Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

"Service Charges" added after Rates shown

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

"Service Charges" added after Rates shown

Search this Thread

Old Oct 5, 2019, 8:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Exec Plat MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz President, Hilton Diamond
Angry "Service Charges" added after Rates shown

Hi, I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I did a search and couldn't find anything but credit cards listings for "service charges" in the forums, that has noticed these Service Charges after the room rate on lots of properties. I can't get a straight answer from Marriott Ambassador line on them, and in many cases they are a straight percentage of the room rate, not a flat "fee", to me this smacks of just hidden room inflation to improve revenue on rooms while attempting to pull one over on us.

I get vague "for services provided", fine, what if I want to opt out of those services? "All hotels around the world are doing this". The key point is Marriott is ALLOWING them to do it, and with corp or managed properties, actually implementing it themselves.

I'm seriously wondering after over 1700 nights with Marriott what the value to continue anymore is with them.

Honestly I don't care so much about the charge amount, it's the way it's being done. Just put it in the damn rate like you're trying to work around doing, and let me see the real cost up front.

Has anyone had any success fighting these service charges?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 9:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by RobertClouse
Hi, I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I did a search and couldn't find anything but credit cards listings for "service charges" in the forums, that has noticed these Service Charges after the room rate on lots of properties. I can't get a straight answer from Marriott Ambassador line on them, and in many cases they are a straight percentage of the room rate, not a flat "fee", to me this smacks of just hidden room inflation to improve revenue on rooms while attempting to pull one over on us.

I get vague "for services provided", fine, what if I want to opt out of those services? "All hotels around the world are doing this". The key point is Marriott is ALLOWING them to do it, and with corp or managed properties, actually implementing it themselves.

I'm seriously wondering after over 1700 nights with Marriott what the value to continue anymore is with them.

Honestly I don't care so much about the charge amount, it's the way it's being done. Just put it in the damn rate like you're trying to work around doing, and let me see the real cost up front.

Has anyone had any success fighting these service charges?
What properties and cities are these service charges occurring?

Some cities/countries may have a service fee mandated by governments. It’s important to discover if these are the fees, or some sort of revenue enhancement from the properties.

I often pay 10-11% in Asia hotel svc charge, but it’s universal across all properties.
writerguyfl and MSPeconomist like this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Switch to a different hotel chain...vote with your wallet
EuropeanPete, rickg523 and Lizie like this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 10:39 am

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by UA-NYC
Switch to a different hotel chain...vote with your wallet
Agreed.
The more elites that leave, the more upgrade opportunities for the rest of us.
Though I'll bet he'll be back at Bonvoy within 6 months. The grass isn't any greener at Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, etc.

Newman
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
The grass is factually greener when one doesn't have to pay resort fees, or parking when on vacation, or have to nickle and dime breakfast, or have to sweat out an upgrade at check-in

Helps to not have tunnel vision :-:
Old Oct 5, 2019, 12:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Where is this occurring and are we talking about taxes or fees? The former are imposed by government authorities and the latter by the property. Without more detail, it's pretty hard to make suggestions.

Last edited by Often1; Oct 6, 2019 at 6:18 am
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
I'm over 100 nights this year in the US, Europe, and South America. I've yet to see a service charge., Which properties are you talking about?

If its a "resort charge," there are lots of threads here about that.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 3:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The only place I routinely see service charges is Asia.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 3:55 am

Programs: SPG(LTG), QANTAS gold, Korean, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by C17PSGR
I'm over 100 nights this year in the US, Europe, and South America. I've yet to see a service charge., Which properties are you talking about?

If its a "resort charge," there are lots of threads here about that.
These are charged at all the old SPG hotels in Thailand. Saves on tipping.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 5:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by geminidreams
And Singapore, Vietnam, Taiwan, Indonesia. Those are just the folios I have access to right now. They all charge 10% service charge. And it’s not restricted to SPG hotels.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by geminidreams
Actually, charged at all major hotels in Bangkok, possibly Thailand. I have yet to stay in a hotel in Bangkok that doesn't have a 10% service charge, which, as geminidreams pointed out, is generally intended as in lieu of tipping.

Interestingly, the added charges are 7% government tax and 10% service charge. The tax is added first, so you're also paying the 10% service charge on the tax. The final price you pay is the quoted rate plus 17.7%.
EuropeanPete and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 6:51 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some top hotels in Europe and elsewhere impose a standard 10-15% service charge on everything.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:23 am

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Actually, charged at all major hotels in Bangkok, possibly Thailand. I have yet to stay in a hotel in Bangkok that doesn't have a 10% service charge, which, as geminidreams pointed out, is generally intended as in lieu of tipping.

Interestingly, the added charges are 7% government tax and 10% service charge. The tax is added first, so you're also paying the 10% service charge on the tax. The final price you pay is the quoted rate plus 17.7%.
you get the same result whether it is “$1 x 10% x 7%” vs. “$1 x 7% x 10%”. It makes more sense to be paying tax on the service charge. I’ve had folios where the service charge is shown first, and then the tax.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 9:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Basically every chain hotel I've ever stayed at in Australia adds a 1.5% surcharge for credit card payments. Advertised when booking, but not included in the rate.
Old Oct 6, 2019, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Fly Me To The Moon
you get the same result whether it is “$1 x 10% x 7%” vs. “$1 x 7% x 10%”. It makes more sense to be paying tax on the service charge. I’ve had folios where the service charge is shown first, and then the tax.
But what it should be is $1 X (10% + 7%). It just seems offensive to pay tax on a tax.
Dr. HFH likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.