Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Question about Convention Rates

Search this Thread

Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:13 pm
Original Poster

Question about Convention Rates

So I am staying at the Westin Boston Waterfront for a convention next month. I booked a while ago, but just found out there is a convention price for the hotel. The problem is the only way to get it is to book through a website called Passkey. I really need the nights to count for elite status, and I want to use some suite nights so I dont really wanna go through a third party. Is there any way to get the rate direct from Marriott without going through Passkey?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Lifetime SkyClub, AS MVP
Originally Posted by swstalker
The problem is the only way to get it is to book through a website called Passkey.
I've not had a problem with elite nights crediting for hotel reservations made through Passkey. Or points, for that matter.

I have two future stays showing currently (the Passkey reservation process usually asks for a Marriott Bonvoy number.)

I know it's possible for meeting organizers to exclude nights and/or points for their meetings, but I've never had that restriction applied to my national organization meetings.

The only hotel that doesn't show for me is the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas. I just email them my Bonvoy number after the reservation in their system is confirmed.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:44 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgreen12
I've not had a problem with elite nights crediting for hotel reservations made through Passkey. Or points, for that matter.

I have two future stays showing currently (the Passkey reservation process usually asks for a Marriott Bonvoy number.)

I know it's possible for meeting organizers to exclude nights and/or points for their meetings, but I've never had that restriction applied to my national organization meetings.

The only hotel that doesn't show for me is the Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas. I just email them my Bonvoy number after the reservation in their system is confirmed.
Do you know if you were able to use things like suite nights? Are you still eligible for the other status benefits booking this way?
Old Jul 22, 2019, 12:46 pm

Originally Posted by swstalker
Do you know if you were able to use things like suite nights? Are you still eligible for the other status benefits booking this way?
For my meetings that are booked through Passkey that ask for my Bonvoy number, I can request SNAs and get full status benefits.

For my Cosmopolitan of Las Vegas Passkey-made reservation, I'm still entitled to benefits (such as they are at that property,) but I can't request SNAs as for some reason the Cosmo isn't asking for my Bonvoy number as part of the reservation process (presumably because they also offer Identity program benefits.)

Last edited by dgreen12; Jul 22, 2019 at 12:53 pm
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've had a few of those kinds of stays. Never an issue with my basic elite benefits like lounge access etc.

I've never attempted to apply SNAs but don't see why I wouldn't be able to.
I've noticed that sometimes the points posting is a little slow on these stays.
I almost never get upgrades on these, presuming because the conference organizers are either given the upgrades or vendors are actually booking them and paying for them. (I've gone to product demos in hotel suites many times.) I just assume that as a general attendee, at most being a medium-to-low sponsor of the event, I'm not getting a suite.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 1:53 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It should not be an issue, but it is easy enough to call and confirm. It is possible for the organization to negotiate away those benefits and some do. But, most meeting organizers realize that it does nothing for them to get others a cheaper room and it simply encourages attendees to book outside the room block.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Just an update. I check in tomorrow. Tried to my suite nights but they didnt come up, even though I can see the better rooms available to book at this very moment. When I look at the reservation under the app I see ineligible for suite nights on it. Guess you cant use them with convention rates
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:31 pm

Try looking at your reservation online not through the app (i.e., on a desktop computer or a mobile device looking at the full-blown website.)

I see different options for SNAs on the full-blown website than I can see using the app.
Old Aug 14, 2019, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dgreen12
Try looking at your reservation online not through the app (i.e., on a desktop computer or a mobile device looking at the full-blown website.)

I see different options for SNAs on the full-blown website than I can see using the app.

Ive got a ton of options but they get denied when I submit. I guess the con rate isnt eligible

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.