Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Whatís Marriott Customer Service teamís role?

Whatís Marriott Customer Service teamís role?

Reply

Old Mar 9, 19, 11:15 am
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,262
Whatís Marriott Customer Service teamís role?

Specifically regarding dealing with a case of a unsatisfactory hotel stay.

I had a bad experience with Marriott Customer Service team regarding a case I opened for numerous issues encountered at a property of my stay.
I thought they are supposed to be in a role on behalf of customers to deal with hotels for customersí issues unresolvable by customers alone.

But I found Marriott corporate side has no authority over properties to follow certain standards but just a relay to pass messages back and forth.
Moreover, it came to my shock that a case opened by me since October without a resolution and lack of follow-up since December last year was closed by the property without my knowledge.

I donít understand whatís the point of having Marriott Customer Serviceís team if they can't do anything and they allow property to close customer cases (well, they told me this is corporate policy that property can close cases).

This is my only experience of opening a case for bad hotel stay in 10+ year with SPG and now Marriott. It is probably lack of data point so like to hear experience from others.
wendySFO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 11:25 am
  #2  
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Programs: DL GM,Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium, NEXUS
Posts: 279
Had the same issue very recently. Opened a case with customer service, the hotel didn't respond. I followed up and learned the case was closed, they reopened the case, and the hotel closed it again. Customer service was zero help in enforcing the advertised guarantees.
KRSW and MSPeconomist like this.
Reid is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 12:36 pm
  #3  
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: CPH
Programs: UAMP S, TK M&S E (*G), Marriott P, IHG P
Posts: 7,275
Same thing happened to me too, I asked the lurker here to escalate and it worked.
KRSW likes this.
nacho is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 1:09 pm
  #4  
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 114
It seems with the chat on the app, customer care, surverys, etc...there are too many ways for a guest to communicate to the hotels. It needs to be simplified and they need one outlet. the chat on the app sucks. First off I don't want to download another app, why can't they just text you or you text the hotel? This way no clutter with another app.

I already posted about my thoughts on surveys, they seem counter productive. You've already left the hotel, There's no way to correct a stay that already happened. I also thing TA and most travel reviews are BS. People over exaggerate their "terrible" stay.

Customer care has been hit or miss. I was charged wrong and the hotel didn't respond, the customer care took about 4 months to get it resolved.

My favorite hotel communication was at a Hyatt, I got a text message about 10 minutes after I checked in and said "How is your room?" I liked it so I replied that it was good. The next day I got a text saying "We wanted to check in, How's your stay going? If there is anything we can do for you, please let us know". I felt like they were really involved and connected. They seemed to actually care and want to help if needed.
calguy77 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 1:20 pm
  #5  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: COS
Programs: UA Plat/1.5MM, SPG P100, Marriott LTP(P, coming to you in Jan '19), Hertz Prez, CBP GE, et al
Posts: 1,759
As has been so astutely noted here on many occasions, to Marriott the customers are the property owners/operators, and we are the product that Marriott delivers to said customers. It's a scenario almost exactly as OP describes that caused me to abandon Marriott for SPG some years back.

This is why it's important to air your grievances as publicly and in as great of detail as is possible (e.g. TripAdvisor, Yelp, social media, etc, - and of course here also!). Even if you can't expect any satisfaction from so-called customer service, you can at least hurt offending properties where it counts the most by driving away at least some bookings in telling your story publicly.
CCIE_Flyer is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 1:57 pm
  #6  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 354
Without knowing what were the issues raised itís difficult to say if there was anything CS could do. Marriott can only enforce the loyalty programís rules and that brandís operational standardsóand even then, only those that are clearly enforceable and not dependant on the propertyís subjective assessment. Apart from that, Marriott may only suggest a resolution regarding a dispute with a guest, which the property may or may not accept, without any consequences. In those instances, depending on jurisdiction, guests may find better outcomes with local governments, tourist boards, bbbís, etc. People tend to think Marriott has some sort of authority over the hotels, but it hasnít: it doesnít own the real estate nor the business venture operating the hotel and very frequently it doesnít even manage the hotel on behalf of its owner. Marriott licenses its brands and management and booking solutions to third-party companies that operate independently from it under a few loose guidelines.
writerguyfl likes this.
MePlatPremier is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 3:03 pm
  #7  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, IC RA, Hyatt DM, HH DM
Posts: 469
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier View Post
Marriott may only suggest a resolution regarding a dispute with a guest, which the property may or may not accept, without any consequences.
That wasnít how SPG manage their brands, Iím sure property category, guest review and sort ranking puts pressure to ensure hotels try their best.

In an industry where guest satisfaction and reviews can literally turn a property upside down, only Marriott could turn a blind eye and find distraction somewhere else.
PointWeasel, KRSW and supatight80 like this.
miloworld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 3:13 pm
  #8  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by miloworld View Post


That wasnít how SPG manage their brands, Iím sure property category, guest review and sort ranking puts pressure to ensure hotels try their best.

In an industry where guest satisfaction and reviews can literally turn a property upside down, only Marriott could turn a blind eye and find distraction somewhere else.
Thatís precisely how it worked with SPG. As with Marriott currently, guest satisfaction surveys influence a slight component of the monies Marriott pays properties. Thatís about it. Of course, a good GM will work to correct any issues reported, but I wouldnít count on that kind of attitude from a CY or a 4P.
MePlatPremier is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 3:39 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: SFO
Programs: UA 1K 1MM; AS MVPG; Marriott Plat Premier; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Refugeeist
Posts: 38,517
What's Marriott Customer Service Team's Role?
Apparently to alert the property that a case has been opened, so the property can promptly close it with no resolution.
Kacee is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 4:24 pm
  #10  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: SFO
Programs: UA MMGold, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat
Posts: 1,262
Originally Posted by MePlatPremier View Post
Without knowing what were the issues raised itís difficult to say if there was anything CS could do. Marriott can only enforce the loyalty programís rules and that brandís operational standardsóand even then, only those that are clearly enforceable and not dependant on the propertyís subjective assessment. Apart from that, Marriott may only suggest a resolution regarding a dispute with a guest, which the property may or may not accept, without any consequences. In those instances, depending on jurisdiction, guests may find better outcomes with local governments, tourist boards, bbbís, etc. People tend to think Marriott has some sort of authority over the hotels, but it hasnít: it doesnít own the real estate nor the business venture operating the hotel and very frequently it doesnít even manage the hotel on behalf of its owner. Marriott licenses its brands and management and booking solutions to third-party companies that operate independently from it under a few loose guidelines.
This is not a thread about issues at the property so I leave it out for some other time. What I want to find out is if I have the wrong expectation of Marriott's "Customer Service" team. They are listed as "Loyalty Program Members Customer Service" when I looked up their phone number. But some how I don't see they did anything to support me as a Loyal Program member.

I assume Customer Service team has guideline and judgement calls to accept cases, Marriott corporate should have influence and means to manage the properties who bear the Marriott brands. It is unreasonable to expect Customer Service team can have magic to turn things around but I don't feel it is right they don't followup what they said they will (for example, some one suppose to get back to me on certain date, it never happened after two months), and allow property to close case opened by customers without justification and not even notify whoever opened the case.
wendySFO is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 4:48 pm
  #11  
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Location: Hong Kong
Programs: SPG/Marriott Plat, IC RA, Hyatt DM, HH DM
Posts: 469
Originally Posted by wendySFO View Post
This is not a thread about issues at the property so I leave it out for some other time. What I want to find out is if I have the wrong expectation of Marriott's "Customer Service" team. They are listed as "Loyalty Program Members Customer Service" when I looked up their phone number. But some how I don't see they did anything to support me as a Loyal Program member.

I assume Customer Service team has guideline and judgement calls to accept cases, Marriott corporate should have influence and means to manage the properties who bear the Marriott brands. It is unreasonable to expect Customer Service team can have magic to turn things around but I don't feel it is right they don't followup what they said they will (for example, some one suppose to get back to me on certain date, it never happened after two months), and allow property to close case opened by customers without justification and not even notify whoever opened the case.
No, they have no interest in your loyalty. I thought they were only clueless about SPG terms. One time I called, the agent didnít even know the night requirements for Bonvoy Plat. Thatís not even a new tier and has not changed with SPG/Bonvoy involvements.

Kinda fail if you work at a ticket booth and canít put your finger on the price of standard Adult admission.
miloworld is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 5:06 pm
  #12  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 354
Originally Posted by wendySFO View Post
This is not a thread about issues at the property so I leave it out for some other time. What I want to find out is if I have the wrong expectation of Marriott's "Customer Service" team. They are listed as "Loyalty Program Members Customer Service" when I looked up their phone number. But some how I don't see they did anything to support me as a Loyal Program member.

I assume Customer Service team has guideline and judgement calls to accept cases, Marriott corporate should have influence and means to manage the properties who bear the Marriott brands. It is unreasonable to expect Customer Service team can have magic to turn things around but I don't feel it is right they don't followup what they said they will (for example, some one suppose to get back to me on certain date, it never happened after two months), and allow property to close case opened by customers without justification and not even notify whoever opened the case.
Again, it is hard to know the answer without you telling what was the issue. Did you complain about a bad experience, maybe something wrong with service, some lost lugagge, some divergence regarding a F&B charge? Marriott is absolutely powerless to help you with that. They will open a case for you if you ask but the outcome will be whatever the property wants it to be. Was something wrong with the brand standards or compliance with the programís rules? In that case Marriott may levy a fine on the property and charge them some goodwill points for you. Thatís it. Btw, we may be members of the loyalty program but properties are the participants in the program. It may be hard to comprehend, but itís them that Marriott caters to. They pay Marriott hundreds of millions of dollars a year in fees.

Last edited by MePlatPremier; Mar 9, 19 at 5:42 pm
MePlatPremier is online now  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 5:24 pm
  #13  
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Programs: UA Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
Posts: 4
Marriott's Customer Service is literally non existent. Called the Platinum Service line and had to hold for over 10 minutes. Its awful. So sad the merge happened. Everything that was great about SPG is now gone.
UA-NYC, supatight80 and yurtripper like this.
freezephotog is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 5:29 pm
  #14  
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In the air
Programs: BA Gold, Marriott Amb, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Plat
Posts: 5,596
I speak from a position of some privilege as an Ambassador member (and someone with a really good Ambassador), but even I've got the impression that a significant part of the acquisition cost savings have come from weaker central programme enforcement of benefits. Starwood had a reasonably good reputation for all its guests at taking action when hotels did not fulfill either the programme benefits or basic hotel expectations, whereas now I have little to no confidence that even with my superstar Ambassador I would have any compensation in anything but the most egregious service.
KRSW, supatight80 and soartoday like this.
EuropeanPete is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 19, 5:59 pm
  #15  
2019 FlyerTalk Awards
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 354
There is now this idyllic version of how wonderful and marvellous the SPG times were and how everything worked just perfectly and smoothly with them. I understand that it is part of a coping mechanism regarding this transition and the result of a Marriott-bashing culture that is now become the normative narrative on this forum. However, as a SPG member since 2001, either Gold or Plat for most of that time, Iíve had a handful of cases opened with them and I can tell that the outcome was zilch. Each and everytime they sided with the property or simply decided there was nothing they could do about it. Iíve also had during those years a few cases of communications to SPG not being answered or issues being dropped by them without any notice. True, SPG staff was always extremely deferential and apologetic and always grateful for my continued loyalty and very honoured to be dealing with a distinguished plat member such as myself. Marriott addresses me on a first-name basis and has an unfriendly, no-frills dry approach in its communications to customers. However, the end result is almost always the same.
MePlatPremier is online now  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread