Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 3, 2019, 10:48 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: margarita girl
FAQ from Jan 19/22 email from Marriott:

Can I Still Order Travel Package Awards?

Information on Marriott Bonvoy® Travel Packages
No. Due to varying factors such as low volume in demand, we are no longer selling Travel Package Awards as of January 19, 2022.

Q: What happens to the Travel Package Award I already have in my Account?

If you have a Travel Package Award attached to an existing Reservation, rest assured, we will be honoring your stay and no additional action is required.

Please Note:
The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Q: What happens if I need to modify or cancel my Travel Package Award redemption Reservation after March 2, 2022?

If you modify or cancel a Redemption Reservation that has a Travel Package Award attached to it after March 2, 2022, you must contact Member Support to cancel the Travel Package Award, after which you will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Point refund for the Hotel portion of the Award. Please visit https://www.marriott.com/help/loyalt...mer-support.mi to find the appropriate Member Support phone number based on your geographic location.

Q: How many Points will I be refunded?

Members will receive a full Marriott Bonvoy® Points refund for the Hotel portion of the Travel Package Award. The refund will be based on the current Points redemption category levels and will equal the sum of the Peak Points Redemption Rate per each Night of the Travel Package Award, at the highest category for which the Award was eligible. The airline miles portion of the Travel Package Award was deposited to you at the time of purchase of the Travel Package Award and, therefore, will not be refunded.

Print Wikipost

Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2021, 3:59 pm

I just canceled a 7-night reservation that had a TP certificate attached by using the Marriott web site. I was fully expecting that the certificate would not get returned but I was very surprised to find that it worked exactly as it should and the certificate is back in my account. This contrasts with past experience where certificates would not get returned without calling and getting a Bonvoy rep to chase it down.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 9:58 am

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Update: It took a while, but my certificate was replaced with one with a one year expiration. Unlike on my last call, I spoke with a very helpful agent on Friday who added notes to the case that should have made it clear that the only prior extensions to my certificate were due to the conversion and Covid and not any special requests.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by rny321
Update: It took a while, but my certificate was replaced with one with a one year expiration. Unlike on my last call, I spoke with a very helpful agent on Friday who added notes to the case that should have made it clear that the only prior extensions to my certificate were due to the conversion and Covid and not any special requests.
Great outcome!

On a separate note, if Marriott are going to extend these again for a final time, which I believe they will and arguably should, then it would serve them better imo to do sooner than later. I never understood why they left December’s extension until the last min, and why they only issued 6 months when the likes of even IHG were extending their own free night certs through ‘21
Old Mar 29, 2021, 12:38 pm

Programs: Nectar Card
Originally Posted by pazza2000
Great outcome!

On a separate note, if Marriott are going to extend these again for a final time, which I believe they will and arguably should, then it would serve them better imo to do sooner than later. I never understood why they left December’s extension until the last min, and why they only issued 6 months when the likes of even IHG were extending their own free night certs through ‘21
Leaving it to the last minute is possibly a strategic thing: in theory, they're trying to get people to use their certificates and extending as few as possible. It's not too unlike what some people hypothesize about last-minute cancellations by airlines: they're trying to get people to accept vouchers through a voluntary cancellation (assuming the airline has a voluntary cancellation policy), rather than a refund which would [likely] be required in the case of an involuntary cancellation.

Or, maybe it's not a strategic thing, and they're just being slow and bureaucratic.

As for 6 months vs. a year? They're not necessarily incentivized to give people more time to use their certs. If anything, they're incentivized to create spoilage.
Counsellor, SPN Lifer and qlaval like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 1:13 pm

having a difficult time booking 8 night stay w/ 7 night TP + 1 paid night. multiple HUCA. told "not allowed". anyone else?
Old Apr 3, 2021, 1:34 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Originally Posted by GundamWing01
having a difficult time booking 8 night stay w/ 7 night TP + 1 paid night. multiple HUCA. told "not allowed". anyone else?
Have you tried to book the one night separate? and just link the 2 reservations with the hotel...
Old Apr 3, 2021, 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by t1c
Have you tried to book the one night separate? and just link the 2 reservations with the hotel...
right. that strategy should always work regardless of TP or not. but i was specifically wondering this to hit the current marriott promo for double EQN. i dont think linking two separate bookings ever counted as the same stay. havent done it recently though.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Apr 3, 2021 at 1:47 pm
Old Apr 3, 2021, 3:50 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
right. that strategy should always work regardless of TP or not. but i was specifically wondering this to hit the current marriott promo for double EQN. i dont think linking two separate bookings ever counted as the same stay. havent done it recently though.
I got it... 2 day minimum... i think it should still link as an 8 day stay. if the hotel can move it under one reservation number..
Old Apr 3, 2021, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by t1c
I got it... 2 day minimum... i think it should still link as an 8 day stay. if the hotel can move it under one reservation number..
hmm. maybe youre right. i want to test this, but also dont want to waste a TP if it doesnt count for promo. its going to be a mattress run burn cert solely for the double EQN.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 4:30 pm
t1c

hmm. maybe youre right. i want to test this, but also dont want to waste a TP if it doesnt count for promo. its going to be a mattress run burn cert solely for the double EQN.
You can always delink the travel package... but i assume you mean converting points to certificate's.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 4:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by t1c
I don’t think hotels can do this. There was a discussion in the promo thread. They’ll tell you they’ve linked the reservations, but all they’re doing is making a note to not change your room. They can’t take 2 separate reservations and combine them under 1 reservation number.
SPN Lifer and rny321 like this.
Old Apr 3, 2021, 5:03 pm
t1c

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I don’t think hotels can do this. There was a discussion in the promo thread. They’ll tell you they’ve linked the reservations, but all they’re doing is making a note to not change your room. They can’t take 2 separate reservations and combine them under 1 reservation number.
well that is sad...
Old Apr 3, 2021, 6:03 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
that is my understanding as well. linking 2 bookings is strictly a "logistical" tool for keeping guests within the same room and ease of managing 2 bookings for the same guest at the same property. i have also been told I am unable to extend the number of nights within a TP booking. eg book TP 7 nights + try to extend out to 8 nights when checking in w/ front desk.

Originally Posted by t1c
You can always delink the travel package... but i assume you mean converting points to certificate's.
ive thought about just getting pts for the TP, but now its at 5k vs 45k. its a terrible deal. i would rather stay at a marriott down the street with a VR headset and pretend im on mars.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 6:38 am

i would rather stay at a marriott down the street with a VR headset and pretend im on mars.
Actually, that would be a great marketing device for Marriott these days of limited travel -- offer a room and use of a VR headset and program for the place or area you wish you could visit. I can see the ad now: "Budapest, Paris, Hong Kong, the Serengeti, or Mars, take your pick and relax in comfort at a local Marriott property."

Now if we can figure out a way to offer a Munich Biergarten with real Munich beer and a Haxe I'd be there.
Old Apr 4, 2021, 7:03 am

i was specifically wondering this to hit the current marriott promo for double EQN. i dont think linking two separate bookings ever counted as the same stay. havent done it recently though.
I'm not sure "linking" would be necessary but in this case I don't think it would work anyway since award nights apparently don't count for the "double" promotion. See the T&C for the promotion
*A “stay” is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/checkout activity on any points-eligible rate (“Qualifying Rate”).

Registration of your Marriott Bonvoy™ account is required. Marriott Bonvoy members who register for this promotion by April 13, 2021, will earn double points plus double Elite Night Credits on eligible paid stays of two nights or more during the promotion earning period. The promotion earning period is for stays between February 16, 2021, and April 27, 2021, at participating Marriott Bonvoy properties. The double points earning is only applicable to members’ base points earned per eligible stay. Only stays made after registration will qualify toward the promotion. A “stay” is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/checkout activity on any points-eligible rate (“Qualifying Rate”). Rates available through most third-party online retailers and select travel agency rates do not qualify for this promotion. Homes & Villas by Marriott International, Marriott Executive Apartments® and Marriott Vacation Club® owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for bonus points or double Elite Night Credits, and nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for bonus points or double Elite Night Credits. Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member’s Elite Night Credits or stay. Bonus Elite Night Credits will be awarded to the member’s account within 3–7 business days after the qualifying nights post. Elite Night Credits will count only toward the status year in which they are posted.
(bolding added.) https://www.marriott.com/loyalty/pro...promotion=DD21

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.