Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

What’s Marriott Customer Service team’s role?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What’s Marriott Customer Service team’s role?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 13, 2019, 3:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I think this is one of those situations where important context is missing. I completely understand if someone booked the suite. But if a suite is showing up online, as it often does, it's a less believable explanation. Lately, it seems like a memorandum has gone out because properties all use the same convenient excuse, "Marriott's inventory isn't accurate. Our suite [suites] are booked."

But regardless, even if the guest with titanium elite status booked the cheapest room I'm sure there is a standard room on a high floor or a corner room available that someone with lower or no elite status didn't specifically book. That's a common complaint on here when room managers or front office managers don't put elites who booked standard rooms in the better standard rooms over non-elites.

I'm not defending their complaint about the upgrade or lack thereof, but some people are conflict averse and may have felt cornered by the general manager.

It's like when someone greets you in passing and asks, "How are you?" They really don't want to know. It's a superficial answer. The same when front desks at checkout ask -- if they even ask -- right after giving you your folio, "How was your stay?"

In these circumstances, it may not be appropriate to raise issues. When I have an issue and it hasn't been resolved -- especially over the weekend, when managers are typically out-of-the-office until Monday -- I'll answer, "Actually, I had [an issue or a few issues] with my stay. Could you have your general manager or operations director contact me by telephone?"
From what I was told, at this festival all properties in town get booked up (100,000 people descend upon the town in 9 days) & it's very common for guests who don't even belong to the loyalty program to book the suites as a paid stay. Also, there were more Plat Premiers & Plats checking in than there were suites. Not every P/PP was going to get a suite even if they hadn't already been booked.by guests willing to pay for them. They did get the P/PP on desired levels & views; just no suites.

Re: cornered by the general manager. Not sure where you got this. The Plat who was miffed he didn't get an upgrade to the suite pro-actively entered the GM's office (GM was in his desk/office near the front desk; it was during the week), pro-actively shook GM's hand & told him what a great stay he had - and then gave a "1" on the survey afterwards. Property had recommended a nice restaurant w/ wine spectator awards when asked, made reservation for the Plat, and found out from the restaurant afterwards that the guy had been a jerk to their staff. Also, Ms Didn't Get a Suite or a Crib went into the GM's office to complain about lack there of & from what I was told, basically the entire lobby heard her complaining. I don't think either of them were conflict-adverse

There are times when MBCS totally drops the ball & I'll support FTers & tell them to hold CS or properties feet to the fire. But there are times when elites aren't that great & I'll back the properties. Most of us have been witness to some DYKWIAs & DYKWIA behavior at one time or another.

BTW - my friend told me that even at the hotel level, when they try to reach CS they're on hold a long time as well, so they definitely empathize w/ the rest of us complaining about long wait times!

Cheers.
Old Jan 17, 2022, 8:49 am

Programs: MVC Bonvoy
Long Term MVC and Bonvoy

I have to say that as a long term MVC and Bonvoy (Marriott loyalty before) member I have noticed a horrible decline in service over the last 3 years. My complaints aren't the usual flat pillows dirty room, as suggested those get handled directly with the hotel. My issues are things like showing up and reservation was canceled without telling me (it wasn't canceled and they still debited my points, if not for heroic efforts of desk clerk we wouldn't have had a room as property overbooked and I had to essentially double pay to get that). Customer Service was useless saying not their problem. Got back from 2 different trips only to get an additional charge to my credit card, one over $1,000. Again customer service useless in resolving and so much for getting a 0 bill at the end of the stay. The status perks are routinely ignored and if you ask why they just change the subject.

I certainly understand that hotels are often franchises; in fact likely the rule, but I never used to hear that as a excuse. Now when I can use my points, or can't get a room as promised, don't get the room I booked, get over charged after the fact; I'm just routinely told sorry, they are a franchise nothing we can do if they don't honor the Bonvoy website or benefits. When we were shut out of using points at an entire region I was told blackout dates. I tried to make various reservations for as far out as the reservation app would allow and nothing. For an entire region for an entire year points were not allowed. That isn't blackout dates, that is they just don't honor the Bonvoy points. I've tried to complain about that and can't even get customer service to acknowledge my complaint beyond the original; franchises nothing we can do. Just crickets. Then the 48 hour room guarantee is meaningless. I get that could be abused, but we have never done that only trying to get a room months out, and never at something like say Times Square New Years or a convention. Just a hotel somewhere in a region next spring. We have never once succeeded in having that request fulfilled and never once been able to get the compensation spelled out in the agreement. In fact, if you ask for that as a requirement, they just pretend you didn't say anything and move on to something else refusing to even acknowledge the request.

I do try and be cognizant of the recent pandemic and all the issues. I don't generally bring simple, "wow has no one cleaned this hallway and emptied the trash cans in weeks" complaints to anyone except the hotel directly. These are complaints as above and the new Bonvoy website is a disaster type complaints. It is the slowest website I have ever seen, perpetually crashes, perpetually changes what type reservation you are trying to make (no I don't want 7 adults per room), but yes I did want the 2 double beds, not the single king. I am an ~70 night a year person and if they didn't have us trapped in the MVC (which used to be great), we would have just gone elsewhere a while ago.

So what is this? I guess a rant, but also letting the SPG folks know that it wasn't always this way. The pandemic has of course had an effect, but I do my best to compartmentalize and excuse issues from that. For original Marriott folks, the SPG merger has been just as big a take away of services as it has been for the SPG folks. That and it really seems to me that as I have reached Titanium Elite status, Marriott's attitude towards us has changed markedly for the worse. As just a Gold it was how can we get more of your business? How can we keep you happy? To a straightforward, "We've got your money and have you tied to us by all the things you would lose if you leave and we don't have to care about you anymore."
EuropeanPete and nacho like this.
Old Jan 18, 2022, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott LTP, IHG P, SK EBG
Feel the same way too. We had multiple issues with a RI, the GM promised us 20k points as compensation and he didn't follow through. So we escalated the issue to Marriott - all they did was to document everything we wrote and that is. Haven't heard a word from them since they confirmed that they documented everything. The hotel got away with giving us a suite with a non-functioning freezer (and not properly cleaned suite) and then another suite with a semi-functioning freezer for 6 nights (couldn't put ice-cream there overnight), and almost lost our ice-cream (because they misplaced it).

The messed up with my reservation with travel package 7 nights cert - so that it was changed from 2 queen to 1 king and from 5 guests to 2 guests. I called the hotel and no one answered so I called Marriott. The person said I need to go to the hotel tomorrow as he couldn't do anything. I said we were 5 people and we needed a suite that can accommodate all of us. I told him I wanted to speak with a supervisor and I got one and she sorted it out for me - but she forgot to put in my name (Mr.'s reservation). Didn't realize until check-in and it was another drama.

Marriott didn't state the limited services due to covid and we were shocked by the begging style breakfast, no extra cleaning other than the every 3rd day - again Marriott doesn't give a damn about not informing people so they can make a proper choice.

So what did we get out of this? Nothing so far.

Hilton on the other hand was much better - got a room with cracked walls and the FDC ran my debit card multiple times and couldn't cancel the reserved payment. Wrote to them and they instantly replied instead of telling me they will make a case. I heard back from both HH and the hotel within 48h and got a very satisfactory resolution.

This is HH D vs MB T.

I haven't even experienced SPG! My expectation isn't even high as I live in the land of no service Scandinavia and both Mr. and I thought Marriott was very ok!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.