Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Bonvoy 2019 Q3 / Q4 New Promo ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7, 2019, 4:30 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
Because of a concept called competition. Competition is greatest when demand is highest. Promos are not designed to get people who are not traveling to travel, they're all about getting people who are traveling to pick you over the competition.
Originally Posted by Oxon Flyer
I think many will disagree with this blanket assertion. Is this a personal opinion, or a statement based on knowledge of Marriotts marketing strategies ?
It makes perfect sense. Most non-resort/non-vacationer hotels make the bulk of their money on business travelers as evidenced by the reduced weekend rate and closed lounges. Business travelers travel as the needs of the business dictate. Promotions have little effect on the business traveler's decision to travel. i.e. the number of hotel nights would not increase. However, the promotion might influence the choose of hotel.
acrophobia and andrewstahl like this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
What they are not good about is announcing said promotions in advance.
Well, sure. The point of a promotion is typically to drive new business, not to give a discount to people who are going to stay anyway.
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 9:52 am

Programs: AA EXP - 3.7MM, Bonv LIFETIME Titan, HH Dmd, Hyatt Glob., Priority Clb Dmd, Ntnl Exec El., Sixt PLT
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Well, sure. The point of a promotion is typically to drive new business, not to give a discount to people who are going to stay anyway.
- True. It is also true that Bonvoy should not assume that some even very frequent customers are going to stay in Marriott properties regarding the promos. I am with 98 nights with Bonvoy (thanks to double night promo) with 10 more award nights in Westin before the year end. Regarding other stays through the end of the year, Hilton hotels are more convenient where I am going and with the current Hilton promo + achievement bonuses at 40 and 50 nights my other stays are definitely going to Hilton.
Old Sep 7, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: Delta PM
Originally Posted by Alex_I
- True. It is also true that Bonvoy should not assume that some even very frequent customers are going to stay in Marriott properties regarding the promos. I am with 98 nights with Bonvoy (thanks to double night promo) with 10 more award nights in Westin before the year end. Regarding other stays through the end of the year, Hilton hotels are more convenient where I am going and with the current Hilton promo + achievement bonuses at 40 and 50 nights my other stays are definitely going to Hilton.
This, I have an upcoming conference at a Hilton property with a Marriott down the block. Extra points and I will take the Marriott, otherwise I am staying at the conference site. More convenient.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 10:20 am

Marriott’s timing is out of sync with the competition: Hilton, Hyatt, IHG ( and more modestly, Accor) now offering decent promos. So it’s either make hay while the sun shines with them or hold off for a leap in the dark with Marriott. I’m starting to lock in bookings with the others; in SPG days I might have waited a bit longer but not very hopeful of anything worth waiting for from Marriott ( and especially so given that any nights above 75 are essentially ‘dead’, unless close to 20K)
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: Hilton Honors Diamond, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond, Caesar's Diamond
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Yes, and by not announcing promotions in advance, they are causing me to book with Hilton, who has already announced their promotion. Now that I've already planned my travel around Hilton's promo, Marriott would have to announce a significantly better promo than Hilton to get me to switch. So by announcing in advance, Hilton has driven business to themselves that may have otherwise gone to Marriott.
Jerry Vandesic and Lizie like this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 11:40 am

Programs: Aeroplan, Amex AeroPlat
Same. Going to a conference and staying four nights. Hilton booked due to their nice promo with at least double points. I’d probably switch to Marriott down one block if similar promo is announced.
AbuCordoba likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2019, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; BA GGL; Virgin Gold; United Silver; Hilton Dia; IHG Spire; Marriott Tit; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Voodoo Daddy
Yes, and by not announcing promotions in advance, they are causing me to book with Hilton, who has already announced their promotion. Now that I've already planned my travel around Hilton's promo, Marriott would have to announce a significantly better promo than Hilton to get me to switch. So by announcing in advance, Hilton has driven business to themselves that may have otherwise gone to Marriott.
+1
AbuCordoba likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 1:13 pm

Programs: DL reject, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Jelly of the Month, formerly NWA Plat (RIP)
+1 for me too. I needed to schedule the next 3 weeks and would have liked to get some Marriott night credits to get close to Titanium. But with no promo vs triple points with Hilton, I booked 15 nights with Hilton instead of Marriott. Even a mediocre offer would have been worth considering, but Marriott is missing out by not competing for business.
Jerry Vandesic and AbuCordoba like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:16 am

Programs: Oman Air Gold, Qatar Airways Platinum, Marriott Ambassador, HH Diamond, GHA Black, Hyatt Globalist
I have 103 nights this year and 17500 USD spend, I was debating to go for ambassador again but without a promotion, it makes sense to allocate my business to Hilton and Hyatt who have announced their promotion. I do not understand what they are thinking sometimes, whats the harm in producing concurrent promotions!!
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
They are too busy tinkering with the new variable pricing scheme (i.e., the cost side of things), versus considering ways to drive consumer revenue
KRSW, Duke787, paolo64 and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 9:30 am

Agree - Marriott out of sync.
I waited, nothing came, so i've gone with IHG (and their promotion) for a week long biz trip.
KRSW, paolo64 and AbuCordoba like this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 10:59 am

Looks like they’re calling this one “Like it or Lump it” ( matching the newly introduced, substantially revised ,dynamic pricing for award stays)
Duke787 likes this.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Yep I'm 1 night shy of Titanium (miscalculation on my part had me 1 short after my last trip).

So for my upcoming Asia trip will keep Renaissance Bangkok (because I literally will be in the room from 1030pm - 6am so just need the bed and will take that to get 75) but think I'll go with Conrad Singapore over Westin Singapore unless something comes up from Marriott (have both booked)
Old Sep 15, 2019, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5MM, HHonors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC, National Emerald Executive
Pure and simple - currently Hilton promo is 3x bonus points - double for regular folks, triple for Hilton CC cardholders. So to get 3x Hilton points or 1x Bonvoy - it's a no brainer. And last promo was abysmal. I think Bonvoy is getting no business from my for the rest of the year, as I have qualified for Titanium a while back, and have been using Hilton almost exclusively since August....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.