Marriott Pet Fee Explosion

Old May 15, 19, 7:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/2.5MM, Global Entry, GL_Marriott, GHertz
Marriott Pet Fee Explosion

It has been one year since I have been on the open road with my 13 lb Lhasa Apso. Every Marriott property we used last year - which may have all been RI - charged us $100 for the entire stay whether one night or multiple nights.

The Greenville RI which is a new and nice property where I am checking out charged me $150 base fee + $20 each night. How does that play into the claim that we are charged a one-time cleaning fee?

Is this common fare now or is this property specific? I searched but could not find such a thread, but is there a thread that lists pet fees for Marriott properties in the USA?
Old May 15, 19, 8:27 am

Programs: AA LTPlat; UA Plat; MR LTT; HH Diamond
We have always found Marriott properties to have higher pet fees than most of the alternatives. It wouldn't surprise me if it's getting even worse company-wide. We were told several months ago at the Residence Inn in Colorado Springs that, due to a problem one hotel had with one pet in one room, all of the Marriott hotels in the Springs had "gotten together" and agreed to raise their pet fee. Off the top of my head, it went from $75 per stay to $150 per stay. My last stay at a Marriott in the Springs. Quite happy with other options.
Old May 15, 19, 8:45 am
Original Poster

With this escalation in fees, I wish there were tiers for the size of the pets and the number of pets. My Lhasa is 13-14 lbs.

I remember seeing a post here about a man who had 5 dogs, and perhaps they were large dogs. His Marriott initially charged $500 until he complained his way out of it if I my memory is correct.
fishingcarlos likes this.
Old May 15, 19, 8:57 am

Programs: AC, Marriott
Originally Posted by Xeno View Post
With this escalation in fees, I wish there were tiers for the size of the pets and the number of pets. My Lhasa is 13-14 lbs.

I remember seeing a post here about a man who had 5 dogs, and perhaps they were large dogs. His Marriott initially charged $500 until he complained his way out of it if I my memory is correct.
Why would the size of the pet matter? Some small dogs shed more than some big dogs and the risk/effort of cleaning pee out of a carpet doesn't change depending on size of the dog.
Old May 15, 19, 9:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by CleverJesse View Post
Why would the size of the pet matter? Some small dogs shed more than some big dogs and the risk/effort of cleaning pee out of a carpet doesn't change depending on size of the dog.
Although any breed can be aggressive, my encounters with other dogs is that many of the larger dogs are more aggressive. I would think this means they are more likely to cause damage in the room and havoc around the hotel. In general, smaller dogs are used to being indoors and often know how to respect furniture and carpet.

During one of the early morning walks here, I was getting on the elevator when I saw a man going out the back door with two large dogs not on leases. I cannot imagine how that would have played out had we met at the elevator door.

I also remember some non-Marriott properties that charged according to the weight of the dog.
Old May 15, 19, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
It might be that there's officially a size limit (usually in terms of weight) for dogs, but the property may at its discretion approve a larger animal for a higher fee.
Old May 15, 19, 9:49 am

Programs: AC, Marriott
Although any breed can be aggressive, my encounters with other dogs is that many of the larger dogs are more aggressive. I would think this means they are more likely to cause damage in the room and havoc around the hotel. In general, smaller dogs are used to being indoors and often know how to respect furniture and carpet.
Any dog can have separation anxiety and any dog can pee on the floor. I had no luck leaving a puggle in a hotel room as he freaked out and barked non-stop as soon as we stepped out the door, my husky on the other hand is happy to sleep away the time. Compare a black lab to a chihuahua, which one will bark/yap incessantly and gives off the "I will kill you" vibe? Generally the bigger the dog the less active it gets as it has to expend significantly more energy than a little ball of fury.

As far as I know pet fees are to cover cleaning and potential for destruction. Any dog that acts aggressive in the common areas should not be allowed in the hotel or should be muzzled.
Bigshaker, strickerj and glennhaak like this.
Old May 15, 19, 10:17 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium Elite
Is this common fare now or is this property specific? I searched but could not find such a thread, but is there a thread that lists pet fees for Marriott properties in the USA?
My understanding it that pet policies and pet fees are property-specific, not driven centrally by Marriott International.

If fees are going up, it either means that properties are seeking to recover actual higher costs or that properties see this as an opportunity to increase revenue and profit — probably the latter more than the former, but maybe both.

Hotels are businesses that seek to maximize profits. As with room rates, hotels will charge what the market will bear. Many hotel properties do not allow pets at all.
Old May 15, 19, 10:44 am

Programs: Marriott Plat Premier; AA EXP 2MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
Could also be that hotels realize that allowing dogs on premises impacts other guests, who may need to relocate within the hotel, not stay, or leave early.
Old May 15, 19, 11:14 am

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Property specific. I've got friends w/ dogs who stay at RIs & they're charged a one time per stay, not per night, $75 pet fee.

Cheers.
Old May 15, 19, 11:17 am
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
We have a 115 lb Rhodesian Ridgeback that we travel with within California (and once to Arizona/Utah) quite frequently. We always make sure that we either have permission or can get permission for such a large dog. Because of my Ambassador status and perhaps also because of the long history of our dog’s travels with no issues whatsoever, we have been allowed to stay at many hotels that otherwise have limits on pet weights, too.

Pet fees have always been a factor for those traveling with pets. It does seem that they’ve been a bit higher, but that seems just as true outside of Marriott as it is within the Marriott portfolio.

Many hotels only place pets in certain rooms or certain wings or sections of the hotels. That’s not unusual. Other hotels allow pets in restricted areas. Some hotels don’t allow pets in almost any public spaces. It varies wildly by property.

As for size, I think it would be obvious that any size dog can bite, any size dog can pee, any size dog can bark and create a disturbance. IME smaller dogs bark far more than larger dogs—that’s their defense mechanism due to their smaller size, after all. Fortunately, Rhodesians rarely bark at all unless playing or getting surprised (knock on the door). Size is more an issue when a bigger dog can seem threatening or make another guest uncomfortable (but even a small dog can sometimes make some people uncomfortable, as everyone likely knows). In our case, we are very careful to never enter a space or elevator without first checking with the occupants or persons there that they are OK with bringing our dog.

We’ve never had any issue ever with our dog. But another large dog at the StR San Francisco reacted poorly to seeing our dog and created quite a scene before the owner apologized and departed as quickly as possible. Everyone felt the whole episode was handled very well, thankfully.

Last edited by bhrubin; May 15, 19 at 11:29 am
Old May 15, 19, 11:29 am
Moderator, Marriott Bonvoy & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat/2MM; Marriott LTPP; IHG Plat; Hilton Gold; Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Horace View Post
My understanding it that pet policies and pet fees are property-specific, not driven centrally by Marriott International.
I do believe that RI's have a brand policy for allowing pets, but what and how each RI may or may not charge is probably up to that hotel to decide.
Old May 15, 19, 1:08 pm
Original Poster

I checked into another RI still in SC and am being charged $100 pet fee for multiple nights.

Our little one only travels when my wife and I are together and he is never left in the room by himself.

Our first rescue was and experiment and we would stay in say the Choice brands that accepted pets. The rooms were full of urine smell and there was a charge each night based on weight.

Thanks for all the responses as such feedback is appreciated.
Old May 15, 19, 1:14 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Service dogs would be exempt from the fees in the USA, but what about ESAs? And are ESAs required to be restrained (on a leash, held securely, or in a carrier) in the public areas of a hotel? [I assume that this is the rule for pets.]
Old May 15, 19, 1:18 pm
Aman Contributor BadgeMarriott 25+ Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
Service dogs would be exempt from the fees in the USA, but what about ESAs? And are ESAs required to be restrained (on a leash, held securely, or in a carrier) in the public areas of a hotel? [I assume that this is the rule for pets.]
So far as I know, all rules apply to any pets that are not service dogs/animals. As should be the case, I think we all can agree.
kennycrudup likes this.

Search this Thread