Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Bonvoy Off-Peak and Peak Redemption Rates, LIVE from 14 Sep 2019

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 26, 2019, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Oxon Flyer
Marriott page on C&P:

https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/red...cash-points.mi

To view the calendar of Peak / Off-Peak points rates, on the booking webpage check the "Use Points / Certificates" box, open the calendar and select 'Flexible Dates'.
Print Wikipost

Bonvoy Off-Peak and Peak Redemption Rates, LIVE from 14 Sep 2019

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2019, 6:17 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

I continue to be surprised to find deals (likely: mistakes) in the high/reg/low classification. I booked a bunch of low awards during fall color season in Japan (which should be absolute peak), Saturday nights at Westin Tokyo were low in late November (surrounded by high dates -- a clear mistake, given that hotel rates in Japan are highest on Saturdays), and just now found a bunch of low rates in Europe for Christmas market weekends and NYE (with cash rates through the roof). I have no doubt that for many people, these changes are overall negative (and they may prove to be for me in the long run), but for now, there are some gems to be found, as long as one is flexible and willing to spend some time looking around.
SanDiego1K and Twickenham like this.
Old Dec 12, 2019, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by jpdx
I continue to be surprised to find deals (likely: mistakes) in the high/reg/low classification. I booked a bunch of low awards during fall color season in Japan (which should be absolute peak), Saturday nights at Westin Tokyo were low in late November (surrounded by high dates -- a clear mistake, given that hotel rates in Japan are highest on Saturdays), and just now found a bunch of low rates in Europe for Christmas market weekends and NYE (with cash rates through the roof). I have no doubt that for many people, these changes are overall negative (and they may prove to be for me in the long run), but for now, there are some gems to be found, as long as one is flexible and willing to spend some time looking around.
clearly the algorithm isnt performing as expected. Expect tweaks during the monthly reprices. while saving a few k points is is nice when something messes up peak/off peak like this. It doesnt really chance my decision making as with sky high cash rates the points rate is likely a good deal no matter what peak vs std vs off peak it ends up being.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:19 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Would Marriott allow me to use 35K cert on peak nights and pay differential with points? It is very hard to get reasonable value in shoulder season as well... lot of cat 5 properties are not showing standard awards on consecutive nights. Only peak awards.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 1:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
Would Marriott allow me to use 35K cert on peak nights and pay differential with points?
unfortunately they won't....

i just wish marriott would remove the 35k points requirement for these certs....a cert good for cat 5 properties would make things so much easier....then it can be used at any time & it wouldn't matter if it was peak or off peak....
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:03 am

Programs: status free since 2017
Originally Posted by Keyser
unfortunately they won't....

i just wish marriott would remove the 35k points requirement for these certs....a cert good for cat 5 properties would make things so much easier....then it can be used at any time & it wouldn't matter if it was peak or off peak....
I think that's the whole point... trying to give less value on these certificates etc. Points are a carried as liability. Better for them if value of points is less.

Anyways, this just devalues the card for me further more. Not sure what was AMEX thinking with increased AF on business card whereas every year value on these cards decreases a little bit.
cfabar1 likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2020, 2:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by carsnoceans
this just devalues the card for me further more.
this, combined with the fact that marriott has increased reward categories for almost every property in nyc devalues the card for me completely....i have 3 marriott branded credit cards....i'm definitely closing 2 of them before my next yearly fee is due & will wait & watch what marriott does next year with category changes before deciding what to do with the 3rd one....
jtp1947 and cfabar1 like this.
Old Feb 25, 2020, 10:01 pm
kkl

has anyone managed to get a point adjustment when their bookings have dropped to offpeak? instead of cancelling and rebooking
Old Feb 26, 2020, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by kkl
has anyone managed to get a point adjustment when their bookings have dropped to offpeak? instead of cancelling and rebooking
Many times. Click on View/Modify your reservation, then Edit. Pick the exact same room type. System will quote you new price and refund the difference.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 7:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by margarita girl
Many times. Click on View/Modify your reservation, then Edit. Pick the exact same room type. System will quote you new price and refund the difference.
Yes. This functionality works shockingly well.
Old Feb 26, 2020, 8:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, TK E+, AA PP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Kacee
Yes. This functionality works shockingly well.
Too well... until the award prices move back to standard / peak and the hotel tweaks your reservation for an upgrade or something. Then Marriott will automatically take some more points from you...

I'd rather have my reservation price set in stone, and have to cancel and rebook. (meaning that Marriott IT would also have to cancel and rebook)
Old May 17, 2021, 10:26 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

You guys see any pattern how Marriott sets peak rates now? Some of the rates just do not make sense.

I'm looking at a property in VT for October stay. That is not any "peak" season. Most of the other Marriott hotels have off-peak rates. But most of the rates at this hotel are still peak rates. Only some odd days have off-peak rate, no pattern to say. Offpeak rates on Monday and Wednesday, but peak on Tuesday and Thursday.

Does Marriott set peak/offpeak rates entirely on supply and demand?
Old May 17, 2021, 10:55 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United Silver; AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Hilton Gold
Can't speak for all of Vermont, but I took my wife on a fall trip to Vermont a few years ago and stayed at The Equinox hotel (no longer part of Marriott's portfolio). I can say that October rates were sky-high. It seems people flock to The Equinox during the Fall season (and very possibly Vermont in general). Luckily we used points, but I did make the reservations very early (almost a year out.)
RedSun likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 11:05 am
Suspended
Hyatt 10+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by hhoope01
Can't speak for all of Vermont, but I took my wife on a fall trip to Vermont a few years ago and stayed at The Equinox hotel (no longer part of Marriott's portfolio). I can say that October rates were sky-high. It seems people flock to The Equinox during the Fall season (and very possibly Vermont in general). Luckily we used points, but I did make the reservations very early (almost a year out.)
The Adirondack region typically has peak season over summer and winter skiing. So fall season can be the 3rd "peak" season. I look at another property and all its rates over weekends are peak and weekdays offpeak. That makes more sense in general. But the first hotel has no pattern to say.
Old May 17, 2021, 8:10 pm

Programs: Alaska
Originally Posted by RedSun
The Adirondack region typically has peak season over summer and winter skiing. So fall season can be the 3rd "peak" season. I look at another property and all its rates over weekends are peak and weekdays offpeak. That makes more sense in general. But the first hotel has no pattern to say.
I would not doubt that Marriott adds some randomness into the dynamic pricing policy to throw people off the scents so that no one should try to take advantage of the policy.
Old Sep 20, 2021, 8:24 am

so... how often are peak and off-peak dates updated for hotels ? random ? every day, week or month ? any patterns ?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.