Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AmEx Bonvoy Brilliant Luxury Card [General Discussion Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 24, 2022, 5:01 am
Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Originally Posted by GVA
It's not free, it has a $95 AF.
Seems free to me after their new 650 AF card 🤯😮🤷‍♂️
Old Sep 24, 2022, 6:21 am

Originally Posted by wakesetter93
Delta isn't over here giving out free Platinum status with the Reserve card
They do with the Centurion. Plus anybody with a business can earn it in spend.
GUWonder and gudugan like this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:34 am

Originally Posted by PumpkinSmasher
The Ritz card all of a sudden looks more interesting, particularly if you don't have the Sapphire Reserve. The $300 travel credit + 85K FNA cert + the supped up PP membership looks solid.
I'm was still surprised that Marriott mentioned the Ritz in their press release, considering Amex is supposed to be the one offering all the luxury Marriott cards, while Chase gets the basic ones.
I've had the Ritz for 2-3 years and downgraded my CSR last year. It'll be interesting if Chase continues to allow people to get this card via product change.

Originally Posted by Adelphos
I hold the Hilton Aspire, but not sure how it is obviously better than Brilliant

1)The best benefit of Hilton Diamond is better earnings.
5) Hilton’s free night is miles better

To me, Aspire is a $450 card for a superior free night cert and Diamond status. Brilliant is a $350 card for an 85K cert and Platinum status. Brilliant wins IMO (both cards are keepers).
I agree with 2 of your points. The earning potential when combining Hilton Diamond with the Aspire, is head and shoulders above what Marriott offers on their cards. There have been times when I can earn over 20% return when factoring in occasion Hilton Honors promotions.

The Hilton Free Night, as you stated, is certainly more valuable and largely uncapped.

I really don't think the Hilton credits are that difficult to use, and I'm willing to plan a fun weekend away to utilize those yearly resort credits, but the Brilliant's annual fee is $200 higher, meaning higher cash outlay upfront, and more credits to use (monthly vs yearly) just to break even. I can take that $200 blow it on something else, rather than give it to Amex, but both cards, as you said, can be keepers for the right person.

If you stay at Marriotts frequently, having Platinum status may go along way to justifying the annual fee, but holding multiple Aspires has turned me into a Hilton loyalist.

One thing we can both agree on is that Chase and Amex both like money, so when my Ritz card hits $700+ and Amex announces enhanced Aspire benefits, to go along with an $800 annual fee, we can definitely revisit this conversation.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:30 am

Programs: Marriott Platinum - LT Gold
I don't like the terms of the new dining benefit
"In addition, in most cases, you may not receive the statement credit if your transaction is made with an electronic wallet, through a third party, or if the merchant uses a mobile or wireless card reader to process it."

So I may not get the benefit if I use Google wallet? Wth... I use Google wallet all the time. The latest confirmed transaction shows as" Restaurant - Bar & Café" didn't update the status from $0. Purchase made at a hamburger fast food restaurant with Google wallet. Anyone else have any luck with this?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 11:54 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Drwaz99
I requested a new card to get the new design and can report back tomorrow as that's is ETA.
I just got my replacement card ordered on Thursday (said old one was damaged) and it's the new design and metal.
AAdamE likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 12:57 pm

Programs: Alaska Million Mile Flyer, Marriott Lifetime Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by Polytonic
Has anyone had any luck getting the $25 restaurant credit for September? I tried paying for coffee with the card just now to see what happens.
Yes, and it looks like it may have kicked in a couple of days early, or applies to some charges made earlier than Sept. 22. I made a $6.43 charge at a coffee shop (using Google Pay and my Amex Brilliant card) on Sept. 20, and on Sept. 23 I received a "Brillant Dining Credit" of $6.43. Can't imagine why I'd had received it otherwise.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Zorak
​​​​​ The eligibility just started yesterday, so I doubt any such charges have actually posted yet, plus the usual random processing time. I wouldn't think there could be any hard data points on results until the weekend or Monday.
hey guys. do we have info of all the active benefits for current "new/refreshed brilliant" starting as of 9/22?

heres my list so far:

- earning 6/3/2 - Active
- elite status plat - Active? DPs? Im already at Ti
- 25 Elite Night Credits - Active - i got +10 EQN already
- annual free night - TBD - i already got the 50k cert awhile back so i assume everyone else will get 85k after 9/22
- $300 per calendar year (up to $25 back per month) for dining - TBD - i assume SEPT will work since some DPs show credits already
- $60k spend cert - starting January 1, 2023 each calendar year
- annual fee will increase from $450 to $650 - starting January 1, 2023

what else?

Last edited by GundamWing01; Sep 24, 2022 at 4:34 pm
Old Sep 24, 2022, 1:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta Plat, Marriott Plat,Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat
Revisiting

Renewed interest since they made the announcement of all the changes, the switch to restaurant credits alone made this card less interesting.

To revisit the complicated rules of bonus eligibility, I've had the Ritz Card previously, downgraded about 5 months ago to the Boundless. So as I understand it I need to be greater than 30 days since had the Ritz but since I downgraded and didn't cancel it then 90 days has to elapse since getting the Boundless which I've met. So is this correct, I should be eligible for the Brilliant?
Old Sep 24, 2022, 2:00 pm

Originally Posted by Drwaz99
I just got my replacement card ordered on Thursday (said old one was damaged) and it's the new design and metal.
Haha, there is even an entry saying something like "I want to replace my card with the new card design". It will come in first class mail. I guess that's the difference from a damaged card which I suppose gets expedited.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 3:58 pm

Programs: MB-LTT , HH-Diam., HGP-Expl.
Originally Posted by Adelphos
I have access to three airline incidental credits (2x Amex platinum, 1x Aspire) and value them at $50 at most - so I don’t get too much out of them personally. The resort credit is $0 to me as I may visit a Hilton resort organically once every several years. For example, I go to Vegas every couple of years, but I’m just not gonna book one of the eligible resorts there for the credit if I don’t want to. I’d rather just book Wynn or whatever. So for me, all of the Hilton credits are essentially useless (but all are better than Marriott’s “luxury” credit FWIW).
Hotel and airline credit cards are only worth having if you utilize the benefits. My wife and I both have Aspire Cards and Marriott personal and business cards. Since I have Lifetime Titanium, I'm not sure that I will keep the updated Marriott card after the fee increase. My wife will probably keep her card.

There are roughly 300 Hilton resorts, so I've found the credit easy to use. I booked a Waldorf with award nights and will use the two $250 resort credits there. I purchased my airfare with funds from my United Travel Bank account which was funded using airline fee credits

Last edited by rny321; Sep 25, 2022 at 5:49 pm
Old Sep 24, 2022, 4:38 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds
Renewed interest since they made the announcement of all the changes, the switch to restaurant credits alone made this card less interesting.

To revisit the complicated rules of bonus eligibility, I've had the Ritz Card previously, downgraded about 5 months ago to the Boundless. So as I understand it I need to be greater than 30 days since had the Ritz but since I downgraded and didn't cancel it then 90 days has to elapse since getting the Boundless which I've met. So is this correct, I should be eligible for the Brilliant?
https://frequentmiler.com/marriott-card-eligible
https://milestomemories.com/eligible...tt-credit-card
https://basictravelcouple.com/2021/1...ity-rules-more

OFFER TERMS
Welcome offer not available to applicants who have or have had this product or the Starwood Preferred Guest® American Express Luxury Card. We may also consider the number of American Express Cards you have opened and closed as well as other factors in making a decision on your welcome offer eligibility.

Welcome offer not available to applicants who (i) have or have had The Ritz-Carlton® Credit Card from JPMorgan or the J.P. Morgan Ritz-Carlton Rewards® Credit Card in the last 30 days, (ii) have acquired the Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful™ Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card from Chase, or the Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card from Chase in the last 90 days, or (iii) received a new Card Member bonus or upgrade offer for the Marriott Bonvoy Bountiful™ Credit Card from Chase, the Marriott Bonvoy Boundless® Credit Card from Chase, or the Marriott Bonvoy Bold® Credit Card from Chase in the last 24 months.

Last edited by GundamWing01; Sep 25, 2022 at 1:38 pm
Old Sep 24, 2022, 4:52 pm

Programs: Former 1KMM now free as UA Gold MM, former HH D, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Cancelled mine today as the (lower) annual fee came due. Marriott credit was easy enough to use. Don’t need the nights nor the hassle of remembering whether I’ve used it each month; at $650 it is even less attractive.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1P 1MM, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Discoverist
I downgraded from Brilliant to the $95 card during the pandemic and was thinking of upgrading as I have a few stays coming up and could justify with the $300 hotel credit. Will pass given the higher AF and change of credit to dining.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA LTP, UA, DL, HH, Marriott/SPG
DP... spent $20 for lunch on 9/22. Paid with Brilliant. Charge posted 9/22 overnight. This afternoon, meter now shows $20 earned and $5 to go. Credit has not yet posted... probably will post in the next 1-2 days. I also just spent the remaining $5 at a food joint.
SanDiego1K likes this.
Old Sep 24, 2022, 9:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Platinum, Hilton Honors Diamond, Delta Gold
Does Chase have the pop ups like Amex telling you that you won't be eligible for the bonus? Or do you just get declined?

Neither my spouse or I have ever had any Chase Marriott cards. We both have Amex Bonvoy biz for more than 2 years. I have the $95 personal card while my spouse has the Brilliant - was an upgrade a couple of years ago from the $95 version.

So I think my spouse would be able to get a Boundless card but I would need to close my personal card. Is that right? They make these rules so complicated that I'm never sure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.