Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Do you eat dinner at the executive/club lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you eat dinner at the executive/club lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:17 am

Programs: United Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC, Avis Preferred Plus
It completely depends on the lounge's offering. I'm not going to make a meal of potstickers unless I'm desperate. Other properties put out roast beef, garlic potatoes, grilled vegetables, a salad buffet, and have a wine selection available.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 9:59 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flandery
It completely depends on the lounge's offering. I'm not going to make a meal of potstickers unless I'm desperate. Other properties put out roast beef, garlic potatoes, grilled vegetables, a salad buffet, and have a wine selection available.
You're missing out if you've never made a meal of all appetizers/small plates . But I do typically prefer a higher quality for that than most of the lounges provide. The Marriott I stay at most for work sometimes has bacon-wrapped scallops and other slightly more upscale items rather than just bar snacks. The wine offering there is terrible though -- and both the red and white wines are way too warm. But again, nothing in most hotels (including hotel restaurants) is as good as you'll get in a real restaurant.

I've actually eaten dinner twice at the hotel restaurant when I got in late and missed the lounge appetizers. The food in the restaurant was, at best, just as good as in the lounge.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:27 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Often, yes, particularly if I’m traveling alone. Even more so if I’m tired, tight on time, or in a more suburban area. I can usually wind down with a book or something while eating too (or alas sometimes, do some work while eating)
Old Oct 9, 2019, 10:42 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
So does anyone have insight as to why lounge in America's is so limited than Far East. I'd venture the value of the property / sq-ft is a toss up, simply the labor or tradition and expectation ?

Got to believe if Hilton gave status match and made matched to what they do in the Far East, I'd probably move all my stays there.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:25 am

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
I'm at 130 actual nights so far this year (164 with doubles). Most have been in Shanghai, some in Beijing, Xiamen, Guangzhou, a few in other cities. Most of the lounges in Shanghai are fairly good and I enjoy the food. I was changing hotels every 4 nights taking advantage of the now ended Citi Prestige 4th night free benefit. For me the food is more enjoyable than going to some Chinese restaurant that I'll have a bit of trouble ordering at and not sure of the quality. If I go for a nice western meal it would usually be $70 - $120 for two depending. Since I'm not on a company expense account I do enjoy getting some decent food at a very good price. Free.. I doubt I'd use the USA lounges the same way though, so it really depends where you are and what's available. The Ren Sh Yangtze lounge has nice quality food with about 4 different proteins, while the Ren Sh Zhongshan Park not so great, one mystery meat. La Meridian Xiamen was very good, Ren Beijing Capitol not so good (same owner as Ren Sh Zhongshan Park?) A couple Courtyards in Shanghai are fairly good too. The CY near the main train station has some rooms on the 30th lounge floor and it's very nice to use the lounge for coffee during the day if staying in those same floor rooms. At CY Pudong tonight and the lounge is nice, could make a decent green salad and had some seafood pasta and mushrooms with chicken, etc. I ate a lot..

EDIT: The Citi prestige 4th night is still available twice a year, but in reduced advantages form. Wouldn't stay at CY Pudong again as other room noises and door slams are not good.
ftrichard likes this.

Last edited by kalo93406; Oct 9, 2019 at 8:50 pm
Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Bravada04
I don't compare any lounge in North America for the most part especially in US or CAN even close to the same feeling in Asia. The only time I spend in the lounge in the US or CAN is for breakfast for convenience.....very rarely spend any time in it during the evenings.The odd one in Mexico was o.k. but I am pretty sure those have changed much over the last couple of years.
The Nines (legacy Starwood LC) in Portland has a pretty good lounge with nice local wines.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by chipmaster
So does anyone have insight as to why lounge in America's is so limited than Far East. I'd venture the value of the property / sq-ft is a toss up, simply the labor or tradition and expectation ?

Got to believe if Hilton gave status match and made matched to what they do in the Far East, I'd probably move all my stays there.
Part of it is, many hotels in the Far East cater to the local stay-cationers who buy up to club level for their families, especially on the weekends, and it becomes a food-fest for them. So, both tradition and expectation I guess.
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:02 pm

Programs: MR LT Titanium, IHG Plat.,UA Premier Silver, & PA/OH Turnpike Million Miler
My experience is with domestic US lounges. If I am really tired I may eat dinner in the lounge. I try not to do so since the food offerings usually aren't particularly healthy. On the other hand, if I am that tired I would probably be just going out for a burger and beer and that isn't particularly healthy either.

As others have already noted in the thread, hotel restaurant food isn't particularly good either. It used to be better but has gone downhill in recent years. There are still some exceptions where the hotel restaurant food is good. I think it mainly corresponds to properties where the restaurant is outsourced as a concession. In house Marriott restaurant food just isn't up to snuff any more (unfortunately). Sheraton lounge and restaurant food seems to be a partial step down from Marriott.

All of that said, I do find lounge breakfast to generally be fine and appreciate the convenient access to coffee, soft drinks, and snacks throughout the day. So lounges are still a big plus, just not the best dinner offerings. YMMV....

--Jon
Old Oct 9, 2019, 8:26 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jon Maiman
My experience is with domestic US lounges. If I am really tired I may eat dinner in the lounge. I try not to do so since the food offerings usually aren't particularly healthy. On the other hand, if I am that tired I would probably be just going out for a burger and beer and that isn't particularly healthy either.

As others have already noted in the thread, hotel restaurant food isn't particularly good either. It used to be better but has gone downhill in recent years. There are still some exceptions where the hotel restaurant food is good. I think it mainly corresponds to properties where the restaurant is outsourced as a concession. In house Marriott restaurant food just isn't up to snuff any more (unfortunately). Sheraton lounge and restaurant food seems to be a partial step down from Marriott.

All of that said, I do find lounge breakfast to generally be fine and appreciate the convenient access to coffee, soft drinks, and snacks throughout the day. So lounges are still a big plus, just not the best dinner offerings. YMMV....

--Jon
100% agree. I try to avoid eating domestic lounge food and use food delivery apps to try to get better quality and healthier dinners.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 9:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Marriot Bonvoy Lifetime Platinum/2022 Titanium
Ahh, the Fremont Marriott! One of my favorite properties and one of the best lounges I have visited! I've had that view many times, Chipmaster. Enjoy!

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Ah my meal today at Marriott, going out now for a couple beers and tomorrow going out for dinner too! This ain’t no Far East Marriott Lounge

Old Oct 11, 2019, 10:09 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Originally Posted by moondog
It looks like LRM Shanghai to me also but post 18 says Pudong, so I was curious.
Those pics make me miss LRM Shanghai! As others have said, if I'm expensing dinner, then a snack to see what's in the lounge after work is nice before heading to dinner. If vacationing, there have been many days where we spend the entire day trekking about town, get in at nite and are just too darn tired to head out again. We always say, well let's grab a bite to soothe the hunger, and go out to dinner later. What happens is we eat a little more than that, and then collapse, not to be seen again that evening!
Originally Posted by slpybear
Ahh, the Fremont Marriott! One of my favorite properties and one of the best lounges I have visited! I've had that view many times, Chipmaster. Enjoy!
Hum, never stayed there, will try to do so next time traveling thru SJC!
Old Oct 11, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: BA Blue, Marriott Plat Life, UA Silver (thx Marriott), IHG Gold, Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond
Almost never in Europe or North America, I like trying local restaurants instead.

In Asia it depends. Have had some great meals in The Westin Kolkata, where they basically make what you want, but I also like to get out and try things locally too.

It does amaze me how many people seem to be happy to spend the whole evening in the lounge. I’d rather get out and find somewhere, particularly in cities like London. I do remember a thread on here with someone asking about the food in a hotel in Rome, which in my mind is a city where you easily find great food at a good price.

T
UA-NYC and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 4:19 pm

Programs: Air Canada SE /*A Gold, Emirates Skywards Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by moondog
The only times I even contemplate eating dinner in hotel lounges are when I'm too busy/tired to leave the hotel. When traveling on business, I can always expense meals at restaurants, and when traveling for pleasure, eating is usually part of the travel experience. While I have been to some lounges where the food was of comparable quality to standalone restaurants, the atmosphere is almost always distinctly "hotel lounge" (e.g. sad businessmen, chatty flight crews, cell phones buzzing); that's tolerable in the morning, but I prefer more enjoyable surroundings during the evening.
This for me too ^^
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:19 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AAdvantage, United MP, Marriott Rewards
I used the lounges in India a lot. I didn't really trust the food in the other restaurants. Of the few times I had eaten outside the hotel, a few times I had the famous "Delhi Belly". The hotels also were a luxurious retreat, away from the hectic life out on the street. I usually enjoy getting outside for drinks or dinner but I hardly ever did that in India, I was always so pleased that I survived another day in the heat and the crowds that I enjoyed sitting in the lounge with a cocktail and some good food. The food was almost always excellent, sometimes even small meals delivered to your table.
kalo93406 and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 5:34 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Seldom in Europe or the US however in Asia, as many have pointed out, definitely. When I was younger I would eat in the lounge and it left my expenses for the drinks in the evening. These days with a Wife we will go to the lounge and she will eat and eat then when we walk out ask where we are going for dinner as she had only eaten snacks.We would go to a restaurant and she would order a main and not finish it but you know you can't say anything.
kalo93406, DELee and ftrichard like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.