Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Marriott do anything for anniversary trips?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:35 pm
Original Poster

Just wondering if folks get anything when they travel with their SO for their anniversary trip?

Here's what just happened to me on my 6 day trip at 2 different Marriott hotels

I booked via Marriott representative on the phone. Represenative who booked it for me asked why the trip and upon finding out it was the anniversary said she was adding it to the notes.

I called again later to fix an issue for the booking (The reservation was on the wrong date, whoops) and the representative saw the notes and commented about it being an anniversary trip. So i know some notes were added to the reservations then.

When I check into the hotel, 0 acknowledgement. I got no mention at the front desk check in, nor did I get any card like I saw during my honeymoon stay. AFAIK the hotel itself didn't know it was my anniversary.

How does that compare to other folks on their trips?
Old Mar 27, 2019, 12:56 pm

Originally Posted by dantandaman
Just wondering if folks get anything when they travel with their SO for their anniversary trip?

Here's what just happened to me on my 6 day trip at 2 different Marriott hotels

I booked via Marriott representative on the phone. Represenative who booked it for me asked why the trip and upon finding out it was the anniversary said she was adding it to the notes.

I called again later to fix an issue for the booking (The reservation was on the wrong date, whoops) and the representative saw the notes and commented about it being an anniversary trip. So i know some notes were added to the reservations then.

When I check into the hotel, 0 acknowledgement. I got no mention at the front desk check in, nor did I get any card like I saw during my honeymoon stay. AFAIK the hotel itself didn't know it was my anniversary.

How does that compare to other folks on their trips?
It really depends on the hotel, and your status with Marriott could also be a factor. But the front desk agent might say "Happy Anniversary" to you.

The days of freebies like upgrades and gifts for people that don't travel very often that have a special occasion are gone for the most part. I wouldn't hold my breath for a free bottle of wine or an upgrade because of the anniversary or anything like that. Maybe it could happen, but don't bet on it. There is a much better chance of a gift or upgrade if you are Ambassador level.
Zeeb likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 1:58 pm

Programs: Nexus/GE, UA/MPG, Bonvoy Tit, LTP
We travel on our anniversary every year. I usually contact the hotel concierge to arrange for flowers in the room on arrival, indicating that this is to be at my expense and to be added to my bill. In Hawaii I have had responses such as " we don't do that but here's a local florist we recommend" but the Westin Moana had a bottle of bubbly in the room on arrival. On the three occasions we made the request in Asia, we have had flowers, wine, cakes and flower petals everywhere. On one occasion ( Westin Siray Bay Phuket) they wouldn't let me pay either.
I agree that it depends on the hotel and if I have any special requests I always reach out to them directly rather than anybody at SPG/ Bonvoy. Mind you I have never had an Ambassador so not sure if that would be different.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Definitely make arrangements and make it clear that you expect to pay. Be pleased if it is comped and still married if it isn't.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Jaunts
It really depends on the hotel, and your status with Marriott could also be a factor. But the front desk agent might say "Happy Anniversary" to you.
This has been my experience as well, definitely depends on the hotel. I don't believe I've ever had anything special noted on my reservation in advance however. It's typically at check in where I might be asked if it's a special occasion.

It actually strikes me as odd that a reservations agent would ask why the OP was taking a trip. My first thought is "none of your business", although I'd never say that and would certainly see it as an opportunity to note a special occasion with the hope of getting a freebie.

To be honest, I've probably been given as many free (not related to status or part of a package) bottles of wine by a flight attendant as I have at a hotel. I don't think it happens much any more.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pretty unrealistic expectation from bygone era. I understand these "anniversary", "birthday", whatever, "tricks" to get upgrade or some special treatments still are being thrown around on the internet, esp those non English sites. But it is just so much being history that these would score you something. Today's hotels hardly give out anything to infrequent guests, even the guest has the highest elite status in the program.

If you plan to celebrate an anniversary and make the stay somewhat special and memorable, as others said, contact the hotels directly to make arrangements, clearly indicated you would pay for it. Then if it is comped, so much the better. In general properties in Asia and Middle East are much more generous while elsewhere may throw in a small freebie or a verbal congratulation at check in, or none of these.

Frankly I have never had a reservation agent asked what the purpose of the trip / booking. Very odd a phone agent would make such a query.
LondonElite and on-a-stick like this.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Happy
Frankly I have never had a reservation agent asked what the purpose of the trip / booking. Very odd a phone agent would make such a query.
The only thing the FD or reservation agents ever ask me is if it is a business trip. Then they want the name of my employer.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC
I had an anniversary and took SO to JW Marriott Singapore (Caveat - i stay at this hotel for business)

I emailed the front desk manager and she said no problem - she would take care of it - never heard another word - this was 3 months before the trip
I never ASKED for anything specific, I just mentioned it to them and let them handle it, not expecting anything to be honest

Check-in - front desk clerk starts by saying Happy Anniv
Upgraded to a suite
welcome letter to my wife on the TV
Chocolate cake in the room
Exec lounge clerk also said Happy Anniv almost every day we were there
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:01 pm

(Funny coincidence you posted as I recently did this at a Marriot property for my anniversary and had a positive response...)

I have emailed the general manager in the past...
I simply explain we are traveling in part to celebrate a special occasion and given the positive reviews we've read, despite having top tier status at several other chains we specifically chose their property as an introduction or re-entry to their brand.
Then I state I would appreciate any type of upgrade or amenity if that's a possibility
I don't have an expectation of getting anything but if I do all the better.
I send it to the GM knowing he/she will not likely personally answer but I assume who ever he forwards it to will make an earnest effort since it came from the boss... More often than not I get a positive response and results

If it were my anniversary I would specifically request and lock in flowers or a reservation at a local restaurant to ensure it happens. Anything extra from the hotel is just a bonus.

Last edited by wordsew; Mar 27, 2019 at 4:19 pm
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
My Ambassador arranged something for birthdays and a couple of other events.

Without an Ambassador, no I never received, nor expected, anything.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:41 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by dantandaman
What were you expecting? why would anyone expect anything special on their 'anniversary trip'? If you want an upgrade book and pay for an upgrade or use your SNA's but don't expect anything special by mentioning the term 'anniversary'.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 4:57 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Alaska Mileage Plan, Marriott Bonvoy
I didn't ask for anything nor expect anything, but the Sheraton Nha Trang Beach hotel blew me away with their kindness. Prior to arrival the lounge concierge, Rachel, emailed me to welcome me to the hotel and asked if there was any special occasion for my stay. I mentioned I was there to relax, enjoy the beach and celebrate my birthday. I didn't think much else of it. On arrival and check in the lounge Rachel was working. She wished me a happy birthday and arranged for a room upgrade. The next day a flower arrangement was left in my room and that evening the lounge staff presented a cake to me and sang happy birthday. Incredible and genuine service!

IMHO, the particular hotel and the staff are the key, not the brand or the program.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 5:04 pm

Not anniversary, but at the costa rica marriott the on of the hotel chef's sent to the room a small cake, a selection of chocolate covered fruits, and a bottle of sparkling wine for my birthday.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I wouldn't hold my breath for a free bottle of wine or an upgrade because of the anniversary or anything like that. Maybe it could happen, but don't bet on it. There is a much better chance of a gift or upgrade if you are Ambassador level.
Even if they did give you wine it would probably be a $3 to $4 bottle of Andre sparkling wine.

Since August with ambassador status, I've received one bottle of wine from a property and it was a kind of wine that I don't drink.
Old Mar 27, 2019, 6:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
The only thing the FD or reservation agents ever ask me is if it is a business trip. Then they want the name of my employer.
Yep. An aggressive sales office has the front desk ask this question because they use it to target companies for corporate sales contracts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.