Early Check In

Old Aug 16, 19, 10:46 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum
Early Check In

Unsure if I should have dealt with this situation differently, trying to check in to the St Regis Singapore this morning.

I used mobile check in yesterday, said that I had been upgraded to a suite in the app. I also put in my check in time as 1100.

When I arrived at the hotel, I was informed that check in is at 1500 and the room is not ready. I also got downgraded (but still an upgrade from the room I booked) to another room type. They said they will have the room ready by 1300.

Should I have confirmed my check in time with the hotel before? I assumed that because my mobile check in was accepted for 1100 it would be fine.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:20 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Spire, Hotels.com Gold, Accor Silver
Did you verify and show the check in desk about your pre-upgraded suite?
It's very YMMV, most of the time, the app is so inaccurate as it's just a system pre-updating.
If you want anything confirmed, you need to use the chat within the app to get written confirmation or call to ask.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by fireanwater1 View Post
.........Should I have confirmed my check in time with the hotel before? I assumed that because my mobile check in was accepted for 1100 it would be fine.
The Check In Time in app doesn't confirm anything. It just generates a message to property to note your arrival time. Unless you have applied SNA, pre-upgrades are not guaranteed.
Old Aug 17, 19, 2:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amex Platinum
The app managed to change so I couldn’t show it unfortunately. It does sound like I should have called/chatted before to get confirmation of the early check in, will remember for next time. This is the first time this has happened to me, probably because the hotel is running at 100% apparently.
Old Aug 17, 19, 3:36 am

Programs: HertzPresCircle, Virgin Atlantic Gold,Hil-Diam, Europcar Elite Vip, Emirates Gold, MarriottTitanium.
Originally Posted by fireanwater1 View Post
The app managed to change so I couldn’t show it unfortunately. It does sound like I should have called/chatted before to get confirmation of the early check in, will remember for next time. This is the first time this has happened to me, probably because the hotel is running at 100% apparently.
unless the app says ‘Room Key is ready’ doing the mobile check in doesn’t mean anything reg. Early check in.
KRSW likes this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 4:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
screen shot
screen shot
screen shot
Old Aug 17, 19, 5:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
You may enter any arrival time you wish. All that does is provide a list to Room Assignment and the Front Desk. It does not mean that your early check-in is remotely guaranteed.
Old Aug 17, 19, 5:59 am
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

2019 Secret Santa

Programs: Hilton Diamond
The estimated check in time has nothing to do with availability of your room... especially an upgraded room. They cannot force out a previous guest from the upgraded room just because you say you want to check in early. If you wanted your original upgraded room, you should have said you would wait until it was ready... otherwise, sounds like the property did the best they could with the inventory of rooms they had available.
bhrubin likes this.
Old Aug 17, 19, 6:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT PLT, AA LT PLT, HH GLD, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by UA-NYC View Post
screen shot
screen shot
screen shot
I don't think that would have any effect. A mobile check-in with an arrival time that you enter doesn't enforce any type of rules.
Old Aug 17, 19, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Screen shot for the room type

Search this Thread