Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Marriott | Marriott Bonvoy
Reload this Page >

Credit for Convention Stay (Gaylord National Harbor)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 3:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference

So, this is a bit of a mess. I was booked at the Gaylord National Harbor for four nights earlier this month for an event. At check-in, I added my Marriott number and I was told I'd get the welcome amenity. The room was initially supposed to be billed to me (albeit at a discounted rate as a "buy out"), but instead got billed to the event master account. So I don't have a clue as to what I'm supposed to get:
-I think I should have gotten the 1,000 points as a welcome amenity (since that was mentioned explicitly at check-in).
-I'm uncertain as to credits for the four nights, given how the shuffling happened. Had it been paid, I'm pretty sure I should have gotten them; as it is, I can see not getting them, but this is hazy for me.
-I don't expect any points for the four nights (since that ended up being a $0 cost situation for me).
-I *do* think I should be getting credit for incidentals on the room (which I did pay) towards Ambassador status (not that /that/ is happening...). IIRC that was "just" the parking.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
So, this is a bit of a mess. I was booked at the Gaylord National Harbor for four nights earlier this month for an event. At check-in, I added my Marriott number and I was told I'd get the welcome amenity. The room was initially supposed to be billed to me (albeit at a discounted rate as a "buy out"), but instead got billed to the event master account. So I don't have a clue as to what I'm supposed to get:
-I think I should have gotten the 1,000 points as a welcome amenity (since that was mentioned explicitly at check-in).
-I'm uncertain as to credits for the four nights, given how the shuffling happened. Had it been paid, I'm pretty sure I should have gotten them; as it is, I can see not getting them, but this is hazy for me.
-I don't expect any points for the four nights (since that ended up being a $0 cost situation for me).
-I *do* think I should be getting credit for incidentals on the room (which I did pay) towards Ambassador status (not that /that/ is happening...). IIRC that was "just" the parking.
Tough to know what to expect unless you have access to the meeting contract.

Once it is billed to the Master Account, it could be free of charge to the meeting organizer. They typically negotiate room nights at either no cost or greatly reduced cost for staff, etc. And they may have waived MR benefits for these rooms.

Meeting / Conferences / Events are much different then typical one-off reservations.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Unless the contract with the event planner and convention stated otherwise, rooms charged to the master account are not eligible for points or elite status qualification.

As someone who plans events and negotiates the contracts, I always require a provision expressly stating that any guest with elite status will receive points and the full benefits of their elite status if paying the group rate individually. I then make a notation on the rooming list that I give the property.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:11 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by GrayAnderson
Parking is classified as a "non-qualifying charge" in the program's T&C, so no credit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.