Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by tomwhom
Can I chat with Amex and get a virtual card number to use for the dining credit today? I will receive my card tomorrow, end of Sep.
Not possible. Tried this a couple of months back.
tomwhom likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:04 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Originally Posted by tomwhom
Can I chat with Amex and get a virtual card number to use for the dining credit today? I will receive my card tomorrow, end of Sep.
Originally Posted by joakgarp
Not possible. Tried this a couple of months back.
It's interesting that every time I get approved for a Plat Biz card I am immediately thereafter offered to have my card number and temporary CVV displayed to be able to use until the physical card arrives - the card number they give me is the actual number I'm going to have, only the CVV changes on the real card. I always accept the offer and also am able to add the card to my online account in the process. I wonder why they don't offer this service with the Brilliant applications.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
I applied for the card a few weeks ago, under the old promotion and, so far, received:

- the $300 hotel stay credit
- a $25 restaurant credit for the month of September
- 75,000 Bonvoy points

On my first statement, I was charged $450 for the annual fee. Not a bad deal if I get the 11 other restaurant credits.

I am not sure if the 50K-point complimentary night will be posted soon on my account or if it will be credited the month after the card anniversary, as it is the case for the updated card with the 85K-point free night.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
Originally Posted by friedablass
It's interesting that every time I get approved for a Plat Biz card I am immediately thereafter offered to have my card number and temporary CVV displayed to be able to use until the physical card arrives - the card number they give me is the actual number I'm going to have, only the CVV changes on the real card. I always accept the offer and also am able to add the card to my online account in the process. I wonder why they don't offer this service with the Brilliant applications.
Actually they do offer this with the Brilliant application but if you decide to not show the card number, you won't be given the chance again, even if you phone in or chat with Amex.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:18 pm

Programs: AC 50K, WS Gold, MB Titanium, National EE, UA Silver
Originally Posted by UASPG
I applied for the card a few weeks ago, under the old promotion and, so far, received:

- the $300 hotel stay credit
- a $25 restaurant credit for the month of September
- 75,000 Bonvoy points

On my first statement, I was charged $450 for the annual fee.

I am not sure if the 50K-point complimentary night will be posted soon on my account or if it will be credited the month after the card anniversary, as it is the case for the updated card with the 85K-point free night.
You get the FNA upon renewal in your 2nd year.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:22 pm

Programs: UA 2MM * Marriott Ambassador LT Titanium * IHG Diamond Ambassador * Hilton Diamond *
Originally Posted by c224488
You get the FNA upon renewal in your 2nd year.
Even under the previous offer, right?
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:34 pm

Originally Posted by joakgarp
Actually they do offer this with the Brilliant application but if you decide to not show the card number, you won't be given the chance again, even if you phone in or chat with Amex.
There's really no harm in accepting to be shown your card number so I've always done it, but especially now that you're telling me this (that you can't get it off you decline) I'll be sure to always get the number.

It's Murphys law by me that I'll always have a big purchase to make or I'll have a purchase I can get credit for before the card actually arrives. So I learnt the hard way just to get the number immediately and have it just in case.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 2:49 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by lsquare
LT Platinum seems kind of useless now with the CC. I feel bad for the people that invested in the program. At least LT Titanium still means something.
yep. the cc basically means LT Plat, and if held long enough will actually literally make one LT Plat
dw likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 4:56 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by lsquare
LT Platinum seems kind of useless now with the CC. I feel bad for the people that invested in the program. At least LT Titanium still means something.
All of us who invested in the program should feel bad. All of us arranging vacations specifically to requalify or to make LT should feel bad. All of us who convinced companies and clients too book us at Marriotts should feel bad .

We spent money and effort and now Marriott has debased the program than anyone can spend literally several hundred dollars and get platinum

Marriott basically values Platinum at $650 USD minus a free night certificate and dining. In other words, Marriott values Platinum at several hundred dollars at best, but in reality virtually nothing.

Expect more devaluations.
Pocatello and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by SHLTP
All of us who invested in the program should feel bad. All of us arranging vacations specifically to requalify or to make LT should feel bad. All of us who convinced companies and clients too book us at Marriotts should feel bad .

We spent money and effort and now Marriott has debased the program than anyone can spend literally several hundred dollars and get platinum

Marriott basically values Platinum at $650 USD minus a free night certificate and dining. In other words, Marriott values Platinum at several hundred dollars at best, but in reality virtually nothing.

To be fair to Marriott, Hilton did this first, and they're basically a churner's paradise with how easily obtainable Amex HH cards are.

Considering all the airlines are going to revenue/spend models, I'm surprised the hotel chains haven't followed suit. The whole EQN business seems kind of silly when you could drop $20k at Hyatt and earn Globalist through spend alone (or less for the lower tiers).
gudugan likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:27 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by SHLTP

I for one appreciate my platinum status I get for $450 this year for my international trips where platinum status has gotten incredible value
Old Sep 29, 2022, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Amex can be all over the place with the timing of reimbursements but I've seen those sometimes take up to 2 weeks. Hopefully you will get it if it's a qualifying charge (not like Google Fi which has not been reimbursed).

Either way, last week wasn't so close to the end of the month so that's for sure not the issue. I was just addressing the fact that it's the 2nd to last day of September so hopefully you will get the dining credit for today's purchase for September and not for October.
I'm aware that Google Fi seems to have issues with AMEX, which is why I'm not using that service. I made the payment to T-Mobile and it has already been posted.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic
To be fair to Marriott, Hilton did this first, and they're basically a churner's paradise with how easily obtainable Amex HH cards are.

Considering all the airlines are going to revenue/spend models, I'm surprised the hotel chains haven't followed suit. The whole EQN business seems kind of silly when you could drop $20k at Hyatt and earn Globalist through spend alone (or less for the lower tiers).
How can you earn Globalist for $20k spend only without any stays? Sorry if this is OT, but I thought you had to spend a lot more than that to get Globalist without any stays.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 6:24 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, HH G, BR Diamond/*G, BAEC Gold, Hertz PC
How can you earn Globalist for $20k spend only without any stays? Sorry if this is OT, but I thought you had to spend a lot more than that to get Globalist without any stays.
Globalist status is earned by 60 nights OR 100,000 Base Points OR 20 meetings / events. One Dollar spent is five Base Points hence the $20k. For example, spending money on certain Spas/Restaurants (primarily in Hyatt hotels) or National Geographic/Lindblad cruises (i.e. Antarctica cruise) count towards base points.
Old Sep 29, 2022, 7:42 pm
formerly known as s2kdriver80

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, SPG, Marriott Rewards, Amex MR, Chase UR
Originally Posted by Anish
Just got my card application approved today. Any idea how long it takes for the Plat status to reflect with Bonvoy? I have a couple of stays next week and would be nice to use the benefits
FedEx delivered my Brilliant today. Just checked the Marriott app - it shows PE status.
Check the app, you might already be PE.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.