Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by crimsona
No, I was looking for it for a trip but when I looked through the list the matching date was a 35k one
I believe I saw some DPs that after downgrading, people received two certs: 85k and 35k
Old Mar 25, 2024, 9:00 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
No, I was looking for it for a trip but when I looked through the list the matching date was a 35k one
That's odd. I have a later DP in which we downgraded a Brilliant to the $95 card on 1/18/24 (about a month after the anniversary) and did receive the 85k cert.
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by liw5215
I believe I saw some DPs that after downgrading, people received two certs: 85k and 35k
Well, I did not and now I'm having to modify some travel plans to accommodate one less 85k night
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:03 pm

Originally Posted by friedablass
That's odd. I have a later DP in which we downgraded a Brilliant to the $95 card on 1/18/24 (about a month after the anniversary) and did receive the 85k cert.
I downgraded 4 days after anniversary so perhaps there's some timing impact there, like maybe needing the statement to close first
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:43 pm

Originally Posted by liw5215
I've never seen such a DP, was it here on FT? Can you reference or link to that?

I downgraded 4 days after anniversary so perhaps there's some timing impact there, like maybe needing the statement to close first
Perhaps I'm confusing anniversary with AF posting but we downgraded about a month after the AF posted solely because I forgot to do it until then and got a pro- rated refund. I actually don't recall when the exact date of the anniversary is. Had your AF posted yet when you canceled or you just know your anniversary date and canceled based on that? Perhaps you need to wait until the AF posts to get the 85k cert?
Old Mar 25, 2024, 11:45 pm

I've never seen such a DP, was it here on FT? Can you reference or link to that?

Perhaps I'm confusing anniversary with AF posting but we downgraded about a month after the AF posted solely because I forgot to do it until then and got a pro- rated refund. I actually don't recall when the exact date of the anniversary is. Had your AF posted yet when you canceled or you just know your anniversary date and canceled based on that? Perhaps you need to wait until the AF posts to get the 85k cert?
I write down my card opening date so I know what my true anniversary is. Annual fee had not posted yet as my statement close day is maybe two weeks later
Old Mar 26, 2024, 9:00 am

I write down my card opening date so I know what my true anniversary is. Annual fee had not posted yet as my statement close day is maybe two weeks later
When you downgraded what did the refund of the Brilliant AF and the charge for the legacy card AF look like (meaning, what were the amounts)?

I'm thinking that waiting for the AF to post and downgrading from that day on will get you the 85k cert but doing it before that will not.
SPN Lifer, happychic and gudugan like this.
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:05 pm

When you downgraded what did the refund of the Brilliant AF and the charge for the legacy card AF look like (meaning, what were the amounts)?

I'm thinking that waiting for the AF to post and downgrading from that day on will get you the 85k cert but doing it before that will not.
A reasonable assumption, was charged 6 and change for annual fee and refunded roughly 30 bucks for the brilliant.

​​​​​​Even though it was after my card opening date the true trigger might be the statement close with the new fee
Old Mar 26, 2024, 11:11 pm

A reasonable assumption, was charged 6 and change for annual fee and refunded roughly 30 bucks for the brilliant.

​​​​​​Even though it was after my card opening date the true trigger might be the statement close with the new fee
That's what it sounds like because you were refunded and charged a pro-rated amount just for the few days you had remaining until the new AF. Then a few days later the new $95 AF posted which told the system that you now need to get a 35k cert in a couple of weeks because that's what you're "paying for". When it's the $650 that hits the account for the Brilliant then it triggers the 85k cert.
SPN Lifer and gudugan like this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
I got the Brilliant card last April for my wife who was nearing LT platinum. As of today, she has 9 years of platinum. Her current night count is 48, courtesy of this card and a business card and 8 actual nights. If I cancel her card in April, will she still be at the 48 nights or will she lose the 25 nights posted 1/1/24 from this card?
Old Mar 27, 2024, 12:37 pm

Originally Posted by txpenny
I got the Brilliant card last April for my wife who was nearing LT platinum. As of today, she has 9 years of platinum. Her current night count is 48, courtesy of this card and a business card and 8 actual nights. If I cancel her card in April, will she still be at the 48 nights or will she lose the 25 nights posted 1/1/24 from this card?
Once you get the nights they dont pull them back
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Mar 27, 2024, 2:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Mar AMB, HH LT DIA
Originally Posted by Schnit
My wife never travels for business. The sole purpose of her account is for CC rewards. All personal stays with the except of FNC go on my account.

YTD my wife now has 25 nights from Brilliant + 15 nights for Business. 40 nights total. So simply having it as part of the card will give you 1 year toward lifetime status.

What I wonder is next year, when i likely downgrade her card without a good retention offer, what will happen? They say the Platinum status will go away, but will she go back down to 1 lifetime night or stay at 2?
Originally Posted by Schnit
Once you get the nights they dont pull them back
Thanks, that was my hunch.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 10:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum (Lifetime Gold), Caesars Diamond
I downgraded Brilliant to the $95 card. No retention offer. Got the Boundless 5x 50k and hitting LTP soon, happy to not deal with dining credits for now

The terms that the rep read say that the cert you get is dependent on what card you have at the anniversary (renewal) date. Anniversary date doesn't change with product change.
However it may actually be (as in #3759) that the system triggers it when the AF posts
Old Apr 12, 2024, 8:46 pm

Do the SUB points post shortly after spend met or next statement?

Hi, I just got the Brilliant card tonight and have a big spend ($15K) coming up in the next few days. As soon as I see the $15K charge hit the card, I'll pay it off ASAP --well before the end of this first billing cycle.

Can anyone tell me if the 185K points will post shortly after the $15K payment or will I need to wait until the end of the billing cycle to see these points posted?

Thanks in advance!
Old Apr 12, 2024, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by atxflyer88
Hi, I just got the Brilliant card tonight and have a big spend ($15K) coming up in the next few days. As soon as I see the $15K charge hit the card, I'll pay it off ASAP --well before the end of this first billing cycle.

Can anyone tell me if the 185K points will post shortly after the $15K payment or will I need to wait until the end of the billing cycle to see these points posted?

Thanks in advance!
My experience with Amex is that the sign-up bonus posts very soon after the charge dollar threshold has been reached. The statement closing and the payment being made don't seem to impact the sign-up bonus timing.

So no need to pay off the $15K fast, based on my experience.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.