FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy-766/)
-   -   1 killed, 6 injured in shuttle bus rollover crash near Sea-Tac Airport (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/marriott-marriott-bonvoy/1980157-1-killed-6-injured-shuttle-bus-rollover-crash-near-sea-tac-airport.html)

arles Jul 25, 2019 4:00 pm

1 killed, 6 injured in shuttle bus rollover crash near Sea-Tac Airport

Sea-Tac Airport Marriott shuttle bus involved in crash. 1 killed, six injured.

https://komonews.com/news/local/mult...ea-tac-airport

arles Jul 25, 2019 4:07 pm

A total of eight people, including the driver, were believed to have been on the shuttle at the time of the crash, Sampson said. The driver was the only person in the car.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...ea-tac-1-dead/

Westcoaster Jul 25, 2019 5:08 pm

How awful. That's just down the hill from the Marriott. Broad daylight, dry pavement. :(

MSPeconomist Jul 25, 2019 5:39 pm

It will be interesting to see what the authorities find to be the cause of the accident. Presumably the shuttle van was larger and heavier than the other vehicle (car) involved in the crash.

alc Jul 25, 2019 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31343028)
It will be interesting to see what the authorities find to be the cause of the accident. Presumably the shuttle van was larger and heavier than the other vehicle (car) involved in the crash.

If I understand correctly from the article:

Sampson said the car was heading south on International Boulevard and the shuttle was heading north when the car veered across the median and slammed into the shuttle bus, knocking it over onto its side.
it seems like it is the car that went over the median and hit the shuttle.

MSPeconomist Jul 25, 2019 6:29 pm

Originally Posted by alc (Post 31343044)
If I understand correctly from the article:

it seems like it is the car that went over the median and hit the shuttle.

That's still doesn't explain it in that normally the laws of physics would say that when a car hits a much heavier van, the car sustains the most damage (and injuries). It seems unusual that a passenger car hitting a van would cause the van to roll over, although again physics would suggest that hitting the van in the right spot......

It also doesn't say why the car crossed the median, on a dry road in daylight etc.

mahasamatman Jul 25, 2019 6:39 pm

The death can be fully attributed to the lack of (using) seat belts. When will they start to mandate seat belts in all vehicles?

GeezerCouple Jul 25, 2019 7:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31343157)
That's still doesn't explain it in that normally the laws of physics would say that when a car hits a much heavier van, the car sustains the most damage (and injuries). It seems unusual that a passenger car hitting a van would cause the van to roll over, although again physics would suggest that hitting the van in the right spot......

It also doesn't say why the car crossed the median, on a dry road in daylight etc.

My guess would be distracted driving (texting?) or a medical problem. Or just plain old inattentiveness (daydreaming, another form of distracted driving).

Nasty, no matter what the reason.

And so sudden. It's frightening to think about how easily this type of thing could happen, although thus far, it's still relatively rare, given the number of passenger miles driven/ridden/etc..

GC

RoyalFlush Jul 25, 2019 8:04 pm

Awful.

This is why I ALWAYS wear my seatbelt on hotel shuttles.

cova Jul 25, 2019 8:49 pm

Just tragic. I do use seat belt on shuttles, however this route is such a short distance - I doubt I did.

I have used this shuttle many times, however since they started charging, I found it easier and quicker to just walk down the hill and take the elevator up to the light rail station and walk through the parking garage to SEATAC.

nachosdelux Jul 25, 2019 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist (Post 31343157)

still being investigated. be patient

ryw Jul 25, 2019 10:05 pm

Very sad news to hear. While I usually would walk to this property from the airport (through the garage and train station) I’ve taken the shuttle before when I’ve had large bags. Good reminder to wear seatbelts on hotel shuttles (Though I’ve also had the experience of being on a standing room only shuttle at a different city airport Marriot property. Perhaps I’d give it a second thought if that happened again).

OregonMan Jul 25, 2019 10:18 pm

Very sad. I sometimes worry about this sort of thing when taking the crowded rental car shuttle buses at DEN.

dayone Jul 25, 2019 10:31 pm

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I think the trip to/from one's home airport might be more dangerous than riding an airport shuttle.

OregonMan Jul 26, 2019 1:00 am

Originally Posted by dayone (Post 31343711)
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

I think the trip to/from one's home airport might be more dangerous than riding an airport shuttle.

Thanks, and generally agree. To be fair though, some of those National bus drivers are kinda scary :)