Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Do you eat dinner at the executive/club lounge?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you eat dinner at the executive/club lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2019, 9:54 am

Location: 42.1% in PDX , 49.9% in PVG & 8% in the air somewhere
Programs: Marriott Ambassador Elite, UA 1K, AS MVP GLD 75K, DL Pt
In the Far East depending on the hotel the lounge was pretty full buffet,if on business would probably eat there if I didn't have a business get together. Part of life good times is socializing, for many of my friends where and how much you spend seems to be as important as the people, for me not so much its the people, I am a cheapskate and even on business on company dime enjoy the convenience of the lounge. There was always some minimum salad, crackers/cheese, fruit, and all you can drink, LOL. If you had to have protein and carbs there was always something, but believe some use/abuse their company benefit, my son works for the fruit company and he enjoys out even though he is always in 5 star..

In the US it's totally a sad state but at the Marriott I'll do one meal, but the choice and having to pay 6-10 for a glass of wine or beer is of little benefit but the convenience of not having to go out. Like above, in the US the lounge is generally so sorry always go out for socializing.

On vacation, its vacation, no way do anything but breakfast or snacks before going out for fun, lounge ain't no fun in the US, far east not to shabby.

Le Meridien Puxi right off Bund walking distance to Metro, miss it kind of, LOL

Last edited by chipmaster; Oct 8, 2019 at 11:09 am
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
hard "no"
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:15 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by chipmaster
Le Meridien Pudong, miss it kind of, LOL
Off topic, but is this a new property or reflag?
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:19 am

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
Usually depends on how tired I am...but I would still walk down the street and grab something at a cafe than the evening snacks at the lounge.

I might do a small snack to bite on with some free alcohol and then head out.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:30 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Basically it depends on how the lounge offer is and if i’m on business trip or leisure stay

if on business trip I always have lunch/dinner at restaurant (except if i’m not so hungry to have just some light bite and a beer at lounge)

if we are on leisure stay and the lounge offer is enaugh to have a decent lunch or dinner, we go at the restaurant only if outside the hotel or inside if there is really a special restaurant.

Then, it depends also on location. Of course in Asia there is plenty of lunch/dinner options at moderate costs, so we use the lounge sometimes only to have a beer / cocktail and light bite
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:31 am

Programs: MARRIOTT TITANIUM / HILTON GOLD / UA SILVER / AMEX PLAT
Occasionally, Ritz Carlton's have a fairly decent spread for a decent meal after a long drive or a flight. Sometimes I am just too tired to go out and grab a bite to eat. However, I am a pretty big foodie and like to try different cuisines, therefore if the destination has a restaurant or food I want to try I will go out.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 11:23 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
It depends, but generally no. I don't get a per diem for meals, just actual spent, so I don't save any money and the lounge food isn't generally good enough. When I travel on vacation, food is generally a key component, I sometimes even skip breakfast at the lounge.
However, if I am exhausted or not that hungry, sometimes it works out well.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:21 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by chipmaster
In the Far East depending on the hotel the lounge was pretty full buffet,if on business would probably eat there if I didn't have a business get together. Part of life good times is socializing, for many of my friends where and how much you spend seems to be as important as the people, for me not so much its the people, I am a cheapskate and even on business on company dime enjoy the convenience of the lounge. There was always some minimum salad, crackers/cheese, fruit, and all you can drink, LOL. If you had to have protein and carbs there was always something, but believe some use/abuse their company benefit, my son works for the fruit company and he enjoys out even though he is always in 5 star..

In the US it's totally a sad state but at the Marriott I'll do one meal, but the choice and having to pay 6-10 for a glass of wine or beer is of little benefit but the convenience of not having to go out. Like above, in the US the lounge is generally so sorry always go out for socializing.

On vacation, its vacation, no way do anything but breakfast or snacks before going out for fun, lounge ain't no fun in the US, far east not to shabby.

Le Meridien Puxi right off Bund walking distance to Metro, miss it kind of, LOL

Could this be LRM Shanghai?
paolo64 likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:45 pm

Programs: Marriott, Hilton
as other have said, depends on property. i look forward to eating dinner in the lounge at RC HK and RC Macau.

Last edited by hawaiiansports; Oct 8, 2019 at 4:39 pm
Old Oct 8, 2019, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
When I am traveling for business, a lot of my meals are with clients in fancy restaurants - whether lunch or dinner. So on the nights where I've already been out for a big lunch, a plate of veggies, salad, and a glass of wine are all I need. And depending on the location (say the LAX Marriott or Ren, for example) there really isn't much else around there beside more hotel food. On those nights, convenience definitely wins out.

Now when Mr jtwiz is traveling with me, it's a whole different story. We definitely go to the lounge for free drinks (if in Europe) and a light snack. We are usually dining out, typically later, so the lounge is convenient for a quick bite but we don't make a meal of it.
Eastbay1K likes this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In over five million miles of travel, mostly for business, I've only used room service for dinner several times. However, I will use a good lounge for a light dinner if I'm exhausted, jet lagged, etc. or if I would otherwise be forced to go out of the hotel in bad weather, an isolated area, or where there are safety concerns, including food safety issues. I've taken myself to one/two/three star restaurants many many times and if I eat out, I want to pick someplace good. To make it special, I like to return to the hotel and dress for dinner if possible.
360guy, jtwiz and JBord like this.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by JBord
I do it occasionally. Usually it's when I get in after a day of travel and don't want a big dinner (meaning heavy appetizers are enough). I wouldn't eat a full dinner size portion of the lounge food.

I have also done it in Asia several times where it's really a full dinner spread, often with larger plates, just because I needed a night in.

For some perspective though, it's almost never a choice between a hotel restaurant and lounge for me. The choice is always the lounge or going out to a restaurant. I generally dislike hotel food, whether from room service (the worst) or the restaurant (average food at high prices). If I'm hungry for a full meal, I want something good and perhaps with windows or an outside dining area, which isn't the case in most of the Marriotts I frequent for work (the non-resort kind).
Agreed 100%...It is either relax at the lounge or go OUT - not the restaurant in the hotel. If we stay in the hotel restaurant it never feels like we are on vacation and experiencing the culture. But agree with your comments 100%.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by myperks
I’ve seen on multiple occasions (in Asia), lounge guests also orders room service meals to the lounge to supplement the lounge offerings and enjoy the free drinks and “side dishes”

Yikes.... that is just cheap! I mentioned above we sat outside at the Lounge and it was DEAD. We had the place to ourselves so we ordered form the restaurant including a bottle of wine etc., because it was so peaceful and we literally had the place to ourselves.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:21 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Titanium, BAEC Silver, TK Miles & Smiles Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yes. Excellent lounge - offering, view, ambiance.
Old Oct 8, 2019, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL 2 MM Unobtainum | UA 1.1MM Gold | MR Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Yep! I’ve stayed there and their lounge was top notch compared to the Westin Bund and JW Tomorrow Square.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.