Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Strategy for getting the best deal @ JW Marriott Camelback Inn - July 2020

Strategy for getting the best deal @ JW Marriott Camelback Inn - July 2020

Old Aug 16, 19, 3:46 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Gold
Question Strategy for getting the best deal @ JW Marriott Camelback Inn - July 2020

We've stayed several times at this property in Scottsdale, AZ - our favourite destination in the area. Want to head back for a few nights in July 2020 (flights already booked with Avios), and want to snag a good deal. Having two little ones tag along these days makes summer holiday so much more £££ than it used to be when it was just me and my wife.

What's the best strategy for snatching the best deal? Do Marriott periodically have a sale which would offer booking dates so far ahead, or is it just a case of watching the website and seeing if a good deal comes along? Or would offers only get loaded for a property much nearer the time?

Any advice appreciated. Didn't used to worry so much about hotel 'deals' - but its more important now to making the budget work! Especially when the £/$ rate is so atrocious.

Or are booking sites like Kayak or Expedia ever better value than going direct?

Thanks in advance!
Old Aug 16, 19, 4:32 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
With the best rate guarantee, direct is best. July is HOT so you should get some good rates-not to steer you from Camelback, but check out the JW Desert Ridge too. Great property and wonderful pools/lazy river for kids. You might also be able to book the Vacation Club properties connected to Desert Ridge-get a full villa with kitchen if that interests you. Just food for thought.
Old Aug 16, 19, 4:54 am
Original Poster

That does interest me a lot - will check those out, thanks. We’ve always been in July or August but the cost seemed to be so much more competitive, without even trying hard! seems they’ve upped the pricing, even in peak heat season.

Look forward to checking out those other places tonight. Thanks.
Old Aug 16, 19, 4:58 am

Programs: Hilton Gold, PC Ambassador Platinum, Club Carlson Gold, Marriot/SPG Gold, TK Gold
It might be too soon. Some hotels don't actively manage the inventory so far in advance, and what you see is some sort of place holder high rate.

I'd book some flexible rate you are comfortable with as a backup plan and just track the prices. I find that most hotels sweet spot is about 2-3 weeks prior to the stay - but there is always a risk of a a sell out (though I cannot imagine that happening in the summer in AZ).
JoeWoodstock likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 5:29 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by 747_not_777 View Post
That does interest me a lot - will check those out, thanks. We’ve always been in July or August but the cost seemed to be so much more competitive, without even trying hard! seems they’ve upped the pricing, even in peak heat season.

Look forward to checking out those other places tonight. Thanks.

Excellent. With the Vacation Club places, you get to use the Desert Ridge pools-which is a big plus IMHO.
747_not_777 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 7:31 am

Programs: American Airlines, Continental, United, Southwest, BA, Marriott Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt
These are both big conference hotels, so if they book a large meeting you are going to pay a higher rate since they won't have a lot of transient rooms for sale. Having said that, I believe Desert Ridge has condos that are for rent by the week where you might find the pricing a bit better.
747_not_777 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 19, 10:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Prices were higher this summer, particularly on weekends, but base level rooms were still available in the $200 range, which is considerably lower than during the high season. The only "strategy" I would suggest is to check prices frequently.

Desert Ridge is IMO not a comparable property - not the location, the landscape and views, the history, nor the service.
Old Aug 16, 19, 11:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I would probably book a refundable rate to lock in the dates and as others have mentioned keep lookiing ( I would think that it is too early for the very good summer rates/offers to be loaded yet) and during July the chances of a number of large conventions occuring should be lower.

A few years ago I got a $160 rate ( with a $100 resort credit) and did not book until a couple of months prior to arrival.

Regards

TBS
Old Aug 16, 19, 3:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG75K; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot View Post
Hi,
A few years ago I got a $160 rate ( with a $100 resort credit) and did not book until a couple of months prior to arrival.
Good point. I got a AAA rate in August that was like $207 with a $50 per night resort credit.
Old Aug 16, 19, 4:41 pm

Programs: Starwoods/ Marriott Life Time Platinum, Hilton-Diamond, and HP
You might want to give the front desk a call this month, to see if they have any "summer specials" for July 2020.
Old Aug 16, 19, 4:57 pm

Locals often get a better price in summer in AZ. You can PM me in 2020 and I will relay if they advertise any prices. Mountain Shadows which is no longer a Marriott property but across the street had a very good deal this year.
747_not_777 likes this.

Last edited by Centurion; Aug 16, 19 at 5:07 pm
Old Aug 17, 19, 7:20 am

Programs: Virtuoso, Marriott Stars/Luminous, Hilton Impresario, IHG Luxury & Lifestyle, Hyatt Prive etc
If you book with a Stars/Luminous travel agent, you would get the following benefits on the flexible 'regular rate' - adds good value if you don't have status.
  • Complimentary breakfast for 2 daily in hotel restaurant
  • Welcome amenity
  • Room upgrade (subject to availability)
  • Early check-in and late check.-out (subject to availability)
  • WIFI
Old Aug 18, 19, 3:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Centurion View Post
Locals often get a better price in summer in AZ. You can PM me in 2020 and I will relay if they advertise any prices. Mountain Shadows which is no longer a Marriott property but across the street had a very good deal this year.
Thank you for the offer - that's incredibly kind of you. Duly noted!

Originally Posted by price123 View Post
If you book with a Stars/Luminous travel agent, you would get the following benefits on the flexible 'regular rate' - adds good value if you don't have status.
This isn't something I've heard of, so will look into it too.

Thanks - and I really appreciate all the help and tips from everyone!

Search this Thread