Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Only 1,000 points awarded for 4 night suite stay?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2019, 6:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan, BA Executive, AMEX MR

3 weeks ago my wife and I stayed at the Hotel De Rougemont in Switzerland, a Design Hotel. The stay was 4 nights and was booked as a Suite and we paid cash for the room.

After filing a missing points report they finally credited me the nights and the points and the total was as follows: 1,028 Base, 257 Elite Bonus (I am Gold), 2,000 Extra for a total of 3,285 points.

I think the "Extra" is from the recent Bonvoy promotion to get an extra 2,000 points for the recent "Endless Earning" promotion. And if it wasn't then those are missing as well.

1,028 seems awfully low for a base reward for 4 nights in a suite. For comparison, the 1 night we stayed in Lyon at the Marriott there, considerably less expensive, I received 1,338 Base points, 335 Elite points and 500 "Extra" for a total of 2,173.

Is this normal or did I get underpaid here?

As an aside, the hotel and the staff were amazing and I would highly recommend the hotel as a summer getaway if you're looking to kick back and do absolutely nothing but relax and enjoy the mountains.

EDIT: We also spent about $200 in F&B, if that makes a difference.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:14 pm

Seems extremely low. How much did you spend? Send email to research@ email and tell them to recalculate or pickup the phone because it doesnt look right. Maybe an FX issue.

did you book on Marriott?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Not sure how they came up with that, but you're supposed to be earning 10pts/$ of your total room rate plus 10pts/$ for your incidentals.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 7:27 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by bennyg2
3 weeks ago my wife and I stayed at the Hotel De Rougemont in Switzerland, a Design Hotel. The stay was 4 nights and was booked as a Suite and we paid cash for the room.

After filing a missing points report they finally credited me the nights and the points and the total was as follows: 1,028 Base, 257 Elite Bonus (I am Gold), 2,000 Extra for a total of 3,285 points.

I think the "Extra" is from the recent Bonvoy promotion to get an extra 2,000 points for the recent "Endless Earning" promotion. And if it wasn't then those are missing as well.

1,028 seems awfully low for a base reward for 4 nights in a suite. For comparison, the 1 night we stayed in Lyon at the Marriott there, considerably less expensive, I received 1,338 Base points, 335 Elite points and 500 "Extra" for a total of 2,173.

Is this normal or did I get underpaid here?

As an aside, the hotel and the staff were amazing and I would highly recommend the hotel as a summer getaway if you're looking to kick back and do absolutely nothing but relax and enjoy the mountains.

EDIT: We also spent about $200 in F&B, if that makes a difference.
This sounds like you earned only on (some) spending during your stay and not on your basic room (suite) rate. How much did you pay per night and more importantly, how did you make the reservation?
Old Aug 14, 2019, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Made the reservation through the Bonvoy app or Bonvoy website direct. Cant remember precisely but I religiously only book hotels directly.

Total spend was apr. 2,250 Swiss Francs ($2,300 USD or $3,100 CAD as I am Canadian).

I will call Bonvoy tomorrow and open an investigation I guess. Thanks
Tokyoite and Antarius like this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Made the reservation through the Bonvoy app or Bonvoy website direct. Cant remember precisely but I religiously only book hotels directly.

Total spend was apr. 2,250 Swiss Francs ($2,300 USD or $3,100 CAD as I am Canadian).

I will call Bonvoy tomorrow and open an investigation I guess. Thanks
Looks like someone or something messed up. I had a stay that only posted incidentals and bonus, so I got 3000 points instead of 50k odd.

Took a quick 2 min call with Marriott to sort it out.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:21 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Base points are frequently wrong, especially for hotels outside of the US. I check all my points nowadays and am still running at just below 50% incorrect posting since the merger (used to do 5-10 stays per month with Marriott, now more like one for obvious reasons).
KRSW likes this.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
Base points are frequently wrong, especially for hotels outside of the US. I check all my points nowadays and am still running at just below 50% incorrect posting since the merger (used to do 5-10 stays per month with Marriott, now more like one for obvious reasons).
wow. My error rate is tiny now, even for properties outside the US (spain, France, colombia, Brazil, japan, China, Australia, mexico being the sample size).

Between August of last year and Jan, there were intermittent issues and really random conversions, but fortunately (for me at least) it has stopped now.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 9:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Antarius
Looks like someone or something messed up. I had a stay that only posted incidentals and bonus, so I got 3000 points instead of 50k odd.

Took a quick 2 min call with Marriott to sort it out.
Thanks. Ill call in the morning.
Antarius likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 8:51 am
Original Poster

I called this morning. They apparently only gave me points for $102 worth of spend.

The agent sent an email to the hotel asking them to resolve this and also assigned it a case number. I was told 3 to 5 business days.

Here's hopin'.....
Antarius, margarita girl and KRSW like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 9:02 am

Programs: AA: EXP MR: Ti
I called this morning. They apparently only gave me points for $102 worth of spend.

The agent sent an email to the hotel asking them to resolve this and also assigned it a case number. I was told 3 to 5 business days.

Here's hopin'.....

corp will get this fixed if the hotel pushes back. it just might take a few years
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:06 am

This is why I would always recommend getting a paper invoice at checkout. I've had hotels miscredit or fail to credit entirely and it's a simple and quick fix when you have an invoice. I've also had hotels not send me an email invoice after requesting it, that's why I always ask for a print out now.
SacTownGuy, Happy, KRSW and 1 others like this.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:27 am

I have been paying attention to my point postings lately with Marriott and am amazed how frequently it's not right. I find it very bothersome.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 10:37 am

Programs: Aeroplan; Marriott Platinum; IHG Platinum; Best Western Diamond
Originally Posted by Too_Fly1
This is why I would always recommend getting a paper invoice at checkout. I've had hotels miscredit or fail to credit entirely and it's a simple and quick fix when you have an invoice. I've also had hotels not send me an email invoice after requesting it, that's why I always ask for a print out now.
Hmm, I think I'll start asking for paper invoice now. In April we stayed at Sheraton Detroit Airport as reward nights, did not get the stay credit or welcome points. I called Marriott and the lady said there's no stay credit for reward nights and wouldn't look into it until I insisted. I asked the hotel to send me invoice in email, but they sent one for parking charge (which was reversed as our conference covered it) and not the room stay. They also claimed no record of my stay?!? More calls and I eventually got the stay credit, but not the welcome bonus. Now I learned, the hotel may not send you the invoice by email when you ask for it. As for this Sheraton Detroit airport hotel, don't go there. They had water leaks, only 1 of 3 elevators was working, business center did not have printing or internet, etc.
Old Aug 15, 2019, 11:03 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Clearly everyone's experiences of Marriott's screw-ups seem to be unique, but I will say that after initially almost never getting my email invoice at the merger, this has now been working with 100% reliability for some months for me. I've now (finally) stopped asking for paper at check-outs. Shame the points provided are still so often wrong.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.