Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Booking a 5th night to get a discount, but leaving after 4th?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Booking a 5th night to get a discount, but leaving after 4th?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10, 2019, 10:53 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I see people claim this, yet somehow, hotels still figure out a way to charge people for a no-show even without a physical card...
There is quite a difference in terms of assurances for the property between a card-present and a card-not-present cc transaction. Hotels will always prefer and insist with guests on the former, but will not shy away from charging a card-not-present if need may be.

Credit card issuers defer a lot to hotels and will accept any hotel charges as long as the PAN number and the expiration date are correct and there’s credit on the account.
EuropeanPete likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT; HH Diamond; AS 75K
If you elect just not to physically check out I would, out of respect for incoming guests, to call/text/email the hotel after you have left so they can prepare the room. We all like an early check in and not having a room available for not letting the property know you are gone is in poor taste.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier
There is quite a difference in terms of assurances for the property between a card-present and a card-not-present cc transaction. Hotels will always prefer and insist with guests on the former, but will not shy away from charging a card-not-present if need may be.

Credit card issuers defer a lot to hotels and will accept any hotel charges as long as the PAN number and the expiration date are correct and there’s credit on the account.
A lot of hotels also take a signature on check in, which is a direct acceptance of future charges. A lot of hotels have "express checkout" bins too

No different than opening a bar tab and walking out, and now many places take a signature ahead authorizing a 20% tip or whatever if they close you out.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: Marriott Plat, AA Gold
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
No issue with it. You'll get an extra EQN as well. Just toss a DND on the door and toss key cards on the bed. A lot of people just leave the room and do mobile check out or nothing at all these days anyway, and many people use your strategy not to save money but to basically get as late of a checkout as they want if they have a late flight for example.
Why put DND up? I would say DO NOT put DND up since you wouldn’t be able to take it down before checkout (not that most hotels honor DND anyway).
Often1 likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 3:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by SHLTP
Because I booked hotel limo with them. And the whole resort knows who I am and when checking out. Not really a secret when HM or GM sees me off. And I stayed past checkout time. I had done this many times at Starwood and never had a problem.... 2am fly so pay and leave for airport at 10pm
I'm surprised that a hotel that knows you and has so much of your business would do this. At hotels that I frequent, they let me change my stay dates etc. without any fuss or charge at the last minute (occasionally travel plans change). It goes both ways, their flexibility and good treatment helps me and I frequent the property and have brought them some business as I have recommended them highly to others.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Customs and policies differ by country.

Typical US property, just don't check out, don't leave a DND sign up, and get your emailed folio whenever the property processes it.

Other places, stick with local custom. As others note, card present, reviewing the folio with a staff member and the like all still happen. Not to mention the places which hang onto your luggage (if you have any) while they inspect the room.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It wouldn't hurt to ask to set up express checkout if the hotel offers it.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Antarius
I'm surprised that a hotel that knows you and has so much of your business would do this. At hotels that I frequent, they let me change my stay dates etc. without any fuss or charge at the last minute (occasionally travel plans change). It goes both ways, their flexibility and good treatment helps me and I frequent the property and have brought them some business as I have recommended them highly to others.

I was surprised too. I have actually sent a lot of people to them too.

This was actually one of my first Marriott experiences ever (I'm SPG loyalist) and made me realize the different customer service levels.

Subsequent stays on Marriott flagged properties have been great if all goes well but totally awful if something goes wrong.

I got Hyatt Globalist this year. I hadn't stayed in a Hyatt in 5 years
Old Nov 10, 2019, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I was surprised too. I have actually sent a lot of people to them too.

This was actually one of my first Marriott experiences ever (I'm SPG loyalist) and made me realize the different customer service levels.

Subsequent stays on Marriott flagged properties have been great if all goes well but totally awful if something goes wrong.

I got Hyatt Globalist this year. I hadn't stayed in a Hyatt in 5 years
The property I was referring to in my case is a legacy Marriott, so I don't think its as cut and dry as pre-merger spg vs pre-merger Marriott.

I'm Hyatt Globalist in addition to Ambassador and do feel that Hyatt does a better job at making their top tier elites feel special.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Nov 10, 2019, 6:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I checked out around 10pm. They refused to give me 5 nights credit. Only gave me 4. I was upset but room manager wouldn't budge when I emailed later. She said I had to check out after midnight. ... Another reason Marriott has put a bad taste in my mouth.
And you see that as a Marriott issue rather than a hotel issue?
Old Nov 10, 2019, 8:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
And you see that as a Marriott issue rather than a hotel issue?
Old Nov 11, 2019, 12:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond, BA Silver, IHG Spire, AMEX Plat
If it’s a long stay and I’ve charged stuff to the room I just settle up the day before as “I have an early flight and Don’t want any problems”

I then leave and always checkout through the app if I can. If I’m leaving when it’s typical housekeeping/turndown time I’ll put a dnd sign up if not then no need. As long as you check out very early via the app it shouldn’t cause any issues for anyone looking to check in early.

if you are planning on leaving before about 2am never physically check out at front desk as you won’t get the night credit.
wsucougarchick05 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2019, 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Often1
Customs and policies differ by country.

Typical US property, just don't check out, don't leave a DND sign up, and get your emailed folio whenever the property processes it.
Would love to gain a little bit more insight. Although I never did this myself - or at least not that I recall - wouldn't a US hotel override DND after check-out time (of course, after calling and knocking)? I can't imagine them calling your account phone # asking if you're still in your room "because it's 7 days past check-out time and well the DND sign is still up and just to let you know we charged your card for the extra week at rack rate".

In all hotel regulations that I've seen, overstay charges are incurred when a room is actually occupied after check-out time, not solely because the DND sign is still up. More than once I've seen DND signs that were moved from door to door, it seems to be a favorite pastime prank for high school sports teams playing away from home. Based on the general sloppiness of many travelers, I can also imagine that a large US hotel has guests leaving the DND sign on post-checkout practically every morning.

I'm curious, except out of evident courtesy for the housekeeping staff, is there a reason why leaving the DND sign up is specifically a faux pas at US hotels?

(This topic was featured in TalkMail 12/03)
Old Dec 3, 2019, 7:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by TGLoyalty
if you are planning on leaving before about 2am never physically check out at front desk as you won’t get the night credit.
That's plain wrong. I have gotten credit more than once this year checking out between 6 p.m. and 10 p.m. Is it tricky? Absolutely. Is there automatically no credit, hell no.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Dec 4, 2019, 9:23 am

Ok, let me ask this: what happens if you are with a lady and decide to spend the 5th night in her room,
and maybe it is another hotel across town, and you are both flying out early the next AM?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.