FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   Marriott Travel Packages [** Discontinued Jan 19, 2022 **] (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1985761-marriott-travel-packages-discontinued-jan-19-2022-a.html)

myperks Sep 9, 2019 9:43 pm

Originally Posted by crazyhorse (Post 31507273)
Yes it is. I just confirmed both emails.

I made that update. I was quite nervous (based on that statement from the Lurker) whether or not the TP Cert would be applied to my PA reservation. ​​​It wasn't a simple case of canceling and rebooking since this reservation is over Xmas break and there is no more award availability. If I couldn't have been able to apply the Cert, I'd have been forced to use 300K points or choose a different destination.

Fair enough. Then I take that as you found an agent that knows what he or she is doing or knows a back way of doing it.

exploreaswego Sep 10, 2019 1:56 pm

I called yesterday, and 2 of my remaining NC TP were extended for another year to Sep 2020.
Problem now is the rep was unable to attach the cert to a reservation, she said she will call me back within 24 hours to fix it in the background.

24 hours later, no follow up calls, one of my TP went missing and I received an email confirmation from the hotel showing this:

Summary of Points

Points Redeemed

Points Balance
PARTIAL PACKAGE - 7 NIGHTS CATEGORY 1-4
45,000 Points

Marriott Bonvoy Certificate Number: XXXX7141
Standard Redemption Rate
150,000 Points

Marriott Bonvoy Certificate Number: XXXX7141
Total Points Redeemed 195,000
What really puzzles me is that my reservation page in my Bonvoy account is still promoting me that I don't have enough points and have to redeem it when I meet the points requirement.
This means only one thing, my reservation is not confirmed!

You need additional points to make your hotel stay. Please remember to return here and deduct the points after you've earned them.

If you do not have sufficient points to use for a Redemption intended to be paid with points 15 days prior to your reservation, Marriott Bonvoy reserves the right to cancel your reservation. See terms and conditions.
Usually when the reservation is confirmed, I'll see the note saying an e-certificate is attached to the reservation like this

This reservation has e-certificate(s).

Your Reward certificates will be sent to your hotel.

I called the Titanium line twice, both reps assured me that my TP was already attached to the reservation, but cannot understand why it is not showing in my account - and won't send me any confirmation showing that my TP was redeemed. This is worrying, should I call again to get another rep to cancel and re-attach the TP again? Or is this just how typical Marriott IT handle reservations? TBH this is my first time encountering such difficulty.
It just doesn't sit right, as I most certainly do not want to turn up to a hotel telling me that they do not have my reservation confirmed.

UPDATE:
I logged in an hour ago to find my last TP missing. The system somehow attached my last TP on the existing reservation that was supposedly to have a TP that was already attached to it.
Called in, Rep is saying the system is experiencing a lot of problems now as they are integrating the new peak/off peak functions, and they are planning to phase out all existing functions in the old system which is causing duplicate errors on the new system. I somehow got re-issued back my 2 TP extended till 9/11 next year. I'll probably try attaching them after the peak/off peak is loaded in the system, and which things are more stable.
Marriott IT... Seriously..

I also just thought about it for those that want to extend their NC TP for another year, since there is already an issue redeem/attaching certs to reservations, essentially it's an open loop hole now, this is a free pass to getting those certs extended, because naturally the certs needs to re-issued back to you some how with all the existing problems, but you just have to deal with calling and find a competent rep knowing what they are doing..

eethan Sep 11, 2019 4:24 pm

Uggggghhhhh - my case was forwarded to elite services 3 days ago and they were supposed to get back to me today. I call elite services and the agent says she can extend my cert. Then she backtracks and says she cannot. I get switched to the "on hold" music and then my call ends and I get the robo survey prompter!

I call back again and another rep says they need to investigate how the 1st agent messed up originally (give them 2 more days, she says).
“The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of the expanding bureaucracy”

Such a waste of everyone's time! Remember - these certs were unusable for months last year due to Bonvoy IT problems.

daviddai1124 Sep 12, 2019 7:44 am

today I called Marriott to use my 7 days travel package, they told me if I cancel the booking, no package will refund into my account, I will only get 5000 point, they said this is a new policy. does anyone hear of this?

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Sep 12, 2019 9:43 am

Originally Posted by daviddai1124 (Post 31517274)
today I called Marriott to use my 7 days travel package, they told me if I cancel the booking, no package will refund into my account, I will only get 5000 point, they said this is a new policy. does anyone hear of this?

Hi daviddai1124! The Hotel Award Portion of the Travel Package is non-refundable to the Member if cancelled or not used. When ordering a new Travel Package Award, please be advised that if a Member chooses to cancel the Hotel Portion of the Travel Package at any time, they will receive 5,000 points back to their Account.

vivrant Sep 12, 2019 11:27 am

Apologies if this has been asked before, but would it be possible to use my 5 suite night awards in conjunction with a 7-night certificate stay (booked at the Aruba Marriott)?
An agent I spoke to on the phone said it would not be possible.

myperks Sep 12, 2019 11:39 am

Originally Posted by vivrant (Post 31518120)
Apologies if this has been asked before, but would it be possible to use my 5 suite night awards in conjunction with a 7-night certificate stay (booked at the Aruba Marriott)?
An agent I spoke to on the phone said it would not be possible.

You should be able to if you have at least 7 suite night awards

exploreaswego Sep 12, 2019 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker (Post 31517701)
Hi daviddai1124! The Hotel Award Portion of the Travel Package is non-refundable to the Member if cancelled or not used. When ordering a new Travel Package Award, please be advised that if a Member chooses to cancel the Hotel Portion of the Travel Package at any time, they will receive 5,000 points back to their Account.

Hi Lurker -- I think the OP meant if the 7N cert was attached to a refundable reservation, and he cancels, shouldn't the cert return back to his account to redeem for another 7N until it expires? I don't think he meant by refunding the cert for points.

vivrant Sep 12, 2019 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by myperks (Post 31518160)
You should be able to if you have at least 7 suite night awards

I only have 5 suite night awards. Am I SOL?

myperks Sep 12, 2019 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by vivrant (Post 31518460)
I only have 5 suite night awards. Am I SOL?

Probably out of luck unless you get another set.

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Sep 12, 2019 2:30 pm

Originally Posted by bluestrudels (Post 31518256)
Hi Lurker -- I think the OP meant if the 7N cert was attached to a refundable reservation, and he cancels, shouldn't the cert return back to his account to redeem for another 7N until it expires? I don't think he meant by refunding the cert for points.

Got it! Thank you for the extra details, bluestrudels! The Hotel Portion of the Travel Package Award may be used as a "Floater Award." If a Member decides they want to cancel the Hotel Portion because they have no plans on using it, then they will receive 5,000 points back to their account. We hope this clarifies your inquiry!

RedSun Sep 12, 2019 3:07 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker (Post 31518772)
Got it! Thank you for the extra details, bluestrudels! The Hotel Portion of the Travel Package Award may be used as a "Floater Award." If a Member decides they want to cancel the Hotel Portion because they have no plans on using it, then they will receive 5,000 points back to their account. We hope this clarifies your inquiry!

"Floater Award" was the term I did not understand from Marriott's policy. Here maybe a little more. If I understand correctly, "floater award" means the hotel portion of the TP can be attached, detached from the reservation and float around for later use, just like the annual reward night certificate.

@Marriott Bonvoy Lurker, can you confirm it? TY.

s0ssos Sep 12, 2019 3:33 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 31518896)
"Floater Award" was the term I did not understand from Marriott's policy. Here maybe a little more. If I understand correctly, "floater award" means the hotel portion of the TP can be attached, detached from the reservation and float around for later use, just like the annual reward night certificate.

Yes. Many of us don't bother attaching the hotel portion when we redeem a travel package. It may have something strange, and say something weird like 45,000 points, but it does work and can be attached.
For example, mine says:
Partial Package - 7 nights category 1-4

Marriott Bonvoy Lurker Sep 12, 2019 4:13 pm

Originally Posted by RedSun (Post 31518896)

Hey RedSun! Yes, this is correct. :)

RedSun Sep 12, 2019 4:33 pm

Originally Posted by Marriott Bonvoy Lurker (Post 31519093)
Hey RedSun! Yes, this is correct. :)

This is great. In Marriott's email, it mentioned "May be used as a Floater Award". I did not know what the "floater award" is referring to. Now I learnt something. :)