Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Through Oct 18 2019, buy up to 100,000 Marriott points for $8.75 per 1,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Through Oct 18 2019, buy up to 100,000 Marriott points for $8.75 per 1,000

Search this Thread

Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:28 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
I think you have to buy twice.

but check the fine print, if you received any points transfer or purchased previously in 2019, those count towards the 100K limit.

The point transfer bit (say as a gift from a friend) boggles my mind, because a member should be able to receive 500K gift transfer a year combined from other members.
Yeah this make's no sense. I've received 100K points from my spouses account this year so does that mean I can not buy any points with this promo? Has anyone who has transferred 100K tried to buy?

Or should I just buy points from another family members account and transfer from there?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:38 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Yeah this make's no sense. I've received 100K points from my spouses account this year so does that mean I can not buy any points with this promo? Has anyone who has transferred 100K tried to buy?

Or should I just buy points from another family members account and transfer from there?
So I have purchased 50K no problem previously— to top up an award. Can’t purchase again apparently. In between my husband did transfer me 100K points
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by theOtherHolmes
Can’t purchase again apparently.
How did you find this out?
Old Oct 1, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
50,000 points costs 437.50 US Dollars on this special offer.
Is that really a good deal ?

50,000 points gets you 1 night in a category 6 hotel at standard redemption rates.
I'm pretty sure I can find many category 6 hotels at less than 437.50 USD per night.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by est-gratuite

50,000 points gets you 1 night in a category 6 hotel at standard redemption rates.
I'm pretty sure I can find many category 6 hotels at less than 437.50 USD per night.
You can also find many category 5 hotels more than $437.5 per night. If you can reach the 5th night free threshold it can approach half the prevailing rate. Many properties in Europe for next summer can be booked at a significant discount using this promotion.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA Silver, MR titanium

Im lookin into vegas in January, cheapest room near the strip is $569 almost $600 with tax or 30K points for Ri
Old Oct 1, 2019, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite

Sure, but you could also use those points at lower category properties and get more nights out of them. In some cases a LOT more with fifth night free during off-peak times.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
Sure, but you could also use those points at lower category properties and get more nights out of them. In some cases a LOT more with fifth night free during off-peak times.
Yup I’m redeeming 50K at a Courtyard in Asia what would have been $600 USD if paying cash.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 4:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by escapefromphl

Even though you are limited to 100K pt transfer from any one person, you can receive up to 500K pts/yr in your account. So I don’t think you would be barred from buying. Why don’t you try it and report back?
Old Oct 5, 2019, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by margarita girl
Even though you are limited to 100K pt transfer from any one person, you can receive up to 500K pts/yr in your account. So I don’t think you would be barred from buying. Why don’t you try it and report back?
^ My points posted within 24 hours. There is no restriction for people who have received 100k points gifts.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 8:08 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, AA Plat MM
I've seen several comments about how using this offer to buy 50K points for $437.50, then redeeming them for a single night at a 50K/night hotel is not a very good deal. Here is a different perspective - multiple nights at a lower rate hotel. I attend an event in Florida every year and save my Marriott points for basic Category 3 hotels in the area that price out at $300+ a night that time of year. 70K points gets you 5 nights, which is a relative bargain. The math makes a lot more sense from that perspective if you need extra points.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Oct 5, 2019, 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
I've seen several comments about how using this offer to buy 50K points for $437.50, then redeeming them for a single night at a 50K/night hotel is not a very good deal. Here is a different perspective - multiple nights at a lower rate hotel. I attend an event in Florida every year and save my Marriott points for basic Category 3 hotels in the area that price out at $300+ a night that time of year. 70K points gets you 5 nights, which is a relative bargain. The math makes a lot more sense from that perspective if you need extra points.

Same, Courtyard Shenzhen Bay is about $200 USD per night after tax, and it’s a cat 2. Best use of points ever especially when there’s a conference in town (and it’s not for work).
Old Oct 9, 2019, 7:31 pm

Yoiu need a critcal mass for C&F airline partner awards

Originally Posted by mirror74
I agree. But I am not an idiot. Will use those points for AA transfer. Basically buying points for 1.68 cent per point. Not half bad for C or F partner award seats.
Does this math presuppose a 60';000 purchase for 25,000 miles? i.e. 40,000 would only get 20,000 miles. If the math is correct it a offer with nominal downside and just tying up your capital with Marriott.
This is the problem I see, 100K points is not a needle mover. What about two relatives each buying 100K and then consolidating the 300k? FLAG? ALLOWED?h

regarding the comment that wait for an AA promotion, that is penny foolish and dollar foolish.
1-name of the game buying on Spec is Flexibility and protection from "arbitrary enhancements".
2- Assuming miles can go into airline of choice in future , not a horrible deal.
3=sometimes airlines have bonuses on incoming hotel points.!!
4 And you have the option of storing in Marrriott and a situation may appear where using the purchase points yields a good or great vale.-- Hay anything is possible.

My problem is that this is 100K cap if all goes according to hoyle.
so the old Starwood 33K ( Yawn) --- you need at least 300K Marriott points via this promotion to have full options,
It's hardly a steal or an insider price, but I don't see a lot of downside worse case scenario.
Boraxo and mirror74 like this.
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
Not sure this is a good idea with most bloggers valuing MR points at .007 cent per point prior to major deval in March (and now peak pricing). But maybe useful to top off a 5th night free award.

Originally Posted by writetorich
This is the problem I see, 100K points is not a needle mover.

My problem is that this is 100K cap if all goes according to hoyle.
so the old Starwood 33K ( Yawn) --- you need at least 300K Marriott points via this promotion to have full options,
It's hardly a steal or an insider price, but I don't see a lot of downside worse case scenario.
Concur that 100k is not likely to move the needle for top properties that may now require 100k+ per night for peak periods.

Originally Posted by yyzflyer
Unfortunately I never require rooms at properties below Category 5, which generally requires 35k per night. So 100k doesn't even get me 3 nights. These nights typically go for $150-200 per night - so it would not make sense to pay $875 for 3 nights (and no earn)

I would never buy points to transfer to AA as you cannot predict when AA will have a sale. Most bloggers now value AA points at <.015 cents per mile so not worth paying more unless you won the lottery on a TATL or TPAC business class saver award.

Last edited by Boraxo; Oct 10, 2019 at 2:56 pm
Old Oct 10, 2019, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by writetorich
This is the problem I see, 100K points is not a needle mover. What about two relatives each buying 100K and then consolidating the 300k? FLAG? ALLOWED?h
Should be allowed. FWIW, you should be able to have 4 relatives buy and transfer as well as yourself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.