Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Service Charges" added after Rates shown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Service Charges" added after Rates shown

Search this Thread

Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:09 am

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, IHG Platinum, WoH Explorist
Just to clarify some misconceptions on how Hyatt handles service charges.

On award stays for all WoH members, all resort/destination/facility fees are waived. The ToC mentions that service charges are not waived. Contrary to what the ToC says here and other peoples experiences, service charges are waived on award stays.

See quote below

12. Waiver of Resort, Destination, or Facility Fee on Free Night Awards. Resort, destination, or facility fees, where charged by the applicable hotel or resort, will be waived for Members redeeming a Free Night Award. This benefit is not valid at any Hyatt Residence Club resort. This benefit applies only to nights for which the Member has redeemed a Free Night Award. This benefit does not apply to any Room Upgrade Award, Points + Cash Award, or any non-stay award (e.g., a Dining, Spa and More Award or a Future Meeting Credit (defined in Appendix D)). In some instances, a hotel or resort may charge other fees (such as a “service fee”) that are independent of any resort, destination, or facility fee charged by that hotel or resort. Any such fees will not be waived for Members pursuant to this benefit.
For globalist members on cash and award stays, all resort/destination/facility fees are waived. In most cases, the service charge is still charged on cash stays, but they are still waived on award stays contrary to what the ToC says. Looking at what the ToC says on services charges, it sounds like its a case by case situation on if its charged on cash stays.

See quote below

(h) Waived Resort, Destination, or Facility Fees: Resort, destination, or facility fees, where charged by the applicable hotel or resort, will be waived for Globalists when paying an Eligible Rate. (As described in Appendix B, resort, destination, or facility fees are waived for all Members when staying on a Free Night Award.) This benefit is not valid at any Hyatt Residence Club resort. In some instances, a hotel or resort may charge other fees (such as a “service fee”) that are independent of any resort, destination, or facility fee charged by that hotel or resort. Any such fees will not be waived for Globalists pursuant to this benefit.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
The service charges on cash rates are not included in that, and Globalist will be charged service charges on cash rates.

Of course Marriott Titanium members will also pay resort fees on both cash and award stays, so yes there is a disadvantage there.

But both for Marriott and Hyatt the service charges are not applicable on award stays.
And, quite strongly in Marriott's defense, the 75% points bonus for Titanium (vs 30% at Hyatt) goes a long way towards offsetting that if you're not paying cash at a lot of resort fee-bearing hotels, though if those fees (and destination fees as well) continue leaking out more and more that advantage may evaporate.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
I think there is a case that the grass is greener over at Hyatt in terms of service charges/resort fees for high-end elites.
Originally Posted by myperks
This has to one of the most ridiculous claims from the Hyatt crowd on service charges. (Non resort fees related)
No problem. Happy to have all you dual loyalists go over to Hyatt and free up more upgrades for us Marriott types.

Originally Posted by myperks
That said, if the service charge (non governmental tax related) was added AFTER a reservation which is what the OP claims, then it would be ridiculous for the hotel not to waive it for that particular reservation.
"Service charge"s in Thailand are pooled and shared monthly by all non-management staff.
Newman likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 12:27 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
No problem. Happy to have all you dual loyalists go over to Hyatt and free up more upgrades for us Marriott types.
Snark aside, I'm just as happy to let you have all of my upgrades. Almost every time I have been "upgraded" it has involved either a room at the ...-end of beyond (in the Atlanta Sheraton) or getting a larger bed (which for me is a very pointed negative; if I never saw another king bed as long as I live I would be quite happy, TYVM).
Dr. HFH likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: AF Platinum/AY LUMO/SK EBG/baEC S/HYATT Globalist/MR LTP/A3 *G/HH Dia/IHG plat
Originally Posted by Newman
Agreed.
The more elites that leave, the more upgrade opportunities for the rest of us.
Though I'll bet he'll be back at Bonvoy within 6 months. The grass isn't any greener at Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, etc.

Newman

It certainly is greener for some 😂😂

After the merger I have explored alot of hotels, only having two cash stays w bonvoy.

The good thing is there is something for everyone. Those happy at bonvoy should stay and those who think marriott sucks and ruined the SPG program should propably leave 😂😮

I doubt marriott will change for the better anytime soon 😂 just my 2 cents.

For what its worth I have had a suite at Hilton properties now 80% of the Time while less then 15% at marriott... Also breakfast and welcome points at Hiltons vs one or the other at Marriots just to name a few greener aspects...
Old Oct 7, 2019, 3:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC the 10% "service charge" in Japan is mandated by the government, although I'm not sure whether it applies to literally all hotels or just hotels of a certain class or where the room rate is sufficiently high. [In Japan, some of the hotel taxes depend on the nightly room rate that the guest is paying IIRC.] In some other Asian countries, it's more of a convention and might not be charged at all hotels.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IIRC the 10% "service charge" in Japan is mandated by the government, although I'm not sure whether it applies to literally all hotels or just hotels of a certain class or where the room rate is sufficiently high. [In Japan, some of the hotel taxes depend on the nightly room rate that the guest is paying IIRC.] In some other Asian countries, it's more of a convention and might not be charged at all hotels.
I think you may be mixing that up with the tax charged on onsen (hot spring) hotels and ryokans. There is tax specifically on those. I have never heard that the service charge is mandated, but will try to check with local sources.
Old Oct 13, 2019, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Snark aside, I'm just as happy to let you have all of my upgrades.
Why, thank you! Your generosity is accepted and greatly appreciated!
Old Oct 14, 2019, 8:46 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm over 100 nights this year in the US, Europe, and South America. I've yet to see a service charge., Which properties are you talking about?

If its a "resort charge," there are lots of threads here about that.
Property's resort fee, destination fee, service charge or whatever name they want to call it for whatever the property wants to say the fee includes/covers, it's the same thing in ways when not disclosed and included in the price being initially advertised by the property when the fee is hotel revenue for the hotel's tax filing purposes.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Depending on jurisdiction, some countries mandate service charges are to be distributed to staff and are not taxed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.