Community
Wiki Posts
Search

So I just got bonvoyed.... AGAIN!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2019, 12:55 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by kaizen7

Like I mentioned before .... some of these elite benefits comes with "if available" tag
As it should. One can't get something that doesn't exist. Which is why some people who want a suite choose to pay for a suite, and then other people can't get a free upgrade.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scarcity
DJ_Iceman likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 2:56 pm

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by kaizen7
Upgrade ... Platinum Elite Members and above receive a complimentary upgrade to the best available room subject to availability for the entire length of stay at the time of check-in ... and sometimes must be asked then an uppgrade magically appears.
Quite normal to have elites pissed off by these
This is exactly what some of us have experienced. When I checked in yesterday, I was told I was upgraded to Water View room (not on Executive Level), but there were Executive Level rooms (top 2 floors) and Junior Suites available. I asked about Suite availability (while checking Marriott App at the same time, 7PM). and was told none was available. What should I believe?
kaizen7 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:12 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Yes suite upgrades will be restricted to the number of suites available in the hotel.
But then again some hotel dont even bother to upgrade elites to room category above the one reserved.
I believe Marriott as corporate needs to enforce their own terms and conditions if there are hotels who deliberately ignoring this.

About SNA, I wonder how Marriott corp reimburse hotel who accept SNA ... does Marriott paid the rate difference between the room and selected suite?

And about your24, why it have to be when available as well? Unless the hotel is 100% booked and no space left, I still think this your 24 should be confirmed on request.
Afterall its only topmost tier member could have it and then not all of them use it. (I never use it)
Make exception ... your 24 will be confirmed on request on the category booked ... it will help the hotel execute the request.

Seriously .... while I dont think Marriott is at fault for every problem arise with their loyalty program, Marriott need to be proactive in addressing members issues.

Make sure each property adhere to t&c as strict as they were enforced to the members .... afterall the qualifications needed for each tier is fixed and dont have "if available" tags on it.
Would be interesting if a members demanding ambassador tier when his spending is below 20k and claim the 20k is not available this year
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
(FWIW, Upgrades have never been my bone to pick with Marriott. I've been around long enough to know it's never been an upgrade-centric program going back 20+ years, mainly because so many Marriott hotels have few if any true suites. But they do still advertise upgrades and are no doubt important to many guests.)
This! I don't really care about room upgrades all that much unless I am traveling with my family. I stay at, what Marriott now calls, "Upper Upscale" properties 9 times out of 10. The room I book is the room I expect and I never ask for an upgrade. That said, the benefit I get from the travel is that I can take advantage of the benefits in the loyalty program brochure. If those benefits are no longer available, then the loyalty program is worth less to me and I will adjust my spend accordingly.

In the past few weeks of searching for vacations, I have determined that the value of a Bonvoy point is probably down about 25%. As I am evaluating the million points in my account, that means my current holdings have lost value and it means that future earnings are significantly less than I anticipated they would be. So, I adjust. My wife will cancel her Bonvoy Premier Card and I will hold on to mine only for the 15 nights it gives me every year. I'll likely never put another dollar on the card except to keep it active every year. The promise of the Bonvoy program has been hollowed out and it's likely not coming back.
UA-NYC likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 1:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got upgraded to tower oceanfront with lounge access from the cheapest “weekend sale” booking/no view room at the Royal Hawaiian last week. Now at the Mauna Kea on a points stay and likewise upgraded to beachfront tower from the golf view room I’d booked. Both hotels have awesome breakfasts which they offer to Bonvoy platinum and above (i’m titanium this year) as an option at check in.

I couldn’t care less about getting an upgrade at JW Shanghai, Capital Renaissance Beijing or Sheraton Singapore when I’m on biz travel. As long as I get lounge access and a room I’m happy. It’s these holiday trips that matter to me, there is a huge difference between golf view and ocean view IMHO. So far Marriott is doing great by me as far as that goes!
andrewstahl likes this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 2:19 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by friscotrvlr
In the past few weeks of searching for vacations, I have determined that the value of a Bonvoy point is probably down about 25%. As I am evaluating the million points in my account, that means my current holdings have lost value and it means that future earnings are significantly less than I anticipated they would be. So, I adjust. My wife will cancel her Bonvoy Premier Card and I will hold on to mine only for the 15 nights it gives me every year. I'll likely never put another dollar on the card except to keep it active every year. The promise of the Bonvoy program has been hollowed out and it's likely not coming back.
This is the sort of letter that people should send Marriott's leadership. I've seen the email addresses posted before.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 5:35 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
I don’t understand the fascination with getting a hotel room upgrade for business travel. The vast majority of my 130 nights per year in a Marriott are business related. I want a clean quiet dark safe room. A chain hotel usually can deliver my requirements for business travel.

I do use Bonvoy points for some personal travel. These point stays are usually around visiting family. Again, a chain hotel usually is acceptable for these trips. I look at my Bonvoy points as a way to avoid paying for a stay. I understand that many people might think that I am not maximizing my point redemptions. I earn enough points through company paid stays that I prefer to avoid spending money versus a less attractive stay that offers a better redemption value.

There are several Marriott properties that I want to stay at. I try to use points for these stays. However, a lot of my personal travel is to locations that I don’t want to stay in a bland chain hotel. I try to maximize my personal travel experience and it rarely involves a Marriott.

I ask my Ambassador to ask for an upgrade and special treatment for my personal travel. I receive good service from my Ambassador on both business and personal travel.

Old Apr 27, 2019, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: Marriott Ambassador
Originally Posted by andrewstahl
I don’t understand the fascination with getting a hotel room upgrade for business travel.
Do you feel the same way about getting an upgrade into first-class from economy?
UA-NYC and KRSW like this.
Old Apr 27, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by itravelalot
Do you feel the same way about getting an upgrade into first-class from economy?
The vast majority of my flights are short. I appreciate the upgrades but don’t get pissed off if I don’t get upgraded.

Maybe Marriott should set upgrade priority by spend just like Airlines? Each hotel has a small amount of rooms for upgrades and Marriott sends over an upgrade list based on spend? It is easier to do this for flights compared to stats because stays can go longer than one night.

If people really want an upgrade, pay for it.
Old May 1, 2019, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA, QF, Marriott (Titanium)
Bonvoyed - and still hurting ...

I am a Lifetime Titanium Member in the program.

Recently redeemed for a 5 night stay at the Sheraton Mirage Resort on the Gold Coast in Australia.

After 3 nights, I was moved to a different room - and in order to do this, the hotel created a dummy reservation ...
... this is where it started - the hotel deducted another 105K points in addition to the 140K which were originally deducted!

It has been 15 days since I left the property, have spoken to the Hotel, and the call center ...

No one knows- when and how I will get my points back!

Any suggestion for help is well appreciated?
Old May 1, 2019, 6:48 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Did they force the move, or was it your request? I'd get Lurker involved-if they are still helping out.
Old May 1, 2019, 9:06 pm

Programs: MR rewards
Twitter..search for Marriott Bonvoy assist
they reply fast and they well help you
Old May 2, 2019, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, IHG Plat, HH Gold, Trident Plat, DL Diamond, AI Maharajah
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
I'd get Lurker involved-if they are still helping out.
yes they are....they changed their handle but are very much still involved as they were in the spg days....
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:00 pm

Who knew?

How difficult it was to get a folio from a recent stay? This was easy on the Starwood site. On the Bonvoy website, the download link does not work. No problem, call the hotel? 2 messages left for accounting, no calls back. Hmm, email the hotel? No information available as to what that address might be, cannot get an answer from anyone who knows anything at the hotel. How about we call Marriott customer service? First, get a robot (never happened at Starwood). It's a mandatory robot, no representative until you answer the question. Finally get a rep, who plays 20 questions and tells me that the address on my profile is not the address on my profile. A few minutes of argument and we eventually agree that I am me, and, finally, I am told she cannot email me the folio but will ask the hotel to do so, and it will take 3-5 business days. Perhaps this is why the download link does not work? In any event, what would have once been a simple request that would have taken a couple of minutes, at most, turns into a 20 minute exercise in battering through a broken system. Sigh. They must have hired a VP from Comcast or AT&T to run customer service.

Last edited by carolinaflyr; Jun 20, 2019 at 7:12 am
Old Jun 19, 2019, 12:06 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
At least for US stays the folio sometimes is available online - for non-US stays they didn't even design the functionality.

Marriott Group apparently don't have access to folios, but as hotels are inevitably easier to contact than getting through to someone at Marriott customer service, maybe it's for the best.

I have spent literally hours and hours and hours chasing folios since the merger. It's been better for the last couple of months, but previously I would have to stand by the desk and check out manually and ask for a paper copy which I'd take photos of with my phone.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.