Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

1 killed, 6 injured in shuttle bus rollover crash near Sea-Tac Airport

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

1 killed, 6 injured in shuttle bus rollover crash near Sea-Tac Airport

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Gold, TK M&S Nobody
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's still doesn't explain it in that normally the laws of physics would say that when a car hits a much heavier van, the car sustains the most damage (and injuries). It seems unusual that a passenger car hitting a van would cause the van to roll over, although again physics would suggest that hitting the van in the right spot......

It also doesn't say why the car crossed the median, on a dry road in daylight etc.
Not too hard to find videos showing how this happens if one is so inclined [or YouTube's AI thinks one is] - generally a hit on the rear quarter sending the back half of the vehicle sideways to an extent where the wheels are no longer "wheels" from the perspective of the momentum of the vehicle.

Condolences for the families involved.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by OregonMan
I sometimes worry about this sort of thing when taking the crowded rental car shuttle buses at DEN.
Originally Posted by dayone
I think the trip to/from one's home airport might be more dangerous than riding an airport shuttle.
Earlier this week I was among many packed-in standees on the CLE bus-shuttle from the (way offsite) rental car center to the terminal, careening down a stretch of freeway at 60+ mph. I do not think the vehicle was equipped with seat belts. It would not take a collision to injure a lot of people, just a panic stop. An actual crash would have unsecured people and luggage flying out the windshield and windows. I would not call that (standard situation at CLE) in any way safe.
OregonMan likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:40 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
That's still doesn't explain it in that normally the laws of physics would say that when a car hits a much heavier van, the car sustains the most damage (and injuries). It seems unusual that a passenger car hitting a van would cause the van to roll over, although again physics would suggest that hitting the van in the right spot......

It also doesn't say why the car crossed the median, on a dry road in daylight etc.
On the contrary - the law of physics - m+A=F and contact point for transfer of momentum.
Weight of vehicle and velocity of such vehicle.
Point of contact to transfer /absorb force between vehicles.

Analogy - a 300 lb lineman standing still won't be moved if hit by a 200 lb running back just starting his/her acceleration vs. that same lineman hit by a 215 lb corner back running at full velocity say 13 mph would have to absorb all of the force (which likely he would fall).
Another analogy - that same lineman hit chest to chest contact vs. that lineman hit on his lower left leg.

If the two vehicle were heading head to head (you are correct), if the van was attempting to avoid collision (either braking, accelerating or turning) its center of gravity was off center and any impact to its corners would knock it off balance. Investigation and camera footage will validate the situation. It is easy to spin any vehicle by clipping its back quarterpanel and if that vehicle has high center of gravity (van, or truck) likely that spin will turn into roll.
strickerj likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:36 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Marriott Bonvoy

Programs: SPG LT Plat, BA G, BD*LG, MG Blue+ ...
Folks, A comment that was inappropriate for the circumstances, plus some responses, have been removed.

And as a reminder : the FT Rules require that, once you've reported a 'bad post', you're not to then keep posting your condemnations of it on-thread.

The mod team
Old Jul 26, 2019, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Awful. I've ridden that shuttle a handful of times, mostly 10+ years ago, and something like this never entered my mind.
KRSW likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by BearX220
Earlier this week I was among many packed-in standees on the CLE bus-shuttle from the (way offsite) rental car center to the terminal, careening down a stretch of freeway at 60+ mph. I do not think the vehicle was equipped with seat belts. It would not take a collision to injure a lot of people, just a panic stop. An actual crash would have unsecured people and luggage flying out the windshield and windows. I would not call that (standard situation at CLE) in any way safe.
Or the conditions of the roads in and out of CLE's rental car center.

David
BearX220 likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by DELee
Or the conditions of the roads in and out of CLE's rental car center.
You got that right. The whole district feels like World War III was fought there five years ago.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
Awful. I've ridden that shuttle a handful of times, mostly 10+ years ago, and something like this never entered my mind.
Very true - now we will all think safety. I have been on an LAX hotel shuttle - where the driver made everyone be seated and did not take on standing passengers. You don't appreciate safety until something like this happens. But I always use the seat belt when I know the van is going on the highway.

But this situation is such a short distance. Not sure if there was a T-bone situation - since the Van has to cross the street or at least wait in the left turn lane.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 1:56 pm

From the Seattle Times article: "The 14 passenger seats and driver’s seat all had seat belts, but it’s not clear if they were being used."

I've been on many so many shuttle buses that it's hard to remember which ones do & do not have seat belts, but usually this type of van seems to lack them. The newer Sprinter/Transit vans seem to have them at every seat. Like others, I've been on this van and with it being such a short distance, I doubt many people bothered with seat belts.

It's a good reminder to all of us, use the seat belts, no matter how short the distance is.
dgreen12 and strickerj like this.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:26 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Titanium
As I am a shuttle driver for a SEA-TAC long term parking lot, our company will usually not allow for people to stand on the bus. I have had just a few people on my shuttle and one biz guy will insist on standing. Its not an isolated thing, multiple times per week this happens. Why, I have no idea. We will not move the shuttle until everyone is seated and a few glares from others will usually do the trick.

None of our buses are equipped with seat-belts,only the drivers seat has it. We don't use it as we are in and out of the seat so much.

The van that the Marriott was using was very new. Just into service a few months ago. It is a Ford Transit connect van that is not a common shuttle van for the shuttles at SEA-TAC. Most use the Ford Cutaway with body by Eldorado, that is a much heavier, more sturdy, robust van, that has a dually tires in the rear, that shouldn't tip over like that. However, hit just right any vehicle can.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 4:41 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

The Marriott shuttle charges for the service? Maybe that's way I stopped staying there 20 years ago and now am loyal to the Hilton.

BTW....The lone death was when the 45 year old man was partially ejected out the window and was " found" under the van as per a recent updated article.
Old Jul 26, 2019, 7:48 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by david55
The Marriott shuttle charges for the service? Maybe that's way I stopped staying there 20 years ago and now am loyal to the Hilton.
SEATAC Marriott started charging $4 each way for the shuttle maybe 5 or 6 years ago. It is walkable down the hill to the elevator to the light rail with an overhead walkway. So I am guessing ridership was down so they got a smaller VAN. 8 people in a transit connect would be packed.

The pictures of the crashed vehicle does not look like a Transit Connect. It looks bigger. The picture shows double wires on each side in the back. Looks like the standard bus they use.
Old Jul 27, 2019, 9:41 am

Programs: I've gone underground!
I stayed here 2 weeks ago and rode the van round trip. Never paid for the ride and didn’t notice any seatbelts.

The vehicle i rode in looked looked like the picture and had seats in a “U” shape around the periphery.
Flying for Fun likes this.
Old Jul 28, 2019, 11:58 am

Programs: Alaska, Delta, Southwest
Originally Posted by cova
The pictures of the crashed vehicle does not look like a Transit Connect. It looks bigger. The picture shows double wires on each side in the back. Looks like the standard bus they use.
From the front end, it looks like the full sized Transit, not the compact Transit Connect, but with a custom shuttle bus cabin in place of the standard van body. These are popular chassis for RVs as well. (I pass by them every day at a dealer in my hometown.)

I’m guessing the front end of the car struck the side of the van just ahead of the rear left wheel, and possibly slid under it so as to scoop it up, so to speak, causing the rollover. Certainly the van is bigger and heavier than the car (an early-2000s BMW 3-Series, from the looks of it), but the most vulnerable part of the van (the side) got hit by the most protected part of the car (the front end).

My condolences to all. Especially tragic is knowing that, since this van was equipped with seatbelts for all passengers, this would have been a survivable crash had everyone been wearing them.
Old Jul 29, 2019, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cova
SEATAC Marriott started charging $4 each way for the shuttle maybe 5 or 6 years ago. It is walkable down the hill to the elevator to the light rail with an overhead walkway. So I am guessing ridership was down so they got a smaller VAN. 8 people in a transit connect would be packed.
I remember when this blew up on the Marriott board back in the day. I have not stayed in this hotel since - and will not do so because of this fee.

Yes, I can walk that far, and might even be tempted to do it for fun when the weather is nice. But I don't want walking to be my primary option to get to the hotel with my luggage when the weather isn't nice.
MSPeconomist and strickerj like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.