Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: free agent
I wouldn't apply for this card just because of the name. Let's face it - Bonvoy sounds absolutely ridiculous to start with. "Bonvoy Brilliant" for the higher end spenders? Can you just imagine whipping out your Bonvoy Brilliant card to impress the ladies?

I think I'd prefer a Marriott Mickey Mouse card.

Total marketing fail, IMHO.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:21 pm

Is there any way to know how much credit out of that $300 is left or is reset besides doing your own calculations? Its so easy with other Amex cards like Aspire, Platinum, Gold where you could just see the bar and know if you have used your credit or not. Why not this one? Did i miss something?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:23 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, AC Elite, Airmiles Gold, Hertz Gold Plus Rewards
This is US residents only product... Wonder if it come to Canada... I would take it -- with $300 MR expense credit makes sense to me to off-set the annual fee. Very similar to Canadian high end Aeroplan products (both Amex and Visa).

$300 -- is against any charge at a Bonvoy hotels?
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:24 pm

Originally Posted by Medved
This is US residents only product... Wonder if it come to Canada... I would take it -- with $300 MR expense credit makes sense to me to off-set the annual fee. Very similar to Canadian high end Aeroplan products (both Amex and Visa).

Correct
Old Feb 14, 2019, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott: Titanium, SQ: Gold, UA: Silver, Hilton: Diamond, Wyndham - Diamond, TR - Diamond
Originally Posted by nexusCFX
Yes that is indeed the case. If you google "Marriott cross issuer rules" you can find a number of articles that will explain the specifics, and if you do an upgrade or new application make sure to check the offer terms because there will be a list of various exclusions relating to holding, having held, or getting bonuses on other Marriott cards across both issuers.
Anyone who upgraded the Chase Marriott Premier Visa to Premier Plus for, 10k, 20k or more points also is excluded from the bonus for at least 2 years.

Welcome offer not available to applicants who... "or (iii)received a new Card Member bonus or upgrade offer for the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ from Chase, Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Plus Business from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 24 months."

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/c...-0#offer-terms

Bit of a bummer as I'd rather dump the premier plus and get this one. One issue might be travel in Asia.. American Express may not be accepted in as many places???
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select
Originally Posted by cab747
I upgraded my Chase Marriott Premier Visa back in October 2018 to the Chase Marriott Premier Plus Visa. Now my old SPG Card has an upgrade offer to the SPG Lux (Bonvoy Brilliant) for 100K/$5K spend. I’m skeptical because I received the upgrade bonus on the Chase side, but love when the upgrade offer is as lucrative as the new accounts to avoid the hard pull. I don’t think I’ll be able to get it despite the offer. I also don’t like that there is no longer a downgrade path if I product change my old SPG Amex; it’s either renew or close.
I am on the same boat as you, but nervous to pull the tigger. For the 100k pts, it is worth it if they make good on the upgrade offer. Any thoughts?!

Actually, I clicked on my T&C for the upgrade and there is no mention of having the other cards that would exclude you from this offer. Whereas, it is very clear in the other T&C that you can't do that.

Last edited by lasnowgirl; Feb 14, 2019 at 4:40 pm Reason: Added Comment
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
Will be accepted in the hotels where it makes the most sense to use it.... Or in higher end restaurants....
Old Feb 14, 2019, 4:08 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM, JPMorgan Reserve, Bonvoy Titanium & LTP
Between 40 - 80K.... Depending exposure with issuing bank....
Old Feb 14, 2019, 5:28 pm

Programs: AA EXP/LT PLAT, Marriott Titanium/LT PLAT
I tried to apply for the Bonvoy Business Amex with the same offer. After filling everything out on the screen, a pop up came up and said I wasn’t eligible for this offer since I have had the Amex offer before. You can then choose to either continue with the application for a new card or cancel. I cancelled.

I had gotten the SPG personal and business card back in 2011 and cancelled a few years later. I also got the Amex Luxury card when it came out last year and got the 100k bonus.

Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:33 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite (Lifetime Gold), United 1K
I swear I'm losing my mind, my account it showing as a Marriot Bonvoy Brilliant card but I don't remember upgrading at all. I see an adjusted membership fee on 11/2/18 which means I must have accepted something.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Platinum, Hilton LT Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by lasnowgirl
I am on the same boat as you, but nervous to pull the tigger. For the 100k pts, it is worth it if they make good on the upgrade offer. Any thoughts?!

Actually, I clicked on my T&C for the upgrade and there is no mention of having the other cards that would exclude you from this offer. Whereas, it is very clear in the other T&C that you can't do that.
You are correct, but they do retract. One person here suggested taking them to small claims court, but they know it’s not worth the time and expense.

Amex = liars
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cmatthews11
I swear I'm losing my mind, my account it showing as a Marriot Bonvoy Brilliant card but I don't remember upgrading at all. I see an adjusted membership fee on 11/2/18 which means I must have accepted something.
My Chase account page is showing similar (no adjusted fee though). I'm pretty sure it's an error, as I still have a crappy upgrade offer if I click the upgrade link (https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall).
Originally Posted by kalo93406
Anyone who upgraded the Chase Marriott Premier Visa to Premier Plus for, 10k, 20k or more points also is excluded from the bonus for at least 2 years.

Welcome offer not available to applicants who... "or (iii)received a new Card Member bonus or upgrade offer for the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless™ from Chase, Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier from Chase, the Marriott Rewards® Premier Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy™ Premier Plus Business from Chase or the Marriott Rewards® Premier Plus Business Credit Card from Chase in the last 24 months."
Pretty harsh. I got the basic Marriott Card about 20 months ago, have not upgraded it, yet this language would seem to exclude me from an upgrade bonus.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Medved

What is considered a Bonvoy hotel for the purpose of the $300 credit? I stay at a Mariott Vacation Club in Palm Desert every year during the summer (when the heat drives the rates down) and was wondering if the $300 credit would apply to this hotel resort. The Mariott Bonvoy hotel website states "explore our brands..." and lists a bunch of different brands (including Mariott Vacation Club). I would only consider getting this card if the $300 is for any of the Mariott branded properties since that makes the AF $150 after the $300 credit. And $150 for an annual certificate is probably break even. Well now that I think about is this card a churn or a keeper? I'm not sure why I would want to keep it after getting the 100k bonus-since I only stay at 1-3 Mariott branded properties a year.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 7:26 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA Plat, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Glob, IHG ♢ Amb, Hilton ♢, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by kalo93406

Bit of a bummer as I'd rather dump the premier plus and get this one. One issue might be travel in Asia.. American Express may not be accepted in as many places???
Originally Posted by Kacee
My Chase account page is showing similar (no adjusted fee though). I'm pretty sure it's an error, as I still have a crappy upgrade offer if I click the upgrade link (https://www.chase.com/chasegreatrewards/catchall).

Pretty harsh. I got the basic Marriott Card about 20 months ago, have not upgraded it, yet this language would seem to exclude me from an upgrade bonus.
Wouldn't it make more sense to just apply directly for the Bonvoy Brilliant card anyway (rather than upgrade)? After all, you then would have two Marriott cards (the Brilliant and the Basic) and then have two free nights instead of one. Yes, the Basic comes with a $95 annual fee - but that is easily recouped by the 35,000 point level free night.

Just be sure to wait >24 months from your last bonus on the Marriott basic card to ensure when you apply for the Bonvoy Brilliant that you're eligible for whatever bonus is in play then. Can't imagine it'll be less than 100k whenever that is.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 2:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Bonvoy titanium
Card came in the mail today. They shipped a plastic SPG Card with a leaflet in the package indicating they will send a new metal card at some point in the future with the bonvoy branding

i dont mind so long long as the numbers don’t change but I’m a bit surprised Amex wasn’t more prepaired given the campaign and bonus points. I’d assume quite a few new cards will be activated

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.