Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Do you eat dinner at the executive/club lounge?

Old Oct 8, 19, 12:28 am
Original Poster

Hi guys,

What is your opinion on the above and do you do it? It seems that many people think one should not eat dinner at the lounge when on vacation overseas.

Personally, I usually always eat my entire dinner at the lounge. (That is if the lounge is passable and a full service one).

I don't feel as if I am missing anything because my mindset is that I am on the trip to relax and enjoy myself, not to fuss about how many sights I've seen or achieving food nirvana (basic lounge food especially at some luxury hotels have sometimes been more satisfying than restaurant meals for me).

Am I missing anything? What do you do on your trips? I see here that most people always feel that one shouldn't eat in the lounge.. However it feels like the dinner spread is one of the main benefits of having high tier status which I don't understand.
Old Oct 8, 19, 12:48 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Ti
I've done it on both business and pleasure trips. Really depends on what they're serving that night, and only in Asia have I seen enough food offered to consider it.
RooseveltL, KRSW and TGLoyalty like this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The only times I even contemplate eating dinner in hotel lounges are when I'm too busy/tired to leave the hotel. When traveling on business, I can always expense meals at restaurants, and when traveling for pleasure, eating is usually part of the travel experience. While I have been to some lounges where the food was of comparable quality to standalone restaurants, the atmosphere is almost always distinctly "hotel lounge" (e.g. sad businessmen, chatty flight crews, cell phones buzzing); that's tolerable in the morning, but I prefer more enjoyable surroundings during the evening.
Redhead, beachfan, cre95 and 6 others like this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 2:42 am
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: SkyTeam Elite, HH Gold, Marriott Titanium
I stay mostly in Asia. I think it depends on a few factors. Which hotel I am at and how good their lounge is being the #1 . For example, I stay at the Courtyard Namdaemun in Seoul a lot. Their lounge food at night is hit and miss and in many cases it is a miss for me, so I eat out locally. If the lounge has a great spread though, why wouldn't I eat in the lounge? In China, I eat at the lounge more than I don't because most hotels have a great lounge at night with enough food it easily can feed you dinner.

A St. Regis "evening refreshment" in Asia really hasn't been anything I would solely just eat there and not have more to eat. They are truly finger foods to go with drinks.
Old Oct 8, 19, 5:26 am

My wife and myself have did it numerous times in Asia while on vacation...…..especially if we have been out all day and just want to relax and head back to the room. Of course granted it is a good lounge. I will have to admit sometimes I feel cheap doing so but we are sitting there and really do not have any energy to venture out again for the evening? Things might have changed but at the time we found a few decent lounges that were relaxing, good food and service with nice views......Le Meridien Saigon, Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur, Sheraton Nha Trang (great outside deck here - we enjoyed so much here that we actually ordered dinner and they delivered up to the deck for us with a bottle of wine - not something we would normally do/be allowed but it was quiet and we were spending money.....we really enjoyed our evening)
Old Oct 8, 19, 5:48 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Almost never. Lounge food is rarely very nice and almost never healthy. It's also usually buffet-style, which I dislike in general.
beachfan and GalaxyChris like this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 5:55 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
No. Lounge food is typically bad appetizer from the restaurant downstairs and not healthy enough for dinner. A snack prior to eating elsewhere is the best choice.
Old Oct 8, 19, 6:05 am

It varies by location and property to property: most Asian locations ( excluding Japan) offer the opportunity to make decent , tasty choices. This is virtually never the case in Europe, North America, Australia...frequently see really crappy junk food with not one solitary item I’d like to eat; consequently I don’t.
Old Oct 8, 19, 7:04 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Delta Sky Miles, and S&H Green Stamps
Is the free booze considered dinner?
moondog, ajamieson, bbbb and 8 others like this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 7:37 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
A number of Asian lounges have excellent spreads that could pass for dinner. The challenge is there also a lot of great options outside!
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 7:38 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Titanium/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold, AA Platinum
I do it occasionally. Usually it's when I get in after a day of travel and don't want a big dinner (meaning heavy appetizers are enough). I wouldn't eat a full dinner size portion of the lounge food.

I have also done it in Asia several times where it's really a full dinner spread, often with larger plates, just because I needed a night in.

For some perspective though, it's almost never a choice between a hotel restaurant and lounge for me. The choice is always the lounge or going out to a restaurant. I generally dislike hotel food, whether from room service (the worst) or the restaurant (average food at high prices). If I'm hungry for a full meal, I want something good and perhaps with windows or an outside dining area, which isn't the case in most of the Marriotts I frequent for work (the non-resort kind).
Old Oct 8, 19, 7:42 am

I’ve seen on multiple occasions (in Asia), lounge guests also orders room service meals to the lounge to supplement the lounge offerings and enjoy the free drinks and “side dishes”
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 8:36 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, Cathay Pacific Gold
Originally Posted by Bravada04 View Post
SNIP Things might have changed but at the time we found a few decent lounges that were relaxing, good food and service with nice views......Le Meridien Saigon, Le Meridien Kuala Lumpur, Sheraton Nha Trang (great outside deck here - we enjoyed so much here that we actually ordered dinner and they delivered up to the deck for us with a bottle of wine - not something we would normally do/be allowed but it was quiet and we were spending money.....we really enjoyed our evening)
Three fine hotels with fine lounges there that are well worth spending the evening in.

I should add that a few years ago at the Sheraton Full Moon in the Maldives when they had a lounge, we spent five days eating and drinking exclusively in this private club by its private pool with the handful of other couples spending not one cent more than the BRG room rate I got. I had intended having a few evening meals there but the difference between the lounge's buffet and hot dish with two hours of spirits and wine for free and Maldives prices for a meal got the better of me. It's probably behaviour like this from elites that led them to shut down the lounge.
Old Oct 8, 19, 8:41 am

No. If traveling for business I expense room service or restaurant meals. If traveling for pleasure, I go out and explore the city in which I'm located.

Hypothetical exception would be maybe some isolated resort somewhere that happened to have few local options, exorbitant food prices, but a lounge (if such a place existed); however I don't usually go to resort-type properties.

That being said, cocktails / drinks and desserts are always fair game!
moondog likes this.
Old Oct 8, 19, 9:34 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, AA-Gold
It depends if the food is hearty enough to be dinner. In Asia, I've seen pretty good spreads that can count as a meal. When I'm on business trips, usually in developing countries, I get a per diem, so I lean towards the lounge food because I get tired of overpaying for just fine food at the hotel's restaurant.

Search this Thread