Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Billed $130 for replacing bedding for a tiny stain.

Billed $130 for replacing bedding for a tiny stain.

Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:17 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by warakorn
I would advise your friend not to pay it.
It does not work that way in the US.

His credit card on file will simply be billed. Or, if he is using a debit card (very, very rare), an amount exceeding the room rate by a substantial amount has likely already been "held" (which with a debit card) means taken from his account.
writerguyfl likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I have a friend who doesn't want to see the photo either.
Well, I understand his/her feelings, but 1) s/he doesn't have to look at the post, 2) all the initial secrecy has raised suspicion, and not unreasonably, IMO, as Kacee pointed out upthread. It has become more of a problem recently.
Originally Posted by Kacee
What's with these "my friend says . . ." threads?
Assuming that it happened as you allege, I don't blame the hotel for replacing the item(s) where there are bodily fluids involved, particularly in the context of a "medical condition." Is it possible that there was also some leakage onto one of the sheets which you didn't notice, but housekeeping staff did when they stripped the bed?

If the $130 to replace the pillow and pillowcase is significantly more than the price at which you can purchase them from Marriott, seems to me that you have a legitimate complaint about that, which you should take up with hotel management.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:52 am
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
One would think that this type of thing would be considered Part of the cost of doing business by the hotel. To me unless it is the result of gross negligence or an intentional act then the hotel should just throw out the pillow and put another one in the room.
flyerCO, SKRan, Duke787 and 2 others like this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 10:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Oh, the things I used to get up to in hotel rooms...
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
...I don't blame the hotel for replacing the item(s) where there are bodily fluids involved...
I suspect there are an awful lot of bodily fluids deposited onto hotel bedding on a daily basis. I also strongly suspect that those linens are not replaced every day. A visible stain that cannot be removed is a different story.
flyerCO likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:41 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by abk
One would think that this type of thing would be considered Part of the cost of doing business by the hotel. To me unless it is the result of gross negligence or an intentional act then the hotel should just throw out the pillow and put another one in the room.
Agreed. I have to assume that the life expectancy of a hotel pillow at a full-service/reasonably upscale property is measured in months, not years, so what's really the depreciated value?
Old Nov 8, 2019, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
The charge seems high for a pillow + pillowsheet.

I don't know what the actual language of a hotel is on these things -- assuming it was in the course of a normal stay and normal activities, it does seem petty for the hotel to charge to replace the pillow + pillowsheet instead of just eating the cost on their own.

After all he could've done the less honorable thing and just hid the pillow and it might not have been noticed until they went to wash the sheets later or a future guest arrived.

That said I don't fault the hotel for immediately throwing away the pillow + pillowcase and in fact I applaud them. I have no interest in a sheet with blood stains on it -- no matter how many times it has received industrial washing. I see a blood stain on my sheets upon arrival and you better believe I'm calling the front desk to immediately replace the sheets and not pleased about it getting through the housekeeping staff (happened to me this year at the Ren Barcelona Fira when they changed the sheets during my stay and put on sheets with blood stains).
Old Nov 8, 2019, 12:19 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat, United Gold, IHG Amb Plat, HHonors Diamond(Aspire), Bonvoy LT Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Count me as another who thinks this is pretty cheap on the hotel's part. Last year at the IC Grand Stanford in Hong Kong, not long after checking in, an unfortunate combination of jet lag and food poisoning led to a very embarrassing 8pm emergency call to housekeeping resulting in a complete bed change (along with a $50 tip to the unfortunate staff member who got the call). I'm afraid these things just happen and I imagine every hotel housekeeper has some horror stories, but it was very much appreciated that not a single word was mentioned and no extra charges were added when I checked out.

Of course this was Intercontinental in Asia, and not Marriott (OP's location is Asia, but doesn't mention the location of the hotel) which might make a difference.
SKRan likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:10 pm

Location: Formerly Box 350, Boston Mass, Oh two one three four. Now near Beverly Hills 90210
Programs: Loyal Order of Water Buffalos
Family member had a similar incident in India with a similar outcome. Quick and calm response with an offer of medical assistance and no mention of a charge for the damage, and no charge ensued.
SKRan likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

On numerous occasions my kid had bloody nose due to dry air leaving stains on sheets and pillowcases and possibly pillows. It s a part of hotel business.

I can see some damage claim considerations if one decides to use hotel room to decapitate a chicken as a part of voodoo ritual or perhaps with gastronomic purposes...
kilo likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:15 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Any hotel that would charge $130 for dropping a bed (I still can't picture this or any bed that would be smaller than a coin) is not a hotel I would return to.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
What's with these "my friend says . . ." threads?
Or refusing to share the property.

I can understand not wanting to divulge the property while you are staying there in some cases, but it's all too common that people want to complain without divulging the property.

-David
Duke787 likes this.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 9:40 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Originally Posted by LondonElite
Your friend dropped a small bed???
I believe $130 charge for dropping a bed is pretty generous

And about "the size of coin" ... its quite ambiguous as well as the size could range from 50c Australian coin to 5c Singaporean coin
SKRan likes this.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by azepine00
On numerous occasions my kid had bloody nose due to dry air leaving stains on sheets and pillowcases and possibly pillows. It s a part of hotel business.

I can see some damage claim considerations if one decides to use hotel room to decapitate a chicken as a part of voodoo ritual or perhaps with gastronomic purposes...
Same condition.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 1:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Confirmed
Originally Posted by Out of my Element
Family member had a similar incident in India with a similar outcome. Quick and calm response with an offer of medical assistance and no mention of a charge for the damage, and no charge ensued.
Thats what I expect from a hotel. If that is offered I will offer paying for replacing the item.

This property offered nothing. Just a charge

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.