Wiki Posts
Search

Special rates for local residents

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun
It isn't descrimination on residency either! It just isn't descrimination period! It is marketing towards a specific demographic. If you don't fit into the targeted demographic, you are not eligible for the offer. Simple! Similarly, a contest may be limited to a specific region. It is not discriminatory if you don't live where the contest applies to. Again, quite Simple!

James
Absolutely fair point. The only reason any of us are using the word discrimination is because of the OP’s use of the term in his post.
TerryK and Flying for Fun like this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:09 am

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie

Absolutely fair point. The only reason any of us are using the word discrimination is because of the OP’s use of the term in his post.
I understand but we all need to be cognizant of the ramifications of doing so. It is a touchy subject for some and an inappropriate scapegoat for others.

Interestingly, no one seems to be bothered about "Ladies night" specials which in itself is discriminatory towards men. I do agree that the OP opened up a can of worms with the choice of words though. I will leave it at that.

Cheers

James
Old Aug 22, 2019, 5:13 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
1. At least with the previously SPG-affiliated hotels (e.g., Chatwal, St. Regis SF, etc.), resident rates for CA and NYC-area residents were quite common and often listed on the "Offers" page. The rates were often very similar to AAA rates (10-15% off + free breakfast). I don't see them as often now with Marriott, but I bet if you called the hotel and asked you might get lucky. My guess is that there's some special code for these rates that is no longer prominently listed online (with SPG, if memory serves, it often was something like "RESFLT," but with Marriott it would be some 3-character code).

2. There are two types of discrimination: invidious and benign. I would say these rates are a type of benign discrimination.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Flying for Fun

Interestingly, no one seems to be bothered about "Ladies night" specials which in itself is discriminatory towards men. I do agree that the OP opened up a can of worms with the choice of words though. I will leave it at that.

Cheers

James
I am bothered by ladies night (and might be more so if I were female), but we needn’t get into that discussion here. Special rates for residents don’t trouble me in the least.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Marriott Plat Prem., Hilton Gold, National Exec Elite.
I am bothered by ladies night (and might be more so if I were female), but we needn’t get into that discussion here. Special rates for residents don’t trouble me in the least.
Everyone is ignoring the fact that the local rate I am complaining about made it seem as though everyone was eligible based on the description and it was only on the 12th line of the rate rule where it said that you need a particular id... Truth be told, if it had been obvious from the get go I would not even have bothered to click on it or look.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 11:37 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
The saga continues despite the obvious fact that local and special rates are the normal course of business pretty much everywhere.
TerryK likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 1:35 pm

"it seemed like everyone was eligible except the part where it said only residents of X"

Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
Everyone is ignoring the fact that the local rate I am complaining about made it seem as though everyone was eligible based on the description and it was only on the 12th line of the rate rule where it said that you need a particular id... Truth be told, if it had been obvious from the get go I would not even have bothered to click on it or look.
Nobody is ignoring that at all. The fact that you personally didn't notice doesn't suddenly make it "blatant discrimination"
Old Aug 22, 2019, 2:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by Tedgrrrr
There are complaints about what line one term or another of a hotel, air carrier, or car rental rate appear littered all over FT. The bottom line is that everyone wants the term that trips them up in 100-point bold font at the top. The rub is that people differ as to which item tripped them up.

Would you be happier if it were the 11th line? How much worse would it be if it were the 13th?

You should also be aware that there are plenty of properties which specifically do not rent rooms to local residents. There are rants on FT about those as well.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:55 pm

Originally Posted by btonkid12345
What unnecessary hyperbole. No hotel is charging full rack rate to a Titanium; worst case they would charge what the current Best Available Rate (BAR) is, which is significantly less than RACK.
But it's not hyperbole in some places. In the two hotels in which I used to work, we routinely sold full rack rates on multiple nights of an average business work week. That was our BAR on most Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 4:58 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Case in point!
nancypants likes this.
Old Aug 22, 2019, 7:46 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Often1
You should also be aware that there are plenty of properties which specifically do not rent rooms to local residents. There are rants on FT about those as well.
I was not aware of such properties. Would you mind sharing some examples? I am surprised that hotels would refuse to allow local residents to book rooms. I would think that as long as any person were willing to pay whatever the hotel is asking, it wouldn't matter where the person was actually from. How do these properties define "local resident"?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.