Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Booking a 5th night to get a discount, but leaving after 4th?

Old Nov 9, 19, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Sorry if there was a better place to put this question, I couldn't find an applicable thread.

The price for 5 night stay at Marriott is cheaper than 4 nights because of a promotion.

Is there any problem booking 5 nights to get the discount but checking out after the 4th night? Thanks
Old Nov 9, 19, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist
The rates typically state that changing the stay duration results in a rate recalc. So theoretically, you could end up paying more.

Now, if you leave after night 4 and mobile check out after night 5... well, no one would know.
Old Nov 9, 19, 9:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by Antarius View Post
Now, if you leave after night 4 and mobile check out after night 5... well, no one would know.
Or don't even check out. It will happen automatically.
KRSW, Antarius, drphun and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Here is what the fine print says.

"When a reservation is changed and/or rebooked, the original room rate may no longer apply and the current room rate may be higher. The cardholder is responsible for paying the current room rate."

I guess if we don't say anything to anyone and just leave the room empty for the 5th night, there would be no reason this wouldn't work.
KRSW, Loren Pechtel and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Originally Posted by ebola 4 View Post
Here is what the fine print says.

"When a reservation is changed and/or rebooked, the original room rate may no longer apply and the current room rate may be higher. The cardholder is responsible for paying the current room rate."

I guess if we don't say anything to anyone and just leave the room empty for the 5th night, there would be no reason this wouldn't work.
And you’d get an extra night credit!
Loren Pechtel, KRSW and Antarius like this.
Old Nov 9, 19, 10:01 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ebola 4 View Post
Sorry if there was a better place to put this question, I couldn't find an applicable thread.

The price for 5 night stay at Marriott is cheaper than 4 nights because of a promotion.

Is there any problem booking 5 nights to get the discount but checking out after the 4th night? Thanks
No issue with it. You'll get an extra EQN as well. Just toss a DND on the door and toss key cards on the bed. A lot of people just leave the room and do mobile check out or nothing at all these days anyway, and many people use your strategy not to save money but to basically get as late of a checkout as they want if they have a late flight for example.
Old Nov 9, 19, 10:01 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It seems legitimate to use the fifth night free to guarantee an early check in or a late check out.
Old Nov 9, 19, 10:09 pm

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Dec 22, 19 at 9:04 pm
Old Nov 9, 19, 10:18 pm

Originally Posted by SHLTP View Post
I booked points for 5 nights get one free at JW Marriott Phu Quoc. I wanted to stay in the room past check out time for a very late flight.

I checked out around 10pm. They refused to give me 5 nights credit. Only gave me 4. I was upset but room manager wouldn't budge when I emailed later. She said I had to check out after midnight.

I paid for right to stay after check out time. I mean they wouldn't let me just stay in the room. So if you want that night to count dont checkout early. Don't be nice to them to let them clean early.

This was after I had paid for over 3 weeks at this hotel. I wouldn't go back because of this. Another reason Marriott has put a bad taste in my mouth.

I think I ended year w 74 nights (I'm lifetime titanium but wanted the suite nights etc
I don't understand why you actually went to check out at the front desk. This outcome is not surprising.
seat38a, cre95, ExArkie and 3 others like this.
Old Nov 10, 19, 12:00 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by nexusCFX View Post
No issue with it. You'll get an extra EQN as well. Just toss a DND on the door and toss key cards on the bed. A lot of people just leave the room and do mobile check out or nothing at all these days anyway, and many people use your strategy not to save money but to basically get as late of a checkout as they want if they have a late flight for example.
It should be noted this will work in the US and some other countries, but some others you will need to lay with your credit card physically present at the front desk on departure, so please do be conscious of international differences.
Old Nov 10, 19, 2:00 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
It should be noted this will work in the US and some other countries, but some others you will need to lay with your credit card physically present at the front desk on departure, so please do be conscious of international differences.
That is true. Generally in Japan I've paid on departure, but not always so I don't think it's a legal requirement there. If I was in that situation I might try to say I'm leaving at very early hours and would like to settle up early to avoid delays later. If it's an actual legal thing not much you can do there.
Old Nov 10, 19, 3:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Never been a problem for me. e.g. stay late the check-out day till say 6 p.m. then check-out ... they sent me the bill the next morning. The hotel gets paid ...
I have also had them before give me a the cheaper rate and only charge the nights I stayed. Never any attempt to recalculate the rate.
birdiedouble likes this.
Old Nov 10, 19, 3:25 am

Programs: SPG Lifetime Platinum
delete

Last edited by SHLTP; Dec 22, 19 at 9:03 pm
Old Nov 10, 19, 11:26 am
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
What time are you leaving on the 4th day? Any moment after normal check-out and you should be fine as can't guarantee they will issue a late check-out.
You can also ask the front desk to settle the bill on the 4th day as you have early check-out and don't wish to wait. The challenge with this is when/if you actually check-out they will see all the bags move so if you have a car or can leave them with bellman earlier that would be ideal. Simply leave key in the room.
Old Nov 10, 19, 11:29 am

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.021MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CWC Au-197; CCC Elite; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete View Post
some others you will need to lay with your credit card physically present at the front desk on departure
I see people claim this, yet somehow, hotels still figure out a way to charge people for a no-show even without a physical card...
pmarrsouth likes this.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: