fact even though they deleted my device from their system and I told my system to forget and rediscover the network, it didn't work.
Old Dec 18, 2019, 5:12 pm

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
It hasn't happened to me in a while, but the last time i called the front desk and they gave me an access code. worked fine.

These days, i dont even have to log in with room number etc most times. It somehow remembers me as a Marriott elite member and just goes through. even at new properties. Its magic that I dont get
Old Dec 18, 2019, 7:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Ryno1234
It hasn't happened to me in a while, but the last time i called the front desk and they gave me an access code. worked fine.

These days, i dont even have to log in with room number etc most times. It somehow remembers me as a Marriott elite member and just goes through. even at new properties. Its magic that I dont get
At some point, must have checked the "request" to get wifi with a single click for all future Starriott stays.
Old Dec 19, 2019, 4:29 am

Programs: DA Diamond(1 MM), Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador/Charter Ambassador, Hyatt Glob, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
At some point, must have checked the "request" to get wifi with a single click for all future Starriott stays.
Must have. dont recall doing so, but im ok with it. I just get the message "welcome back mr ....."
Old Dec 20, 2019, 9:42 am
Original Poster

I avoid any "remember me" options anywhere because it allows sites to track you even when not logged on. As to how it works, your devices have what is known as a mac (media access control) address. It is a hardware address unique to every internet device out there. The IP address is assigned to your device dynamically but the router you connect to translates data from this address to your mac address to actually communicate to you. Marriott likely records your mac address permanently when you select "single click" which means that if you ever connect to them even if you don't log in, they know it is your device. Another feature to steal your privacy.
Of course, what I generally do is use a mini-router (about 2"x 2" x 1") which connects to them for hotel stays so they pick up that device's mac address (temporarily as I don't select "one click"). All my devices then connect to my mini-router which is the only thing that sees the mac addresses of my devices. Then each device doesn't have to set up a wi-fi connection over and over. Moreover, my mini-router uses VPN (virtual private network) to encrypt traffic so Marriott and its partners don't see what sites I connect to.
I was a computer and network security and privacy person before retiring so I don't like private companies, who have no limitations, invading my privacy although it is impossible to stop much of it without being a troglodyte.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.