Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bed bugs!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 5, 2019, 7:41 pm

Programs: BAEC - back to lowly blue. Marriott - Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by ryw
Haven’t experienced them yet, but usually I’ll set my bags down in the bathroom (or other hard surface) and pull back the sheets to check the mattress before I settle into the room just in case.
Originally Posted by HNLbasedFlyer
While under SPG, found a bed bug at what is now the Park Central San Francisco (was a Westin). Gave me another room, thanked me - promised extermination of the room - and that was it. Granted, I saw it in the first few minutes I entered the room when I pulled back the sheets and didn't sleep in it.
So the maid just puts clean sheets over the bugs?? It seems like they would live in the mattress and come out at night and if so you wouldn't just be able to see them under the sheets. Just reading about this makes me itch.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by JayeJ
So the maid just puts clean sheets over the bugs?? It seems like they would live in the mattress and come out at night and if so you wouldn't just be able to see them under the sheets. Just reading about this makes me itch.
?? The poster saw it in their room and got moved. Not that they put sheets on top of the bugs after seeing them.

Likely no one noticed anything until the poster reported it. At which point, the hotel would likely do something as the risk of spreading + the risk of inaction and lawsuits greatly outweighs the downtime.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 10:19 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
What is a bed bug oven?
Amazon Amazon

Or bigger
Amazon Amazon

Or even bigger
Amazon Amazon
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:06 am

Programs: Hilton - Diamond; Southwest A-List; Hertz Presidents
I was in Edmond Oklahoma at Hampton Inn (A Hilton Brand) - when i received about 100 bites. This was my first and only time I had to deal with this issue. Today, (I travel about 80 days a year) I check the bed every time I stay. My feedback however is how Hilton handled the situation. I called the Hampton and could not get a call returned. I emailed without success as well A week after I reached out to Hilton with this response:

Dear Mr. Robinson,
Thank you for contacting Hilton Guest Assistance. My name is Agnes. It will be my pleasure to assist with your bed bugs and service concerns at the Hampton Inn Oklahoma City/Edmond. It is my understanding that the hotel has not contacted you regarding your hotel service issue. I sincerely apologize for the delay. Regretfully, our office is unable to be of further assistance with this issue. If you need further assistance with this issue, please contact the hotel management via phone at 405-844-3037. Should you have any additional questions relative to this matter, please contact our Guest Assistance office at [email protected] or by calling 1-888-240-6152.

With Hilton not willing to help - I once again called the hotel and finally got the manager. She thought I was joking! A few days later I received this:

Dear -
I can confirm that there were confirmed bed bugs in the room. Our procedures were in place and multiple treatments of the room have taken place.
I appreciate your tolerance of the situation and the room charges have been refunded to your card.
I cannot apologize enough for your discomfort due to your stay here.
If there is anything else I can help you with, please feel free to contact me.
Again thank you for patience and tolerance.
Respectfully,

My take away - I was refunded for the room and that was it. No points or other compensation for my bites and discomfort. From the time I stayed there until someone finally got back to me was about 2 weeks. So basically 14 days + of other guests getting bites and tracking them home!
Old Nov 6, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Yup this. I have one. Stick it in my garage. I get home home. Bags, clothes go directly into the oven and not my house. You heat the contents to 120 degrees and any bed bug dies in 60 seconds at that temp. Depending on ambient temp can take a few hours of cooking to hit 120 but gives me total piece of mind that I’m not bringing home bugs so worth the hassle. All it takes is one bug to bring misery, and let’s face it those guys are everywhere including British airways biz class seats
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:11 pm

If one had a cockroach crawl on ones body while in bed, what would be the proper recourse? I was offered a measly 5k points. I had a whole host of problems during this stay, but this was the biggest one.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 5:23 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Um, not to be a pest, but what's the point of these threads if we don't know which hotel and how they handled the situation?
Old Nov 7, 2019, 11:27 am
Original Poster

I don’t wanna name the hotel coz there’s no point in shaming them. As I said to them when they apologized it can happen anywhere...
i started this thread coz i would like to know what recourse other travelers in my situation were offered and for a lurker to pick this up and help me out in seeking recourse.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 4:20 pm

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Originally Posted by jtrsss524
I was in Edmond Oklahoma at Hampton Inn (A Hilton Brand) - when i received about 100 bites. This was my first and only time I had to deal with this issue. Today, (I travel about 80 days a year) I check the bed every time I stay. My feedback however is how Hilton handled the situation. I called the Hampton and could not get a call returned. I emailed without success as well A week after I reached out to Hilton with this response:

Dear Mr. Robinson,
Thank you for contacting Hilton Guest Assistance. My name is Agnes. It will be my pleasure to assist with your bed bugs and service concerns at the Hampton Inn Oklahoma City/Edmond. It is my understanding that the hotel has not contacted you regarding your hotel service issue. I sincerely apologize for the delay. Regretfully, our office is unable to be of further assistance with this issue. If you need further assistance with this issue, please contact the hotel management via phone at 405-844-3037. Should you have any additional questions relative to this matter, please contact our Guest Assistance office at [email protected] or by calling 1-888-240-6152.

With Hilton not willing to help - I once again called the hotel and finally got the manager. She thought I was joking! A few days later I received this:

Dear -
I can confirm that there were confirmed bed bugs in the room. Our procedures were in place and multiple treatments of the room have taken place.
I appreciate your tolerance of the situation and the room charges have been refunded to your card.
I cannot apologize enough for your discomfort due to your stay here.
If there is anything else I can help you with, please feel free to contact me.
Again thank you for patience and tolerance.
Respectfully,

My take away - I was refunded for the room and that was it. No points or other compensation for my bites and discomfort. From the time I stayed there until someone finally got back to me was about 2 weeks. So basically 14 days + of other guests getting bites and tracking them home!
The response is unacceptable. If I had received the bites and been treated in such a manner, the response would have been to find out who the general manager and the franchisee is (on the land documents) an send them an email. The email would have included the executives for that geographical area (using the corporate org chart), as well. Everything would be photographed along with a medical report by a physician. I would be very clear that a failure to redress to my satisfaction would result in me contacting the local health department, code enforcement, and media orgs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.