Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So I just got bonvoyed.... AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I always ask for a print of my final statement now. And I hate dragging paper around. But Marriott's systems are not reliable.

I also make sure to review the bill before checking out. It's wrong (always in the hotel's favor) about 90% of the time.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 2:07 pm

Programs: BA Bronze, Emirates Silver, Virgin Silver, Marriott Titanium
I didn't get my email within a couple of hours of a recent stay, so I used the chat facility on the app to request it and within minutes of them acknowledging my message, the email was (re)sent.

I know last year when I was in NYC I didn't get the email after checking out of the Marriott Marquis, so I used Facebook to message them and I was able to get it that way.

Previously I have called a hotel up too, to prompt them if the email hasn't arrived.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA EP, UA Gold-MM, UA 1K (former), GS (former),SPG LT Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete

Marriott Group apparently don't have access to folios, but as hotels are inevitably easier to contact than getting through to someone at Marriott customer service, maybe it's for the best.
I think the OP tried that route first but they never called him back or sent it as per his 2 voice mails.

No problem, call the hotel? 2 messages left for accounting, no calls back. Hmm, email the hotel? No information available as to what that address might be, cannot get an answer from anyone who knows anything at the hotel
I would suggest to the OP that in this case if the hotel has no customer service I would either escalate/talk to a manager at the property or vote with your wallet and stay elsewhere in the future since they aren't being responsive.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 3:59 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Originally Posted by neo_781
I think the OP tried that route first but they never called him back or sent it as per his 2 voice mails.
Yes, but it would still be easier to just keep trying rather than to call Marriott which I can pretty much guarantee won't work.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 4:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire
Don't they give you one at checkout? I am usually handed a paper copy as well as emailed one.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:37 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
At least for US stays the folio sometimes is available online - for non-US stays they didn't even design the functionality.
Mine works surprisingly well for something that isn't designed to be functional

Marriott in Madrid
Sheraton in FRA
AC in Mexico
JW Marriott and Westin in SIN

Able to download the folios online for all of them
Antarius likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:39 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
Odd! I’ve stayed 57 nights so far this year of which 5 were in the US - they’re the only ones with folios.
nequine likes this.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 7:55 pm

I used to be able to download folios. Haven't been able to download any of them for about the past month, even from stays which I was able to download them in the past.

I guess I'll have to FAX Marriott corporate and hope they'll FAX one back. Seriously, it's 2019. I've bought custom-built cars via SMS & e-mail, but Marriott's still in the stone ages.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 9:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Always ask for printouts or visual confirmation of billed amount before leaving hotel...
period.
Old Jun 19, 2019, 11:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by DeepUnderground
Don't they give you one at checkout? I am usually handed a paper copy as well as emailed one.
At many Marriott properties, the FDA will now say "email your folio?" to discourage you from asking for a print. I'm pretty sure they're trained to do that. Don't fall for it, insist on seeing a print.
CO-PLAT and DeepUnderground like this.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 12:31 am

Programs: Marriott Titanium; WN A-list; UA Silver
Yeah, the website is really bad for downloading bills, even for US properties. It is only about 50/50.
In the rare case that I did not ask for a physical bill -- generally due to running late to the next thing -- I've found that calling the hotel front desk and talking about how bad Marriott's IT is will generally get a laugh and an emailed bill ASAP.
You do not need to speak to accounting, I've always been able to get this from any quasi-manger. Decline to leave a voicemail and just politely ask to speak to a manager. Do this in the late morning, early PM after the checkouts and before the check in rush.
Old Jun 20, 2019, 7:06 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee

I also make sure to review the bill before checking out. It's wrong (always in the hotel's favor) about 90% of the time.
Curious as to what you're seeing that's incorrect. I usually don't look at mine until I go to expense them, but don't look that closely if the total seems to be in the ballpark of what I expected. I would like to know what to start looking for.

Separately, for an occasional issue, I believe in giving the hotel the opportunity to correct it. If you're finding that you're overcharged 90% of the time, across properties, that seems to me like systemic fraud (or whatever the correct legal term is if not fraud). Maybe you're saving the incorrect folios along with the correct ones in case you decide to, ahem, "bring this to Marriott's attention"?
Old Jun 20, 2019, 10:58 am
Suspended
Marriott 25+ BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Programs: Marriott Ambassador and LTT, UA Plat/LT Gold, AA Gold
So a thread starts with our OP sharing positive experiences with Bonvoy. And continues with people who must bash Bonvoy at all costs. Let them eat cake, I say!

So for all the legacy SPGers who want to pretend that all was better with SPG, I’m laughing. There were IT fiascos with SPG. SPG has folios that never were emailed. SPG didn’t allow one to download folios from one’s central online account. SPG didn’t treat Plat75 or Plat100 as a separate tier of status. SPG didn’t have enough properties in as many locations as one might prefer or require. I was a Plat100 Ambassador elite for years before the merger, so I find it hilarious how people so quickly ignore or forget the problems that SPG did have. Not to mention that it got sold and got bought by Marriott whether people like it or not.

For all the changes, whether legacy SPGers will admit it or not, Marriott Bonvoy largely mimics what we had with SPG and improves upon it—all while offering so many more property options than we ever had before.

Yes, there still are IT issues...but those are relatively minor and aren’t much different from the same IT issues we experienced and complained about with SPG. Bonvoy formalized Titanium and Ambassador as actual status levels, and the recognition for those has been as good if not substantially better with Bonvoy than it ever was with SPG. For Ambassador elites, it isn’t even close: Bonvoy has been the best thing ever for increased recognition across the board and for much better and more consistently elevated treatment, especially at the better premium and luxury brands that tend to offer better service anyway.

For my 2018-2019 years as a Bonvoy Ambassador elite, my suite upgrade success is unparalleled, and those include many suite upgrades at legacy Marriott and especially legacy Ritz-Carlton properties. Those pretending that legacy Marriott properties don’t upgrade as much as legacy SPG properties seem to ignore the basic and obvious fact that most legacy Marriott properties don’t have a significant number of suites compared with their legacy SPG peers. It isn’t a brand that impacts suite upgrade chances on the whole as much as a lower proportion of suites in the first place. It’s basic math.

My upgrades have been perfect, and my suite upgrades have been nearly perfect.

Prince Gallery Tokyo Kioicho—upgraded to Kioi Suite on BRG from entry level
Suiran Kyoto—pre-upgraded to Premium Room (5th best room in hotel) on award entry level stay, paid more to upgrade to Presidential Suite
Ritz-Carlton Kyoto—upgraded to Kamogawa Suite (3rd best suite in hotel) on award entry level stay
St Regis Osaka—upgraded to Skyline Grand Deluxe Room on award entry level stay, hotel sold out
SLS Beverly Hills—pre-upgraded to SLS Suite, hotel sold out, upgraded to one bedroom suite on other stays
St Regis Florence—upgraded to Arno Junior Suite on award entry level stay, hotel sold out
La Bandita Townhouse Pienza—allowed discount for upgrade to junior suite
Atlantis by Giardino Zurich—upgraded to suite even at Design hotel (service recovery)
St Regis Bal Harbour—upgraded to Royal Suite on award stay from entry level, hotel sold out
The Gwen Chicago—upgraded to Junior Suite on entry level room
Ritz-Carlton Dallas—booked suite, got upgraded Luxury Suite
JW Austin—pre-upgraded to Presidential Suite from entry level room
St Regis Houston—pre-upgraded to St Regis Suite on entry level room
Ritz-Carlton Coconut Grove—pre-upgraded to Oceanview Suite (2nd best in hotel), hotel almost sold out
St Regis Bahia Beach—upgraded to St Regis Suite on award entry level stay
Ritz-Carlton Washington—upgraded to premium room category from entry level, hotel sold out
Ritz-Carlton Georgetown—Executive Suite upgrade once, Ritz-Carlton Suite upgrade once, all from entry level, hotel sold out
Le Meridien Arlington—Executive Suite upgrade on every stay from entry level
Sheraton Phila Univ City—suite upgrade on every stay from entry level
Le Meridien Phila—suite upgrade on every stay from entry level
Four Points NYC Midtown Times Square—Penthouse Suite upgrade on every stay from entry level
Courtyard NYC Times Square—nada
Sheraton NYC Times Square—nada
Courtyard New Haven at Yale—suite upgrade on every stay from entry level
Sheraton Hartford South—suite upgrade on every stay from entry level
Renaissance Providence—suite upgrade on every stay from entry level
Le Meridien Cambridge—suite upgrade on every stay, including Ware specialty suite, all from entry level
Ritz-Carlton Boston—Executive Suite upgrade on every stay, one Luxury Suite upgrade, all from entry level, hotel sold out
Ritz-Carlton Chicago—upgraded to Lakeview Suite from entry level room
Ritz-Carlton Bacara Santa Barbara—upgraded to Oceanfront Suite from entry level award room, hotel sold out
Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay—upgraded to Oceanfront GuestHouse Suite from entry level award room
St Regis San Francisco—Metropolitan specialty suite upgrade on every stay from entry level
Phoenician Residences—upgraded to 3 bedroom Residence with private pool from entry level 2 bedroom

Looks like a combo of both legacy Marriott/Ritz-Carlton properties and legacy SPG properties to me!

Looks like a great upgrade rate to me!

I can get some folios online, I can’t get others, but somehow I can always the hotel and get a folio!

There are some posted point errors, but I can get those fixed pretty quickly!

Looks like for this Ambassador, Bonvoy has been pretty great to me...and even better than SPG, considering I’m more often pre-upgraded to suites by hotels that now know I am Ambassador status without needing my Ambassador to actually tell them and considering I have Ritz-Carlton and new Marriott brand options available that I didn’t before.

Twickenham and markko like this.

Last edited by bhrubin; Jun 20, 2019 at 11:07 am
Old Jun 20, 2019, 2:41 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
At many Marriott properties, the FDA will now say "email your folio?" to discourage you from asking for a print. I'm pretty sure they're trained to do that. Don't fall for it, insist on seeing a print.
Yes, it's part of their "environmentally friendly" script. I always ask for a paper copy, not only to verify that all charges were correct, but to have as a backup in case the stay doesn't get properly credited.
Old Jun 21, 2019, 7:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by flyme2
Yes, it's part of their "environmentally friendly" script. I always ask for a paper copy, not only to verify that all charges were correct, but to have as a backup in case the stay doesn't get properly credited.
from last August onwards, I was doing this, but recently I have been consistently getting an email folio the morning of departure. If I get one of these, I'm usually good; any extra charges, I just ask them to send me another copy and it typically arrives moments after they do so at the front desk.

So, little by little, cutting down on getting it for every stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.