Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Booking a 5th night to get a discount, but leaving after 4th?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking a 5th night to get a discount, but leaving after 4th?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2019, 10:43 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by fredman
Ok, let me ask this: what happens if you are with a lady and decide to spend the 5th night in her room,
and maybe it is another hotel across town, and you are both flying out early the next AM?
You tell the lady that she needs to visit you so that you can maximise Marriott points, obviously.
chazas and margarita girl like this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by fredman
Ok, let me ask this: what happens if you are with a lady and decide to spend the 5th night in her room,
and maybe it is another hotel across town, and you are both flying out early the next AM?
that's what the check-out function in the app is here for
Old Dec 9, 2019, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Customs and policies differ by country.

Typical US property, just don't check out, don't leave a DND sign up, and get your emailed folio whenever the property processes it.
Final try, but I'm still wondering if there's something significant other than housekeeping courtesy that warrants the red coloring of the "don't" for US properties. While I don't want to minimize the latter, housekeeping will verify that the room is empty and will eventually come in after check-out time when the room is empty with the DND sign on the door. It's not as if the door latch would be engaged, right?

Is this about the potential of not having the room ready for the next guest at check-in time? At busy properties that could also happen when the previous guest checked out in time without the DND sign left on...
Old Dec 10, 2019, 10:41 am
Original Member

Programs: Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, HHonors Diamond, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver
I would imagine the hotel may frown upon this practice in some cases but I doubt many would try to charge a different rate. During peak events sometimes you can't book a room at all or at extremely high prices for shorter stays but by extending your stay dates it opens up rooms and lower rates.

For example I frequently attend sporting events/concerts etc and if I try to book a room for only one night at a property the rates might be $400-$500 a night or unavailable. Sometimes by just adding a day before or after the event it allows me to book a room or use points instead of paying that high room rate. It winds up being cheaper and I get two nights credit and I don't have to worry about early/late check in and out.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 11:43 am

Programs: UA: 1K, Hyatt: Explorist and Marriott: LF Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
It should be noted this will work in the US and some other countries, but some others you will need to lay with your credit card physically present at the front desk on departure, so please do be conscious of international differences.
Really this has never been an issue for me and if the hotel doesn't allow mobile check out, I would just close out my folio and state that "I have an early morning flight so I want to close out my folio" and this has never been an issue. Fair enough if you incurred charges post the payment - that would be an issue but this has never been an issue.
kalo93406 likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by cfischer
That's plain wrong. I have gotten credit more than once this year checking out between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. Is it tricky? Absolutely. Is there automatically no credit, hell no.
I’d disagree it’s not plain wrong. Under the rules of the programme you didn’t stay the night so you shouldn’t get the credit. Will people look the other way? Sure but if they don’t you have no leg to stand on.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 5:19 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
If you're checking out late enough that the hotel would normally charge you for another day then the same criteria should be applied to when you're given a night credit. My two cents....

--Jon
margarita girl likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.