Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:34 am

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by eponymous_coward
IMO, if you consider the dining credit and the 85k room night the two things you can "break even" on (given that everyone and their uncle puts Priority Pass and Global Entry reimbursement on a card and the value of Platinum is pretty ineffable and dependent on stays), you need to be using the cert instead of paying $350 on a hotel room for a single night to "break even". That's not as easy as you think given that ADR in the US is well below $150.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...us-since-2005/

Which is exactly why AMEX and Marriott want this, if you recall this card had a $20 monthly dining credit in 2021.

https://onemileatatime.com/amex-dini...eless-credits/

It undoubtedly increased the amount of use those cards got. Having Brilliant cards in a sock drawer save for cashing out the $300 Marriott credit doesn't serve AMEX or Marriott.
it’s one thing when it’s a promo, ie “free money” but just an annoyance when it’s you have to pay upfront and then remember each month to recoup the fee.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 9:40 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
A few points:

1) The average “luxury” rate last week was $415 in the US - so many ways to recoup the $350

2) For those more interested in lower priced hotels, downgrade to the $95 fee card makes more sense. The card is aimed towards “luxury” buyers

3) The $25 monthly usage is annoying but pretty easy - a few lunches or coffees at work should do
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:02 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Polytonic
I've seen quite a few charges with the APLPAY prefix. I've never had a problem with charges posting correctly (e.g. bonus earn category, credits, etc.) when paying through Apple Pay.

That is so weird. That box doesn't render at all for me on Firefox, but on a whim I checked on a different browser, and it does appear I've earned $25 in credits for September. I paid for my coffee shop punch card (~$55) for it through Apple Pay last week (23rd or so?).

I have yet to see the credit post though. I put another $25 in actual restaurant spend (via Square online ordering site thingy w/ a real restaurant) so I'll report back if it turns out this was the transaction that counted (I suspect the coffee shop counted for it though).
Update: dining credit posted this morning as $25 "Brilliant Dining Credit" prior to my other restaurant spend posting, so I can confirm that spend at coffee shops and spending through Apple Pay both work for the purposes of redeeming the dining credit.
lsquare and Illinwu like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:05 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, IHG Diamond
Originally Posted by LIH Prem
Anybody see any dining credits post when using Apple Pay yet?

With the digital wallet/wireless terminal exception in the T&Cs for the dining credits (using the word "may") I'm wondering if anybody has seen this? I paid using Apple Pay with the card at a local pizza place that uses a square reader. With a Citibank (non-Amex) card, the category is Dining/Fast Food, and it posts as SQ* PIZZA FRESH ... With Amex, the transaction posted today as "APLPAY PIZZA FRESH MAKAWAO HI"

I don't think I've even seen a charge post with the APLPAY prefix before.

It just posted today as of Sept 25, Statement closed on Sept 25. Will be interesting to see if a credit posts or not.

-David
i paid dining with applepay on Saturday, still nothing, but it coded as 3x dining... Might actually use card again in store just to hit the $25 for this month... and try applepay again next month lol
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: MB Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, UA Silver
Originally Posted by TerryK
Any DP to see if Ubereats/Grubhub etc count as restaurant spend?
Credit just posted for me on DoorDash, so should work on Ubereats/Grubhub. Can do some stacking with Amex Gold/Plat and possibly earn a bit more Marriott points through Ubereats.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Oceanic Airlines Gold Elite
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
it’s one thing when it’s a promo, ie “free money”
It's never free money, that was AMEX and Marriott trying to goose credit card usage at a time when hotel stays were way down and collecting some data, as it turns out.

Originally Posted by escapefromphl
but just an annoyance when it’s you have to pay upfront and then remember each month to recoup the fee.
Sure, and of course AMEX and Marriott are hoping for either breakage or just using the card more frequently for dining and overall.

Originally Posted by Adelphos
The average “luxury” rate last week was $415 in the US - so many ways to recoup the $350
Sure. But a ~$65 savings (and hey, possibly WAY more!) where you have to pony $350 up front isn't amazeballs.

My problem is that a one day stay at a luxury hotel is hardly enough for a nice relaxing luxury stay. Which is probably also what AMEX and Marriott are counting on.

For those more interested in lower priced hotels, downgrade to the $95 fee card makes more sense. The card is aimed towards “luxury” buyers
Very much so. This is probably going to make me defect to Chase since once I perform the correct dance steps the Boundless is a reasonable option (and another SUB).

The $25 monthly usage is annoying but pretty easy - a few lunches or coffees at work should do
Agreed, I nailed that $20 credit the 11 months I had it on the Brilliant in 2021.

All told it's been an excellent ride for $1350 in annual fees from 2020-2023:

- $600 in Marriott credits
- $620 in monthly dining credits from 2021-2023 ($220 in 2021, $100 in 2022, $300 in 2023)
- Platinum status in 2021 from holding the card, earned Platinum for 2022 (wind-aided because of one time credits + Marriott credits + points stays), Platinum in 2023
- 125k Marriott points via SUB (100k + 25k at 2021 renewal)
- 50k cert in 2022 (burned at Montcalm East)
- 85k cert in 2023

Easily worth paying $1350 out of pocket over 3 years. Going forward for $650 for dining credit + 85k cert... probably not.
SPN Lifer, Boraxo and Polytonic like this.

Last edited by eponymous_coward; Sep 27, 2022 at 11:02 am
Old Sep 27, 2022, 11:32 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT, DL PLAT, RITZ CARLTON PLAT, HILTON GOLD
Originally Posted by TravelerMSY
It was getting annoying that my Ritz Carlton card free night barely had enough points to actually get me into a decent RC.
eponymous_coward likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 11:33 am

Programs: AMEX PLAT, DL PLAT, RITZ CARLTON PLAT, HILTON GOLD
[QUOTE=TravelerMSY;34630094]It was getting annoying that my Ritz Carlton card free night barely had enough points to actually get me into a decent RC.[.

It allowed me to stay at The Gwen Luxury Collection in Chicago. That’s a lovely hotel.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by TerryK
Any DP to see if Ubereats/Grubhub etc count as restaurant spend?
No. Ubereats won't be counted as restaurant spend although it's coded as restaurant.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:41 pm

Programs: MB Titanium, HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Keisuke Himuro
No. Ubereats won't be counted as restaurant spend although it's coded as restaurant.
I'd be very surprised if Ubereats won't work.

Old Sep 27, 2022, 12:44 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG100K, BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat,
Originally Posted by Keisuke Himuro
??????????????????????????

I just posted and confirmed that my ubereats order posted a few days, using PayPal to boot
renila and friedablass like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz PC
DP, $10.83 charge on 9/23, credit the next day. $20 charged the next day, $14.17 credit. So pretty easy to do some smaller charges and get the $25 credit. Got mine in 2 days.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer

I just posted and confirmed that my ubereats order posted a few days, using PayPal to boot
Originally Posted by Tajador
I'd be very surprised if Ubereats won't work.

Wow that's rude!!

How come mine didn't count?

It is marked as 3X but no credit!
Old Sep 27, 2022, 1:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by TravelingZoomer

Huh. So in theory, we could triple (or quadruple) dip these?

Points From:
- PayPal 5% Uber Eats Offer
- Base/Restaurant Spend
- Marriott/Uber Partnership Bonus Points
- Monthly Dining Credit
eponymous_coward and volabam like this.
Old Sep 27, 2022, 8:01 pm

Originally Posted by Polytonic
Update: dining credit posted this morning as $25 "Brilliant Dining Credit" prior to my other restaurant spend posting, so I can confirm that spend at coffee shops and spending through Apple Pay both work for the purposes of redeeming the dining credit.
Still waiting for mine, but it's only been a day or two. I certainly hope it does post and I don't have to 8 weeks for it to post or not post.

To your previous comment, this is the first time I've seen that wording I quoted above. I've never had an issue with Citibank and other issuers getting dining or other category based credits when I've used Apple Pay or other wireless readers. I've never noticed the AplPay thing before on Amex charges, but I've never looked for it. When I download transactions into Quicken, it will likely simplify the merchant name. On this one, I had to undo the transaction renaming to see it.

-David

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.