Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Through Oct 18 2019, buy up to 100,000 Marriott points for $8.75 per 1,000

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2019, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Ambassador , Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat

Seems Marriott is offering 100k points at 30% discount.

https://puu.sh/EhLCP/fcafac421d.png

I can only see 50K, can anyone see 100k or we have to buy 50k twice ?
Old Sep 16, 2019, 6:30 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
I think you have to buy twice.

but check the fine print, if you received any points transfer or purchased previously in 2019, those count towards the 100K limit.

The point transfer bit (say as a gift from a friend) boggles my mind, because a member should be able to receive 500K gift transfer a year combined from other members.
GalaxyChris likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 1:03 pm

Programs: AY Gold, A3 Gold, UA Gold, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I bought two packs of 48k and 50k with two transactions. Got confirmation e-mails. CC charge appeared on my CC account soon. But NO points... waiting already 5 days for the first transaction and 2 days for the second... E-mails says that all should be completed within 48 hours... obviously not... not happy camper at all!! What should I do? Called Bonvoy (told that I should wait a bit as they have high volume of purchases), wrote them e-mail (no response). Thinking of going to the bank and demanding chargeback.
RoyalFlush likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Two things:

1. It's too early to have any reason to disbelieve what you've been told - nearly any event even the slightest bit out of the ordinary usually results in cascading IT failures within Marriott. Heavy transaction volume following a promotion such as this certainly would qualify as such.

2. What were you thinking in the first place?? Are you unaware that Marriott just moved to a dynamic pricing model, and that at some properties during "peak" season you'll wipe those 100k points out in a single night? Unless it's to top off to a given point level to allow one to proceed with a redemption otherwise already close to, there can be no sane rationale of which I can think for purchasing this junk currency in bulk. At almost any price - and certainly not at that absurd amount.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer
Two things:

1. It's too early to have any reason to disbelieve what you've been told - nearly any event even the slightest bit out of the ordinary usually results in cascading IT failures within Marriott. Heavy transaction volume following a promotion such as this certainly would qualify as such.

2. What were you thinking in the first place?? Are you unaware that Marriott just moved to a dynamic pricing model, and that at some properties during "peak" season you'll wipe those 100k points out in a single night? Unless it's to top off to a given point level to allow one to proceed with a redemption otherwise already close to, there can be no sane rationale of which I can think for purchasing this junk currency in bulk. At almost any price - and certainly not at that absurd amount.
I agree. But I am not an idiot. Will use those points for AA transfer. Basically buying points for 1.68 cent per point. Not half bad for C or F partner award seats.
yuel likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:31 pm

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
Originally Posted by mirror74
I agree. But I am not an idiot. Will use those points for AA transfer. Basically buying points for 1.68 cent per point. Not half bad for C or F partner award seats.
Ah, well then I would just wait a bit longer before becoming too concerned (unless you need those points/miles ASAP). A light steady breeze is enough to drive Marriott IT off course, so this would be pretty typical. These are, after all, the same folks that closed LT Titanium status back on Dec 31, 2018 but only just recently began sending out packages to those who qualified - and had to chime in here to warn everyone it would take the full rest of the year to complete the process now finally begun. So yeah, they set goals for themselves on the order of months and years, not days and weeks.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 2:41 pm

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, Bonvoy Plat
I made a 50000 bonvoy points purchase earlier this year. It took just over two weeks for these points to post to my Marriott account. Hope this helps for time frame.
CCIE_Flyer and mirror74 like this.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 6:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Tit, Hyatt Diamond, AA EXP, UA Silver, IHG Plat
Just so you know, AA processes points purchases themselves (instead of via points.com). When AA runs a sale you can get some great value added using the right card.

Not saying you made made the wrong choice, you know your timing best, but just something to be aware of
CCIE_Flyer and mirror74 like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 7:26 am

Originally Posted by beastmaster
I made a 50000 bonvoy points purchase earlier this year. It took just over two weeks for these points to post to my Marriott account. Hope this helps for time frame.
Jesus... if they would have to pay fine of 5000 points per day of delay, then this IT issue would be resolved very quickly )
margarita girl likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 7:27 am

I bought two packs of 48k and 50k with two transactions. Got confirmation e-mails. CC charge appeared on my CC account soon. But NO points... waiting already 5 days for the first transaction and 2 days for the second... E-mails says that all should be completed within 48 hours... obviously not... not happy camper at all!! What should I do? Called Bonvoy (told that I should wait a bit as they have high volume of purchases), wrote them e-mail (no response). Thinking of going to the bank and demanding chargeback.
UPDATE: second transaction (50k points) posted within 48 hours, first one (48k points) still not even after 8 days. Strange is becoming even stranger.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 1:02 pm

Programs: UA Au Marriott Ti Hilton C
This “sale” on points really says it all about the devaluation of MR in the past year. It’s a bad deal at 0.875 cpp.

Even Marriott acknowledges the reality of the situation with this offer.
Old Sep 28, 2019, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by 1120
This “sale” on points really says it all about the devaluation of MR in the past year. It’s a bad deal at 0.875 cpp.

Even Marriott acknowledges the reality of the situation with this offer.
Not always. There’s cases where a Marriott property at $43.75 USD (5k points) or $87.50 (10k points) makes perfect sense. I topped off an account to spend a few nights in Bengaluru at a property that looks pretty good at $44 a night (Fairfield Rajajinagar). It also might make sense when doing airline transfers.
mirror74 likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2019, 1:32 pm

Programs: Bonvoy ambassador - lifetime plat / Hilton diamond / hyatt globalist / AA CK baby!
Originally Posted by CCIE_Flyer

Ha. Or you could like - do the math. The next expensive stay I'll have is for Christmas, in a room that would cost $10k if not for points. The property is giving me a value of a little over $0.02 a point. And yes, that's at the new dynamic pricing price. Some luxury properties actually went DOWN you know...

Or

I just booked a flight on my preferred carrier in a few weeks for a business class trip to Europe. With the current exchange rate I'm getting almost $0.04.

This price is dirt cheap. I'd buy a million points at that price if they let me.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA Aluminum 0.6MM, Bonvoy Life Sentence, Hyatt Eliteist, AA Super Plutonium
Or in my case, via Bonvoy Moments, a 50k points purchase converted into two tickets for a premium New York Rangers game in December, with food and drinks, in a Luxury Suite at Madison Square Garden. There is no way I could have bought a pair of those tickets at all, let alone for $430.00

There is no universal answer to somone’s Utility on a points purchase.
eponymous_coward and svo242 like this.
Old Oct 1, 2019, 1:18 pm

Question for the people who bought points. In the fine print it states: "Purchasing points using a Marriott Bonvoy™ co-brand credit card will result in earning one point per dollar spent on these transactions."

Has anyone actually try to purchase point with the Bonvoy Card? Previously when you bought SPG points using the SPG card, it gave you an additional point so 2 SPG point per dollar which converts to 6 Marriott points. Does the wording sound to you that you lose 1 point for purchasing points with your card or you get an additional point for 3 point per dollar(Would be great if it matched the SPG and get the full 6 points per dollar)?

I tried asking Marriott Bonvoy twitter and they responded back as losing 1 point and getting 1 point per dollar. Why the F*** would you ever buy points with their card if you lose a point for buying with their card? I did a test with buying with my card but I don't know if it'll work since I just upgraded the Marriott Boundless to the Ritz Carlton card right before I bought it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.