Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How best to report Hotel issues?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2019, 7:41 am
Original Poster

How best to report Hotel issues?

I am currently staying at the Durham Marriott City Center, been 2 days now, and ran into a few issues, but this morning was the straw that broke the camels back.
Woke up and went to do my usual morning routine, brush teeth and take a shower. But when I turn on the water, both the sink and shower, the water was very yellow. There was no way I was going to use the water.
I went down to the front desk, and it so happens the general manager of the hotel was there. I told him about the water, and even took a sample of the water in a cup to him. He didn't have an answer is to how he was fixing or when he was fixing the water. I also relayed the other issue I had with the hotel, that being one of the 2 elevators was not working properly. On Monday, the day before, I was in the elevator, and the elevator would not stop or open the door on the ground floor. It would randomly go up and down for about 3-4 times before stopping on the ground floor and opening.
This was also happening this morning, so obviously nothing was done to fix the elevator issue, or put up sign that says the elevator is out of order.

What is the best way to communicate this to Corporate Marriott? This hotel seems to be owned by a 3rd party.
Water from sink

Water from tub
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Absolutely disgusting. DM Marriott Rewards or whatever they're calling themselves on Twitter. Hell, you can Tweet that picture on SNS and I'm sure they will reach out to you.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 8:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Aventine
Absolutely disgusting. DM Marriott Rewards or whatever they're calling themselves on Twitter. Hell, you can Tweet that picture on SNS and I'm sure they will reach out to you.
What is SNS? I am not a big Twitter user....I've posted on Facebook and Reddit
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:35 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Were there no resolutions offered from the manager on duty? The least they could do was change your room..
Old Jan 29, 2019, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bluestrudels
Were there no resolutions offered from the manager on duty? The least they could do was change your room..
Yeah, he offered if I didn't like the hotel, he'll move me to another hotel across the street.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Commie
Yeah, he offered if I didn't like the hotel, he'll move me to another hotel across the street.
I guess that murky water is normal for a rundown dump like his. Pretty bad CS response by a GM.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 10:55 am
Original Poster

I wouldn't be as disappointed/mad, whatever you call it, if the water was the only incident. Add to that, the elevators not being serviced and fixed, or not putting an out of service sign and not let guests use a defective elevator. that all added to my experience with the lack of maintenance and caring at this hotel. And like all organizations, the sentiment comes straight from the top. If your General Manager has this mindset on maintenance and safety, then your front line employees will take the same mentality.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
I'd contact Marriott HQ & focus on the safety issues (elevator malfunctioning/not fixed/no signage) & safety of water. Mention the GM's lack of response. Let them know you're not asking for anything (unless you want to be compensated*), but that you know Marriott cares about its guests safety & this property isn't, that you thought Marriott should be made aware of it so they could address the situation w/ the franchise company & property. You could email Arne (include photos).

* If it were me & I was writing I probably wouldn't ask for compensation so the focus stays on the safety issues. If they offer compensation great, but if not then knowing they'll light a fire under the GM would be good.

Cheers.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: AS MVP/AC75K/AM Gold/UA*S/SPG-Marriott Lifetime Titanium/Accor-FPC Gold/HHDiamond/Hyatt Exp
OAC.

Lately they are the only office that appears to take any action.

The GM lack of concern for the issues is telling.
Old Jan 29, 2019, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
I'd contact Marriott HQ & focus on the safety issues (elevator malfunctioning/not fixed/no signage) & safety of water. Mention the GM's lack of response. Let them know you're not asking for anything (unless you want to be compensated*), but that you know Marriott cares about its guests safety & this property isn't, that you thought Marriott should be made aware of it so they could address the situation w/ the franchise company & property. You could email Arne (include photos).

* If it were me & I was writing I probably wouldn't ask for compensation so the focus stays on the safety issues. If they offer compensation great, but if not then knowing they'll light a fire under the GM would be good.

Cheers.
What is the best email to write to? Is Arne's email published? I already emailed my Ambassador about this incident, but not sure if she is the right person.
BTW - I didn't ask for nor expect any compensation, I am more interested in Corporate awareness of this particular Marriott and its GM's attitude towards guest safety.

Edit: I did find out Arne's email from the various website. I crafted a nicely worded email to Marriott's customer care department, with a CC to my ambassador, and Arne. Lets see what the response will be.

Last edited by Commie; Jan 29, 2019 at 3:17 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.