Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Courtyard or Moxy at Vienna airport - early checkin - ?9 am

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2019, 4:32 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum

I am considering going to Vienna for transit this Sept. I would leave the next morning.

One flight would have me arrive at the airport around 8:40 am from Canada.

I may or may not a check bag.

I do have Platinum Elite status.

So I wanted to check in early - maybe 9 am to 10 am, could I get my request accomodated?
Old May 8, 2019, 5:32 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
I am a little confused by your post. How does not checking a bag impact the hotel choice? Where do you want to stay? Moxy is at the airport...Courtyard is near the Messe so a totally different area. Early check-in will not be guaranteed at either hotel as a Platinum so checking in early is a game of luck at either hotel depending on the previous nights occupancy. (only way to guarantee a room being available at that time is to book the previous night and inform the hotel of your arrival time)

IMHO neither hotel is a good option if you want to see the city but you are not clear if you want to transit to sleep or sightsee. If it were me and I was picking between only those two hotels.... I would likely pick the Moxy and take the non-stop train into the city for the day. Neither hotel is going to get you much in elite benefits.
Old May 8, 2019, 6:44 am

Agree with the previous poster. I've stayed at that Moxy and it is fine, I guess, for an airport hotel. A full-service property is more likely to afford you benefits, potentially including early check-in. Or at least they'll have a bell desk where you can drop your bags. Given a full day, if I'm understand correctly, I'd be inclined to stay downtown.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by arlflyer
Agree with the previous poster. I've stayed at that Moxy and it is fine, I guess, for an airport hotel. A full-service property is more likely to afford you benefits, potentially including early check-in. Or at least they'll have a bell desk where you can drop your bags. Given a full day, if I'm understand correctly, I'd be inclined to stay downtown.
Currently, I am booked to arrive at the airport at 5 pm, and the next day I will leave for BCN (I have not booked the latter day flight - but departure options are from 8 am to 11 am).
I posed this thread, because I still have the option of changing the incoming flight from Canada for a 8:40 am arrival.

I have come to Vienna for business and pleasure several times in the past - I have to my satisfaction seen the city fair thoroughly.

So this stop is a pure transit stop - I need not take transportation to the city, nor need I want to pay more for an downtown hotel, which will not be any practical use to me (compared to an airport hotel).

I want a relatively economical priced airport hotel - within easy walking or complimentary shuttle distance to the airport.

I thought these 2 hotels are considered airport hotels- I am not aware of any other Marriott family of hotels considered to be airport hotels.

Nor am I limited to Marriott family of hotels, so if you know of other acceptable quality and priced non-Marriott airport hotels, I would appreciate you giving me the names of those other hotels.
Old May 8, 2019, 11:52 am

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
Currently, I am booked to arrive at the airport at 5 pm, and the next day I will leave for BCN (I have not booked the latter day flight - but departure options are from 8 am to 11 am).
I posed this thread, because I still have the option of changing the incoming flight from Canada for a 8:40 am arrival.

I have come to Vienna for business and pleasure several times in the past - I have to my satisfaction seen the city fair thoroughly.
So I guess I don't understand your question then. If you can get in at 5 PM, go to sleep in an airport hotel (of which these are examples), then wake up and get on your flight the next morning, then that would be the logical thing to do. Why would you get in at 8:40 AM if you don't care to do anything with the time?

The being said, similarly, you note an 11 AM option for your next day flight...does that not exist on the day when you would consider getting in at 8:40 AM? 2:20 would strike me as a comfortable connecting time in Vienna, unless they are out-of-alliance carriers and you are very risk averse.
Old May 8, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: BA SIL, WN A, UA SIL, Marriott TIT (LT), Hilton DIA
I have learned to book a hotel for the night prior if I want to guarantee a room when I arrive that early.

How much is it worth it to you?
Old May 8, 2019, 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by nachosdelux
I have learned to book a hotel for the night prior if I want to guarantee a room when I arrive that early.

Careful, floating blasphemous ideas like “if you want it, pay for it” will get you in trouble around these parts!

(That being said, I wouldn’t try your idea at the St. Regis Aspen! )
Old May 8, 2019, 5:43 pm
Original Poster

I have decided to arrive at VIE at 5 pm.

I will definitely be staying at an airport hotel.

So which Marriott or non-Marriott family of hotels do you recommend?- which are acceptable quality and relatively economical (at least compared to a downtown hotel).
Old May 8, 2019, 8:24 pm

The most convenient hotel for VIE airport is the NH
Old May 8, 2019, 8:53 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by puchong
The most convenient hotel for VIE airport is the NH
Depends by what you mean by convenient, if you mean closest hotel then youd be correct. But the Moxy (Marriott) is from what I understand just a couple of mins walk further, so a person could earn Stay-Night credits and pts or use pts 17,500 depending what the rate is

If all a person wants is a bed and hot shower then from what I understand The Moxy works, I was gonna stay there myself but instead flew via ZRH at a cheaper fare
Old May 9, 2019, 12:49 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by nachosdelux

You generally have to call ahead and convince the front desk to get around Marriott’s automatic cancelling of your room on so-show though. It’s got me a couple of times since the merger which the front desk has always recovered, but i’ve seen others not so lucky.
Old May 9, 2019, 6:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy LTTE, HH Dia, HY Expl
Originally Posted by craz
Depends by what you mean by convenient, if you mean closest hotel then youd be correct. But the Moxy (Marriott) is from what I understand just a couple of mins walk further, so a person could earn Stay-Night credits and pts or use pts 17,500 depending what the rate is

If all a person wants is a bed and hot shower then from what I understand The Moxy works, I was gonna stay there myself but instead flew via ZRH at a cheaper fare
+1! As a Marriott elite it would not be logical to book the NH over the Moxy unless the rates were significantly cheaper (which they typically are not). The Moxy is just a short walk further from the airport via an underground tunnel than the NH. Rooms at the NH can vary drastically as they still have some that have not been renovated in a while. There is a Moxy VIE thread that discusses the hotel and what to expect.

Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I have decided to arrive at VIE at 5 pm.

I will definitely be staying at an airport hotel.

So which Marriott or non-Marriott family of hotels do you recommend?- which are acceptable quality and relatively economical (at least compared to a downtown hotel).
Then to me the Moxy and the NH are your only real alternatives. The CY is NOT an airport hotel unless you consider a distance of around 19km to be near the airport. So Moxy if you want to stay at the airport and consider it a better option than the NH based on my comments and those of others above.

Last edited by christianj; May 9, 2019 at 6:34 am
Old May 9, 2019, 10:47 am

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold
I have stayed at the Moxy. It was just OK. Nothing special -- arrived around 11am and did not have an issue getting to my room right away.
Food is limited, but you can easily walk to the terminal with much better restaurants.
If you want to go into the city try the Courtyard Shoenbrunn or the Renaissance Wien, which both have decent rates

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.